Atwood Oceanics Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert J. (Rob) Saltiel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "DPO"

I have been working at Atwood Oceanics full-time

Pros

Company is struggling as all oil and gas outfits are. However, they are trying to keep employees on payroll as best they can.

Cons

The cycle of the industry and the fog of future work makes planning tough. Upper management as with most companies assigns employees number and has no face to face.

Advice to Management

Before swinging the ax look at the recovery and position yourself for the future. $1 spent today may save you $100 tomorrow.

2. "Atwood"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Atwood Oceanics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a smaller company which can give you greater responsibilities if you want it and if conditions allow. You are compensated well enough.

Cons

This company is a part of a cyclical industry which warrants layoffs in difficult times. Difficult times become political. Professional development is lacking compared to other industries/ companies.

Advice to Management

Talent management is very important during difficult market conditions. Try to take a step outside of hearsay and your current perspective of the talent under review. Before moving forward with separation, go back to peer reviews and make decisions based upon performance, not rumors, frustration or misinformation.

"Mistakes in Co. Vision"

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Atwood Oceanics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Total compensation was worth the position. Enjoyed my peers, gained lots of knowledge and company reimbursed me for many online training.

Cons

I've seen employees let go for making minor mistakes, I've seen millions of dollars spent that was not required. CEO pushes down accountability without providing the tools required to be accountable. CEO so worried about image that it blinds any compassion that may be inside of him, when things are going smooth you don't hear much from him but just as soon as something goes South, immediately he wants to fire someone. Internal departments do not communicate and mistakes are common across the gamit. I'm not mad anymore, just telling the truth.

Advice to Management

Rob,
    CEO 101 teaches that technical people can find work in any industry out there and chances are, you'll never get them back. During all of the years of record breaking profits why did you not take some of this revenue and invest into accounts so you could hang onto the people who make you successful? You could have saved everyone but chose to worry about self image with public investors. Good luck in the future because you'll need it when the industry turns upward again.

"Blame culture"

I worked at Atwood Oceanics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, lots of autonomy, treat people well unless they make mistakes.

Cons

I saw many people fired for single mistakes, their own, but also mistakes by their boss. Atwood has a blame based culture. As a result, there is a LOT of inaction, hiding problems, and lying to the boss. People working hard at complex jobs will make mistakes. At Atwood, the first question was "Who dunnit?" rather than "is everyone OK and what can we learn to tell the other rigs?". People were run off for ONE mistake, ignoring the fact they won't make that mistake again, and never questioning why others in the same position were not making mistakes - I've managed people and I expect everyone to make a mistake every day, and use it to improve. Atwood failed to focus on is how well people do their job EVERY DAY, provide constant feedback and development, and ONLY run them off if they are not performing and can't be corrected. Selecting scapegoats dooms you to repeat the same mistakes.

Advice to Management

Dump the blame based culture and focus on performance.

5. "Recruiter"

Former Contractor - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Atwood Oceanics as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Atmosphere - Warm feeling

Cons

when you are a contractor you are treated as such. The hiring managers are awful and need to be trained.

Advice to Management

If you are trying to draw people to the company make them feel apart of the company not excluding them.

6. "Atwood Oceanics is a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Materials in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Materials in Houston, TX

Pros

Atwood is probably one of the better offshore drilling companies to work for. The pay and benefits are better than average and with a small fleet it is easy to stay on one rig for long term. I would recommend them over many others.

Cons

The main downside that I noticed was management on my rig to allow a certain person to have more authority than his job title allowed for.

This drilling company in many respects is just like any others in how they treat their people. Certain people are treated better than others and can at times have to do with job title.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should preach and enforce the rules that are in print.

"Electronics Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Douala (Cameroon)
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Douala (Cameroon)

I have been working at Atwood Oceanics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work schedule is good. Pay is good as well. Benefits could be better. The equipment is good and new. Rig is in good shape.

Cons

Industry is in a slump. Layoffs are around the corner. Pay cuts have started already. It will probably be another year and a half before the industry picks back up again. Foreign tax credits should be paid at least a portion of it.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they matter. Don't be so business minded that you forget to take care of the people that make the company successful. Give international people better incentives to work overseas.

8. "Great money while working overseas but thoroughly unsupported once there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malabo, Bioko Norte (Equatorial Guinea)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malabo, Bioko Norte (Equatorial Guinea)

I worked at Atwood Oceanics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Higher than average compensation.
    High visibility to upper levels of management.
    Diversification of Responsibilities.

Cons

There is Insufficient personnel support in locations where the workforce is generally unskilled.
    Management is quick to demand accountability for not reaching performance goals while also acknowledging that a team is insufficiently staffed.
    "Who you know" is more important than an "objective performance evaluation" from initial compensation to lateral and upwardly mobile opportunities.