Auction.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Auction.com CEO Tim Morse
Tim Morse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance & wellness programs, plus a gym on-site (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and management willing to adapt to grow (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • boys club with this layer of management so there is no room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• My current management team actually understands marketing and what I do so that is good (in 3 reviews)

1. "If you want Fridays only and not advancedment"

Former Employee - Auction Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Auction Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Auction.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay compensation
    Auction day advancement
    Potential to travel around your state (only if your state has weekly auctions)

Cons

No corporate advancement
    Working outside in all seasons in all weather conditions
    No benefits
    Multiple restructure changes during my employment and not good communication

Advice to Management

Needs better communication to remote staff. Sometimes it feels like we are forgotten because we are not at Irvine.

"Could not afford to work there..."

Former Employee - Auction Coordinator/Trustee Auction Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Auction Coordinator/Trustee Auction Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Auction.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people with excellent benefits IF you can afford to pay a company to work for them. From beginning to end I applaud Ten-X / Auction.com for their willingness to support, train and welcome me. I also LOVED the endless amount of my interaction between the courthouse personnel, customers (investors/homeowners etc) and seemingly endless amount of people approaching
     me for my company information. I LOVE working and LOVE people so in many aspects, it felt like a win/win situation. It absolutely killed me to have to leave. If I'm hired to do something, I expect to get the pay promised... not chase after it only to see that it's substantially less than half!

Cons

I was hired as an Auction Coordinator / Trustee Auction Manager. It is a part time position, that when I was assigned an Auction, I was guaranteed a good wage for a min. of 4 hours (they say even if I worked 3). The problem was the unpaid portion driving my pay to substantially below less than half. More often than not I would accumulate 1-2+ hours of drive time to/from an auction. My gas bill was through the roof! So with zero mileage reimbursement, wear tear on my car or car depreciation consideration, state tax, my fairly "great pay, part time job" was actually full time hours at pretty darn close, if not right at or below, minimum wage. Note: they justify this by stating at times you don't work a full 4 hours so it 'works itself out' however I never found myself working anything less than 4 hours. Reality is you drive 2-3 hours UNPAID, spend 20-30 minutes walking to/from parking lots and waiting to go through courthouse security UNPAID, work 4 hours paid, drive to fed-ex then go home and spend another hour prepping files/printing docs for the next day. In closing: My time became more valuable than minimum wage and below when I was 16! I will say that if I wanted to pay a company to work for them, Ten-X / Auction.com would absolutely be the one!

Advice to Management

You have an EXCELLENT group of employees in North Carolina (many of which are the first if not only face to face or other point of consumer contact) who work incredibly hard and who are dedicated to the success of your company - pay them a fair wage!! Even and especially the ones on salary! It is incredibly disturbing to see them working endless hours due to what I would consider the inability to keep my position staffed due to pay issues. Your company preaches a work/home life balance but all I see for these employees is low pay working around the clock and ZERO time for their families. That's by far not ok... it's incredibly sick to see what they sacrifice for you.

"Decent Overall"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belmont, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time

Pros

Free food 3 days/week. Great benefits. Nice trail and basketball court in the back. Nice people.

Cons

Wish the stock options would be worth more.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

"Could be a lot better"

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Checks clear, decent options for HMO and PPO offer physical activity such as work out compensation. Located near big shopping district.

Cons

Poor management, wasted time and money on inefficient processes, hire uneducated management, do not value education. Minimal to no growth, don't expect to be paid or recognized for result, mediocrity is praised. Poor pay and no control over bonus. No motivation. If you want to make anything of yourself don't work here.

Advice to Management

Learn how to motivate your employees, value actual results. Stop being so cheap when you brag about how much money we make you.

5. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

Pros

great culture, hard working and smart people

Cons

things are always changing here

"Good Reviews ALWAYS follow the bad ones"

Former Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time

Pros

There are some great and talented people still left. Perks of lunches, giveaways and promotional items. This company is great at marketing and getting the public and employees to believe what they want it to.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the good ratings that somehow "miraculously" trail the negative ones. This is by design, where there is smoke there is fire. This company is good at smoke and mirrors. If you are unemployed and desperate entertain this place until you can do better. If you are highly sought after and recruited, think twice and do not believe all of the things they will promise you. They are experts at sniping top talent and infamous for using them until they are washed up and broken.

Advice to Management

There are still several wolves in sheep clothing here. Find them and get rid of them. Previous powers that be; you have hired all of the fancy names and titles to make your company look better. At the end of the day they get here see the culture and don't respect you or the people that helped you get where you are. Dig deep and figure out why there is NO job security. 70% of your workforce has been here less than 5 years. I guarantee those that have, have not been in the same position or department and they have seen NUMEROUS layoffs and ridiculous turnover. All of your talent has left or is leaving if not in reality at least in their minds which directly effects your end result.

7. "senior staff engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only company in real estate

Cons

Needs to establish businees in C2C

"Clueless"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is above average

Cons

Management has an identity crisis. The men that started the company are smart. This says nothing for their ethics. The company is always in transition, management spends more time and effort protecting their jobs than doing their jobs. Bringing Google on board was a feather in their caps.
    Unfortunately many of the management team have no management training. This leads to a company attempting to emulate a successful partner and missing the mark by a mile. Promoting or hiring a person into a position and not ensuring they are trained and have the necessary tools will never work.

Advice to Management

Train managers on, Team building, Conflict resolution, State and federal laws, Training and Communication.

"Getting better all the time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and employee perks. Technology is getting better. Every year I've been here the perks have gotten better and it seems like management is trying to more actively retain employees, create an organized work environment, and embrace a Google-like startup culture. Love the gym reimbursement! Very fair compensation compared to the market. We also now have a quarterly recognition rewards system in place. If you are recognized you get points towards groupon/egiftcards/other pretty awesome rewards.

Cons

Parking is an issue in Irvine. Things were hectic when I started but I'be seen many improvements over the last year .

Advice to Management

Keep heading the direction you're in! There has really been a positive difference!

"Company on the upswing for sure!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Auction.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an innovative company that is trying to change the way real estate is bought and sold. Whenever you innovate you will invariably run against traditionalists and "the way things were" crowd. This company is rapidly maturing and growing up. They are moving in the right direction.

Cons

Still some leaders in positions they shouldn't be in. Some of it is legacy though. They are bringing in real people leaders and this is getting much better.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, stay connected with the rank and file, listen to your people!