Atria's Restaurant and Tavern Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Pat McDonnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "My Pleasure"

Pros

Very busy , fast paced atmosphere, unique food choices

Cons

Not all but some locations maybe difficult to reach on the bus line.

Advice to Management

Being supportive of staff front and back of the house is a strong asset here. Thanks for always making sure employees feel relevant.

2. "I'll save you your time - Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Lebanon, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern part-time

Pros

The workers are all around nice and friendly people, fun to work with. Good people, and I'm sorry to those who have to work there to make a living.

Cons

The managers are downright mean. They act like this restaurant is the best in the world and like it's life or death service every day. The CEO is worse. The customers are all uptight snobs who aren't happy no matter what. They can't just come in, order, eat, and leave. They will complain until they get their meal for free. They are rude and act like you're their personal servant.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like they're human beings, not like robots who are there only to serve.

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance is great because they can't hold on to any decent employees.

Cons

Life work balance is horrific. The top of the food chain doesn't care at all about his employees or the positions he puts them in. It is a thankless job where you get blamed for everything, even when it's out of your control. There are a lot of great people in the company, but it's a terrible company to work for.

4. "Worst company I have ever worked for!!!!!"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Networking, resume building. The staff became my second family. The hourly employees were amazing and I miss them. There were moments of fun.

Cons

The entire cooperate structure is terrible. The micromanagement was unbearable. They expect you to live at the restaurant, neglect your family and friends, and put your career on hold for them. There were weeks I was pushing 80 hours on salary (getting paid for 40) and they still expected more. Last minute changes to schedules and entire events. The list goes on!!!!! They preach "value of the person" and "theory R" (a theory based around respect), their company is void of both. Pure hypocrites!!!!

Advice to Management

Just because someone is on salary does not give you the right to overwork them to the extent you do. The only other advice I could give would be to take an ethics course and start going to church. There is nothing moral about this company or their practices.

5. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Murrysville, PA
    Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Murrysville, PA

I have been working at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern (Less than a year)

Pros

great food, easy to learn tables, great servers

Cons

slippery floors, hostess must wear heels

6. "Very high turn over"

Pros

Great location, great tips, fun staff

Cons

Seasonal, can be tough to break into good sections, ect., very poor staff (sometimes)

Advice to Management

Be MUCH more selective when hiring

7. "Good company to learn with but a bit disorganized for a "small-chain" restaurant."

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, fast paced work environment, professional atmosphere at company meetings. Fair wages for the position, free meals, typically fun atmosphere. What made the job great was regular guests you could look forward to pleasing week in and out.

Cons

Work-Life balance is terrible, abandon all hope of having a family, social life, or ever having a holiday off as you will spend your life within the four walls. Limited view on marketing (only within 4-walls was a phrase used often) although I hear/see that is changing. Lack of any sort of half decent training to be a manager. You are basically handed two books, told to read them, then thrown into one of the stores to try and figure things out. If you're lucky someone who knows it will teach you the computer system, but in most cases you are on your own.

Advice to Management

Training. you put so much emphasis on training your FOH staff but there is no structure to training in the "Heart of the House" nor is there any real training for your management staff. Every manager should be given at least a week's worth of training on the ins and outs of the Point of Sale system. You should also eliminate the "Managing Partner" / "Proprietor" position entirely and staff with salaried General Managers who are accountable but not investors. It would eliminate the sense of entitlement that goes with the title, and in most cases the poor performance that comes along with it.

8. "Spiraled downhill during time there"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

Pros

The co-workers at the restaurant were some of the best you could find, got along with them very well, some of which became good friends with to this day. The training program, when I started, was excellent. Helped me to fully understand the food and product being sold.

Cons

Upper management was extremely unstable in both the front and back of house (my restaurant went through something like six or seven GM's in three years, 10-15 upper-level chefs as well) and most FOH managers varied from lazy to incompetent to egomaniacal to all of the above. The words accountability, communication and adaptability became foreign concepts at its worst moments, especially when it came to progressive discipline. Led to a lot of unnecessary stress and frustration, and it became more of a job where I said "I'm sorry" to dining guests more often than not.

It also felt like corporate brass had no idea what they were doing at times and would make a change in the menu or promotions just to backtrack on it shortly thereafter (such as overhauling the summer menu in the middle of the summer menu promotion or getting rid of or changing several menu items, sometimes repeatedly, only to bring them back after enough customers complained about it). It seems like they are more interested in treading water and not trying to adapt to industry trends (who eats pot roast in the summertime?). It's sad since this chain has gone from one of the best places for food in the Pittsburgh area to a glorified Applebee's with little to nothing separating it from the rest of the chain restaurants out there.

Training became more and more of a joke the later I got into my tenure, with servers sometimes being put on the dining room floor not knowing the difference between chardonnay and cabernet or a martini and a manhattan. It might have just been the restaurant I worked at and the lack of attention brought to it by upper management, but it became embarrassing to hear about. It also became ironic because the company has a "VOP" perspective which places value and offers respect to the employee and customer alike, but more often than not upper management (and even the corporate brass) would sometimes treat servers, cooks and other "front-line" workers like subhuman scum.

The condition of the tables, chairs, equipment and foundation became, and still is, a serious issue for the store I was at. More often than not, guests would complain about tables being way too sticky or warped, chairs being broken or wobbly, a roof that leaked and became loose in spots and heating and cooling systems that either were really inconsistent or didn't work at all. More often than not, corporate would do nothing to fix these situations.

Advice to Management

Have some idea what you actually want to be. There's many reasons why the reputation of your restaurants has fallen considerably and most of it is because you want to get away by cutting corners and trying to nickel and dime the guest. Stop focusing on cost reduction and focus more on putting a good product out in your dining rooms.

9. "To much turnover in operating managment, too often partners would contradict each other about the flow of the business."

Pros

I was given the opportunity to come up through the ranks and really develop myself and my career thanks to Pat and the former operating group. They really helped me belive that the sky was the limit of the success that I could have within the company.

Cons

When I started with this group there was a set group of core values that everyone adhered to, which really separated the company from the other "upscale casual restaurants" Towards the end of my 10 year tenure I felt as though we had completely lost that edge and in fact we were below the other upscale casual concepts. In addition the core value that employees are more important than food, had become more propaghanda rather than a core competency for the company. I feel that I was treated in such a way that I had no choice but to give up on all the ideals that I had learned prior to the continuation of turnovers with COO.

Advice to Management

They need to stop letting anybody and everybody who is willing to invest money take control over how the concept is run. Get back to the fundamentals that originally made Atrias great. Just cause someone can run a sonic does not mean they can run Atrias efficiently.

10. "Great people to work with, but management has unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Server Assistant in Mount Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in Mount Lebanon, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great and fun to work alongside

Cons

Management nit picks at everything you do, low pay for the work put in

Advice to Management

Trust employees more