Atomic Object LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Atomic Object LLC Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2018

4.7
Atomic Object LLC Co-CEOs Shawn Crowley and Mike Marsiglia (no image)
Shawn Crowley and Mike Marsiglia
0 Rating
  1. "A Supportive & Challenging Place to Work"

Designer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC

Pros

Working at Atomic has been a great opportunity for me, and given me so many chances to improve my skill set. Employees and leadership care about their work, and the company, and are thoughtful in their decisions. AO has a solid culture and value set that are evident in the way we run projects, and have fun outside of work too. AO is small enough that you can have a voice if you want to work on changing something, and big enough to support perks such as growth via professional development, time to attend conferences, and great benefits/compensation.

Cons

Like any service consultancy, some projects are more interesting than others. Some projects can be tough and less creative, but you know you will move on to something else eventually.

Atomic Object LLC2016-02-25

"Interning at Atomic is a great oppurtunity"

Intern Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Atomic Object LLC for less than a year

Pros

Lots of exposure to tech, processes and companies.

Cons

Nothing bad comes to mind. Just make sure its the right place for you.

Atomic Object LLC2016-01-17

"Excellent small team software consulting"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, capable people who live up to the company values. (The value statements are too colorful to cite on Glassdoor; my review kept getting denied so I just took them out. Read the values on the Atomic site. They are important and it's important that you believe them if you want to work here.) Most work is done with a project focus so scope is well-defined and most work can be done off-site at an Atomic office. Everyone is paid hourly (with a 40 hour a week floor if someone is on the bench), so unpaid overtime literally is impossible.

Cons

It's software consulting, so work varies greatly depending on the client. Some projects are more like staff augmentation or contracting. Some projects have hard deadlines that require more than 40 hours. Many projects are technologically uninspiring. A few projects have more non-Atomic developers, so the development culture will shift outside the Atomic norm and conflict over development practices, quality and delivery make you wonder why the client hired Atomic.

Atomic Object LLC2015-10-08

"I look forward to going to work in the morning"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work with extremely competent, fun and interesting people. I get to work closely with different customers on lots of different and interesting projects in many different problem domains. I've had good opportunities elsewhere, but chose to stay. And I don't regret it in the slightest. The company is small enough and the leadership listens well enough that I feel I can have a meaningful impact and influence on company direction and policies. I have the freedom and ability to manage and make decisions regarding my projects. I look forward to going to work in the morning,

Cons

The downside of the having the freedom and ability to manage and make decisions regarding your projects is that you are also responsible for them. That doesn't mean you're going to be thrown under a bus, far from it, but it does mean you occasionally have to explain to a customer why their feature is taking significantly longer than you thought it was going to take. This is stressful.

Atomic Object LLC2015-08-31

"Learn From and Evolve a Diverse Skill Set for Software Projects"

Software Developer

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC

Pros

Atomic has: Great coworkers, Lots of opportunities to learn and grow, lots of opportunities to try new things, interesting modern technologies, strong mentorship from within project teams, good transparency into how the business is being run as a whole. At Atomic you get the chance to try out development and project management techniques that have been successful on many projects, and then work on improving them or trying new things as the occasion calls for it.

Cons

Some projects have more pain than others, some policies are better figured out than others. As an employee at Atomic, it is important to develop a vision for figuring out how to innovate with clients that leave only a few areas open for innovation, and how to effectively address challenging situations.

Atomic Object LLC2015-06-30

"Challenge and Be Challenged"

Software Designer & Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC

Pros

• The opportunity to work with focused, passionate, and considerate people • A variety of projects from many different industries offer daily and exciting challenges • A rock solid culture that is truly nurtured from top down • A place where both designers and developers act as champions for the client. Having deep empathy for clients and users is strongly encouraged.

Cons

AO might not be the place for you if you don't enjoy: • A fast-paced, iterative process • Being fiercely collaborative with designers and developers • Knowing how to both lead and follow • Constantly improving and evolving your skill set through extracurricular education and involvement in prof dev groups In short, much is expected from employees, but the culture, compensation, and benefits match expectations.

Atomic Object LLC2015-06-29

"AO's a great place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Consultant and Developer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Atomic Object LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've really enjoyed working at Atomic. I don't know that there is another place in West MI where you have the chance to work with so many different technologies, in so many different problem domains, and play as many roles over the course of a project as you can at Atomic. Atomic's value mantras are very much lived out in the day-to-day decision making and behaviors, and I've really enjoyed the passion and commitment to quality of the folks around me. I find Atomic's leadership to be very introspective, willing to try new experiments, and highly focussed on treating employees fairly and making Atomic a great place to work.

Cons

If being asked to frequently learn new languages, new tools, and new practices sounds like a bad thing, AO might not be for you. And if direct interaction with customers, project management, and tracking a budget seem like things you don't want to be involved in, AO is also probably not a good fit.

Atomic Object LLC2015-05-17

"A Culture of Passive-Aggressiveness, Rumors, Mistrust, and Misunderstanding"

I worked at Atomic Object LLC full-time

Pros

Atomic Object does a great job of making those inside the cult-of-personality feel like they are an elite, unmatched team of software professionals. In many ways they are. AO understands their numbers and their process deeply and manages by them.

Cons

Numbers and process are often venerated at the expense of the people who work there and many times their clients as well. AO's reputation for being cocky and dogmatic has left many clients cold. The culture from the inside is often worse still. Rumors, obscene jokes, sharp criticism, and senior managers who undermine employees to make themselves look better are the norm. Reading the blog at AO is a strange exercise as it often paints a picture of a place diametrically different from what it actually feels like inside. For example they pay lip service to being a female-friendly work place but in reality can be incredibly hostile. They speak of a culture of transparency and trust when opacity and suspicion are much more common. AO is definitely an example of do what we say, not what we do.

Atomic Object LLC2012-08-30