Auction.com Reviews in Belmont, CA | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Auction.com CEO Tim Morse
Tim Morse

Pros
  • Great work-life balance & wellness programs, plus a gym on-site (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and management willing to adapt to grow (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management continues to turn over (in 6 reviews)

• upper management can be disconnected (in 6 reviews)

"Decent Overall"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belmont, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time

Pros

Free food 3 days/week. Great benefits. Nice trail and basketball court in the back. Nice people.

Cons

Wish the stock options would be worth more.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

2. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

Pros

great culture, hard working and smart people

Cons

things are always changing here

3. "Real Estate Meets Tech"

Current Contractor - Corporate Communications Specialist in Belmont, CA
    Current Contractor - Corporate Communications Specialist in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a company on the rise. Plenty of diversity among employees with regard to age, gender and background, which is refreshing -- not a "tech bro" kind of place. Friendly & relaxed environment. Great work-life balance & wellness programs, plus a gym on-site. Catered lunches three days a week and bottomless refreshments.

Cons

As with every company this size there can be plenty of politics and turnover -- and this one has a checkered past -- but at least there seems to be awareness among higher-ups and a drive to adopt more of a startup mentality. Commute can be tricky depending on where you're coming from.

Advice to Management

It's all about who you hire! Keep investing in Talent Acquisition.

"Upward Trending People/Customer Centric Culture"

Current Employee - Marketing in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing culture is on an upward trend. The right leadership, the right product, the right time.

New leadership is customer & people centric and is adamant about testing new products and ideas with both internal and external customers.There are still some growing pains to be had, but the expansion into the second floor of the building has given everyone a little bit more elbow room. Great stretch assignments to grow and challenge yourself - big enough to get the Corp benefits and small enough to still be able to have immediate impact on products and business processes.

Pay is competitive and management is investing in employee growth tools and resources

If you like pioneering and enjoy disrupting the status quo, this may be the place for you. Change Averse need not apply -

Cons

The company is fundamentally changing, and for some this is uncomfortable. There are still folks who grumble and whine about 'how things used to be" but efforts to refocus on the excitement of "how things are going to be in the future" is changing this. Looking forward to the day when everyone is on the same page - coming soon!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and worry more about the overall trends than the occasional nasty reviews by outliers. Keep up the transparency you have brought to our all-hands meetings, and remain approachable by every employee. Test your ideas with us, we will give you feedback and help you make the right decision. Lastly, let us know you will take care of us, and we will take care of you.

6. "our Engineers rock!!"

Current Contractor - Senior Engineering Recruiter in Belmont, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Engineering Recruiter in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in a friendly environment and it looks like people are happy to be here. There are a lot of exciting new things taking place, and I look forward to what the new year will bring!!

Cons

I wish the office was closer to my house...

"A company transforming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com (More than a year)

Pros

Very approachable leadership team, entrepreneurial spirit, executive team and new CEO really care about the employee base.

Cons

Very dynamic, requires ability to quickly adjust to changing priorities; cultural integration across the businesses and geographic offices is a work in progress

Advice to Management

Continue down the path started; become more willing to bet on "startup ideas" inside the company

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, Projects, Growth, Opportunities, Fun, Culture, Knowledge, Real Estate, Experience, Silicon Valley

Cons

Can be a bit of an issue always working in California with great weather all the time.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring talented people, and push them to continue driving innovation, growth, learning, and the sharing of ideas freely and openly.

"Company on the upswing! Better leaders, better culture, better comp"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Auction.com has a lot going for it after escaping a very disorganized past. The company's new CEO and other new leaders are clear about how to serve customers better so that we STAY the top real estate transaction service.

In the Belmont office we have a great bunch of engineers and some nice perks like lunch and games. Engineers definitely hang out with each other and play with drones and hack stuff, which I like.

If you think real estate, like all other transactions, will have a growing presence online, then you probably want to be at this company.

There is a huge focus on making our culture more fun and serving our diverse workplace better.

Cons

Some of the old guard leadership is still focused on building their own empire inside the company.

Product development is generally slow due to lack of engineering resources and said empire builders who have not delegated enough authority to their lieutenants to make real changes, only little tweaks.

Advice to Management

The engineering teams can do more, but you need to put the right leaders in place who will actually let us put out cool stuff onto the site.

"Exciting & Evolving Company with Fun, Fresh, and Passionate Culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Fresh, fun atmosphere where you can interact with multiple departments day to day
    • Passion to promote positive company culture and inspire people
    • Room for growth and individual development/ new management shows interest in employee goals
    • Opportunities to wear different hats within the company/ no day is the exactly the same
    • Culture promotes work life balance
    • Good perks & benefits

Cons

• Evolving company calls for some growing pains. Must be able to handle change and growth.
    • Commute can be tedious, but company has some solid commute benefits in the works.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to/acknowledging your employees. Many innovative minds working at Auction.com with effective ideas and creative solutions that are ramping up the company culture and product.

"Disciplined with or without cause - not able to find the job any more"

Former Employee - Marketing Analytics Manager in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analytics Manager in Belmont, CA

I worked at Auction.com (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting dynamic company, some people are extremely hardworking (some data scientists), as startup the company is not rigid, executives are approachable (most of them you don't see in the offices though - Belmont), lunches offered very often, flexible work schedule, contractors are treated as regular employees, people are rather mellow

Cons

i had to sign contract and had to agree to be 'disciplined with or without cause', but as it was contract (filled in for the person on maternity) thought I will survive. I did and did everything properly but can't find another job anymore. By the way I was forced to sign the contract not to sue the company. I think this is important - I hope that I am the only one who did experience this. I would give them four stars, but based on my hopefully individual experience it came to barely two - who cares anyway.

Advice to Management

more team work and shared information.