Atria Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Atria Senior Living CEO John A. Moore
John A. Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The residents are great and the staff is too (in 13 reviews)

• Also free meals after every shift (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours or no hours/not worth the pay (in 23 reviews)

1. "GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

I have been working at Atria Senior Living part-time

Pros

Amazing staff and residents.
    Plus great benefits

Cons

Weird hours/shifts to work.
    Upper management doesn't care a lot about the lower staff.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "RSD / RN (over 3 years)"

Current Employee - RSD/RN
    Current Employee - RSD/RN

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff longevity at the building I work at. Most of my staff (CNA's CMT's) have been with Atria for over five years. They are dependable, and sincerely care for our Residents. Free meals to all employees, education reimbursement ($5,000 a year). Atria provides a Quality Enhancement team to arrive, unannounced to building to insure the building is following Atria policy and State regulations. This is important as gets me (RSD/RN) ready for state surveyor. Atria policy are generally stricter than state regulations.

Cons

RSD is on call 24/7. There is no relief, I get calls at all hours of the day and night, the calls have been better as of late. Cut throat upper management (corporate), especially if your census is not where "Atria" thinks you should be. Everybody's job is on the line once your census starts to plummet.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to always remember who your ears and eyes on your residents. That is CNA's and CMT's. Treat them with respect, I have been trying to get my Executive Director to do something special for them once in a while (donuts, cookies, popcorn, etc) These simple little things go a long way.

3. "Resident Medical Technician"

Current Employee - Resident Medical Technician in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Resident Medical Technician in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All Atria locations are beautiful and clean, it makes you feel as though you are at home. Another perk is that all of your meals are covered by the chefs, so you don't have to pay or bring in food.

Cons

At my location I have been very frustrated with some of the directors, and since we are a new building it seems that we are taking residents above our level of care just to fill in the space.

Advice to Management

I wish that management would be more careful when selecting to hire, and also accept residents into our care. All of the workers truly care about the people, but they are not all meant to be in the care industry.

4. "Don't Get Too Big Too Quick!"

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atria is ever expanding and innovating - and it has been rewarding to work for the leading provider of care and housing for older adults. It was great to see new communities coming online on almost a monthly basis. There are many great things to come for Atria - as long as the company is able learn from the failures of the competition, who have grown too big - too quick.

Cons

The company is expanding rapidly but regional and support center support are not keeping up; company does not appear to be adding staff - but instead they are adding business units to already pressured regional support and leadership staff. You can see this in the increased time it takes to get a response from support staff on urgent legal, HR, operations matters. Issues within individual locations are never truly resolved because response times cause individual cases to overlap. These cases then grow into major headaches, because we are unable to take timely corrective action.

Advice to Management

-Ramp up your existing "promote from within" attitude, promote existing local employees to support regional staff who are overwhelmed with Atria's continued growth. There are countless local employees who have dedicated decades of their professional life to this company. For these employees, it is more than a paying job: Atria has instilled a desire to change the lives of older adults. Exemplify to local, front line staff, that there is opportunity for them to grow, that they have an opportunity to represent their colleagues at a higher level, show that their growth is valued, and that they have an opportunity to contribute to the successes of the company. This is THE time in the company's history to prepare for a prosperous future.

-Practice What You Preach: Atria's mission, handbook, code of conduct, and policies put in place a high- quality set of guidelines. These guidelines and ideas thoroughly and fairly represent both the company and its employees. It is presented to employees in a manner that makes them feel proud to have become part of the Atria Family. After the fact, the inherent issue is inconsistent enforcement. Atria hires intelligent employees - from front line to management - and these employees are very observant.

"Resident Services Director"

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth. Great team to be a part of. Ability to gain experience in all departments.

Cons

No work/life balance. Hard to maintain workload with only 5 day work week.

"Beyond thrilled with my decision to join Atria Grapevine!"

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time

Pros

Atria has the residents best interest at the heart of all they do. There are very explicit guidelines for quality assurance that are practiced daily. This guidelines are in place to assure the residents and families that we will do our complete best to give quality service and care for them. Our guidelines are in place to make sure that we go above and beyond the status quo in this industry.

Cons

The only downside of working with any senior population is the death of a resident. It is fulfilling knowing that we gave them and their families a great last chapter in their lives.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the great support structure in this company.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Med Tech/Caregiver in Paradise, CA
    Former Employee - Med Tech/Caregiver in Paradise, CA

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason I showed up to this job everyday was my residents! You build great friendships with them and they learn from you as well as you learn from them

Cons

No one gets paid enough for the crap you have to do....especially being a med tech....doing a nurses job just about for min wage....Upper management could care less about lower staff...this company is all about making $$ but not to make it better for the residents or paying the staff what they deserve

Advice to Management

No comment they're all gone now....

"Waitstaff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I worked at Atria Senior Living part-time

Pros

I grew attached to a couple of residents, who are definitely dead now.

Cons

This was an exploitative environment: I worked seven days a week and still made part-time pay, with no benefits. There were no protocols for when I was attacked by someone with dementia. There was favoritism and gossiping. There was no room to move up in the company. There was no allowance for a second job or school for me.

Advice to Management

Longer hours with less days in the week would be better to do for your staff. Quit playing favorites and hold everyone accountable. Protect your employees from violent residents. Give your employees the chance to move up in the company or else give them time during the week to do other things!

9. "Don't work for Atria"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Lady Lake, FL
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Lady Lake, FL

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents are friendly. Wait staff very good.

Cons

Management not good. Workers coming on late constantly, always on cell phones. Employees who follow rules, and do their jobs are the ones being fired.

Advice to Management

Get new ED, and other managers.

10. "Resident service assistant"

Current Employee - Resident Service Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Resident Service Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide meals for staff

Cons

The staff are a team. Horrible management. Needs new Executive director.

Advice to Management

Get better managers