Atomic Object LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Atomic Object LLC Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2018

4.7
Atomic Object LLC CEO Shawn Crowley and Mike Marsiglia (no image)
Shawn Crowley and Mike Marsiglia
  1. "Amazing group of people, and the work is cool too"

Current Employee - Software Developer & Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are hands-down the best part about working at Atomic. Everyone is just a grade-A thoughtful, interesting, caring human being. I'd happily dig ditches for minimum wage with these people- it's a bonus that I get to do really interesting, challenging work with them. There's lots of good stuff to say about AO, but the simplest way to say it is to direct you to our value mantras (can be found on our website).... It's a really remarkable, unusual thing to be able to say that we /really do/ live them out every day- it's not a marketing campaign or corporate BS.

Cons

The nature of the job is that you don't get to have much say in what you work on. But, it's highly varied, and you're never doing something boring for long.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's awesome.

Atomic Object LLC2018-01-28

"Forward Thinking & Hard Working"

I worked at Atomic Object LLC full-time

Pros

- Surrounded by smart and creative people - Leadership is always striving to improve the company culture and grow the company effectively - Diverse # of projects and clients to work for - Generous profit sharing

Cons

- Like most ambitious and relatively small companies you can be pulled in too many directions at once - There isn't a trajectory for meaningful leadership within the company (aka strategic leadership) - It was still formalizing certain processes and experiencing growing pains while I was there

Atomic Object LLC2017-07-13
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"CEO"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I get to work with, hands down.

Cons

Inadequate time to pursue all the cool opportunities work presents me with.

Atomic Object LLC2017-04-13

"Excellent Fit for a Lifelong Learner"

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC

Pros

From my challenging interview experience to my first projects, Atomic has given me a chance to dive into interesting work and craft my own professional development and growth. I wake up excited to come into work.

Cons

As put by another reviewer, "Atomic isn't a magical, perfect wonderland full of flawless people, but neither is anywhere else." That said, I feel empowered as an Atom to try to continuously make Atomic work better for me as an employee.

Atomic Object LLC2016-11-23
  6. "Join to Learn, Stay for the People"

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at a consultancy like Atomic Object provides a lot of opportunity to learn: programming languages & tools, design practices, project process, and business domains. But where Atomic really excels is it's people. The company's values are truly reflected in its employees. Leadership is accessible, transparent, and attentive. Team members carry their weight and support each other. These are the people that I... want on my team. There is ample opportunity for motivated individuals to identify an opportunity for change or improvement and then serve as a catalyst to promote that change.

Cons

Atomic isn't a magical, perfect wonderland full of flawless people, but neither is anywhere else. It's full of real people working hard and caring a lot about what they do, and owning up to their mistakes when they do happen. Some project assignments are less exciting than others, but none of the assignments are permanent. The company is growing in its ability to provide good support for teams and individual team... members.

Advice to Management

Maintain your high valuation of Atomic's people. They make the company what it is today and will determine what it will be tomorrow.

Atomic Object LLC2016-09-21

"A great place to work marked by trust"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time

Pros

I've never worked anywhere else where we all trust and depend on each other quite like Atomic Object. Everyone in the company works toward a common goal of creating great software for customers, supporting each other. We all care about the work we do, about each other, and about the industry we are making an impact in every day.

Cons

Sometimes the West Michigan frugality creeps a bit too much into our culture. While Atomic is generous with unlimited sick time and other large-scale benefits, smaller-scale costs of doing business—be it money or time—are sometimes offloaded onto employees, and they can add up. While this is common in American business, it feels strange when it comes up at Atomic, because we do such a good job on the larger scale.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing when it comes to encouraging a culture where we all care for each other. Look for more opportunities to make sure that the costs of business are covered by the company as a whole and not shouldered by individuals on their own.

Atomic Object LLC2016-09-10
  8. "Good place for consulting"

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC for more than a year

Pros

I’ve gotten to learn four new technologies in the last year. I can focus on doing what’s right for our clients in the day to day. My team and I manage ourselves once we're on a project, and our supervisors are there to help us when we want some business-related support. I get useful and actionable feedback from coworkers and supervisors. I get to learn about how the business works from open books management. I trust... my supervisors to share about issues that will affect us. Our benefits include attending conferences and counseling. I've seen managers really support people putting family first during tough times. Pay is based on industry data so it’s less dependent on individual negotiation style and skills. My teammates’ focus, kindness, and high standard for respect mean that I can focus on my work. I laugh and learn every day at work. This kind of environment can be a bit harder to find as a queer woman (noting I’m also white, cis, non-disabled). Diversity and inclusion efforts are an ongoing work in progress at AO. Like all places with high aspirations, the talk is ahead of the walk. But AO’s concrete efforts to make the company and the tech community better places for more kinds of people and its commitment to working on hard things, thinking long term, learning, and prioritizing relationships will help the team get to where it wants to be eventually. It’s a great place for me to learn technically and find my footing in the professional world.

Cons

The things we complain about are telling about how healthy this organization is - we complain about how our snack ordering system is inefficient, our managers don’t do everything right all the time, sometimes there’s miscommunication, and usually reality doesn’t measure up to the ideal. The company is figuring out how to evolve from a small one into a larger one, so there are growing pains with that.

Atomic Object LLC2016-09-07
  9. "Atomic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time

Pros

Great culture and coworkers that are authentic team players. Leadership with a holistic view of company success outside of the bottom line. Great Benifits

Cons

Working for a smaller company can mean less people to help even out the work load when things get extra busy.

Atomic Object LLC2016-08-15
  10. "Great place to earn and grow"

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC

Pros

Strong, consistent and generous leadership. Professional, intelligent co-workers. Plenty of opportunity to grow as a professional and a clear path toward equity.

Cons

Any of the normal cons to consulting work. Sometimes you have to deal with difficult clients.

Atomic Object LLC2016-08-11

"Great place and great people"

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time

Pros

Hands down the best reason to work at Atomic is the people. Fun, talented, quality friends. The work varies in tech and domain and keeps life interesting.

Cons

It's a consultancy; we're only as good as our last job and our last contact with a client. Stakes are high and at times it can be quite high pressure.

Atomic Object LLC2016-08-10