Auction.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Auction.com Chief Executive Officer Jason Allnutt
Jason Allnutt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Company with Great people and great health benefits" (in 12 reviews)

• "quality co-workers, good benefits" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is the ol’ boys club with this layer of management so there is no room for growth" (in 5 reviews)

• "temp employee, breaks were short, no room for growth, couldnt be hired as a full time employee" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Auction.com full-time

Pros

great pay and bomb benefits

Cons

no real cons at the moment

Advice to Management

none

Mar 18, 2019 – HR Business Leader

Thank you for your 5-star review! We're thrilled your experience has been positive.

"Leading the way"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is moving in the right direction in every aspect even though that may be hard to see for some at times. The leadership is moving faster than most can keep up with and even faster than they can communicate at times but they're doing their best to share the vision. On this path, all involved will benefit from this in one way or another, it takes a special group to do what they've done and an even more driven group to press forward.

Cons

You have to know why you joined the journey, if you lose sight or perspective, it could get frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the ceiling up while continuing to recognize the grass roots, even if they don't always seem to share the mindset. This company wasn't built on the few negative folks but with the hundreds of driven and dedicated Team Members who have pushed the company to this point.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Auction Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Auction Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Auction.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Opportunity to travel
    Great pay
    Friendly management

Cons

No opportunities for full time

Mar 31, 2019 – HR Business Leader

Thank you for your review! Meeting our employee’s needs is a priority and we pride ourselves on being “Beyond Exceptional,” one of our core values. We are happy to see that your experience supports... More

"Not Sure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company with Great people and great health benefits

Cons

I am very conflicted on writing this review. I loved what Auction.com was before the acquisition and believe it could be great again.
    1. I felt that the leaders walked the talk
    2. HR listened to us and that we had a voice
    3. The employees were cared for and engaged.

However, since the acquisition in late 2017, the company is very different, and not in a great way. Although I respect Jason as a leader, maybe there are a few things he is unaware of:
    1. There is not as much autonomy as there used to be. Senior leadership need to trust your leaders, not just the ones that report directly to the CEO. We were successful before the acquisition and all of the new chiefs.
    2. HR is very different. Many people feel like the new folks are not approachable and do not engage with the people of ADC. There is a lot of chatter on why we replaced a long time representative, one who was not connected to the people (unless you're a leader), with someone with the same bad attitude, some feel, worse. It is not good and many of us feel it.
    3. I feel like there is a small effort to engage the people of Auction.com, but a lot of it is just fluff. Why don’t you ask the employees what they want and need to help them feel engaged? Morale is low. This is very hard for the many of us who were here prior to the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Trust your leaders. Get a real pulse on what the people want and need. Stop creating everything you think we want in a silo.

Mar 25, 2019 – HR Business Leader

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Once the acquisition took place, our company naturally changed. Under new leadership, new priorities took shape. With change comes new... More

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Corporate Operations in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Operations in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall moving in the right direction. We are getting more visibility to our longer term plans and it really helps get us and our teams excited about what we are looking forward to doing in the future. The leadership is far more approachable now than in the past. I really like the renewed focus we have on involving the next level on key decisions and the resurrection of our "test and learn" - feels right given all of the initiatives in front of us this year.

The people are always a pro - I get to work with some very motivated colleagues on a day to day basis and there is a sense of community and moving in the same direction for a larger goal vs. just task by task.

Cons

Certain leaders need to recognize the work done until now was a contribution to our new direction. Not just throw away work. This will create a great sense of togetherness throughout the company. It seems that newly hired people do not have an appreciation for all of the ground work laid to get us here. There's a lot we are doing to take in all of the new changes to our systems and we are also hungry to gain new skills - so it would also be great to hear the encouragement that not all of what we did was forgotten.

Not enough interaction with key leaders in other functions. It would be really good to learn from other functions what is and isn't working and how we might be able to add value.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. It's refreshing to see a new mood up top is changing a bit, still have a way to go but moving in the right direction. We need more engagement from you vs. just all-hands and emails.

It's ok to not have the right answer to everything as long as you continue to be transparent. Keep the teams engaged in moving forward and please recognize the work the teams have done personally. I was provided with many career opportunities with Auction.com and have and over six different jobs in the last ten years, there is a lot we can share if we have the opportunity to give our thoughts.

Please continue to engage with the teams at my level, not everything new to learn has to be learned from the outside. There's some great knowledge internally that is untapped and we are more than willing to contribute to the future.

Mar 31, 2019 – HR Business Leader

Thank you for your thoughtful review! We are pleased to hear that you find leadership approachable and transparent, and that you are enjoying the organization’s entrepreneurial “test and learn... More

6. "Progressive, forward-thinking, but don't walk the talk"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and company culture

Cons

Not much opportunity for career growth; only the top reap the benefits. Industry is always up and down so go through growth spurts and periods of layoffs.

Mar 18, 2019 – Senior Manager, People Operations & Talent Acquisition Partner

We pride ourselves on being authentic, one of our values, and appreciate your honest review. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our culture and strong benefit offerings, and value your... More

7. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Food, flexibility, decent pay, nice co workers, no micomanging

Cons

temp employee, breaks were short, no room for growth, couldnt be hired as a full time employee.

Mar 18, 2019 – HR Business Leader

Thanks for taking time to submit a review. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your experience at Auction.com! We will be sure to discuss your feedback with our leadership team and managers.

8. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com (Less than a year)

Pros

I love that they are very flexible and the culture is great!

Cons

The free snacks should be rotated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Mar 18, 2019 – HR Business Leader

Thank you for your review! Meeting our employee’s needs is a priority. We are happy to see that your experience has been positive!

"UNIONIZATION NECESSARY FOR AUCTION MANAGERS"

I have been working at Auction.com full-time

Pros

Auction Managers are hard working dedicated employees, who more than deserve am hourly raise.

Cons

Auctions Managers have been systematically devalued and ignored by this company. The fact is Auction Managers have NEVER received an hourly wage increase, merit increase, bonus or access to Health Care. New management said Auction Managers have no negotiation power because they work part-time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Auction Managers have all the power! Think about it this way. If all Auction managers called in sick on Super Tuesdays, this company would quickly crumble and go out of business.
    Since Auction.com has refused to do right by its employees, Auction Managers should consider joining a UNION. Powerful UNIONS can force bad employers to the negotiation table and fight for your rights.

Advice to Management

The CEO (prior General Manager) has never shown any level of respect for the Auction Managers. During his tenure, Auction Managers have NEVER been given a pay raise. Yet all the while, he and the inner circle have been promoting themselves and laughing all the way to the bank.

Mar 20, 2019 – SVP Live Auctions & Special Events

Thank you for your review. We work diligently to ensure we’re creating a positive experience for all employees. We care deeply about rewarding excellent performance and empowering our people. With... More

"It’s not for everyone..."

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Auction.com full-time

Pros

There are a lot of very talented people working in he tech department. Many are very dedicated and willing to go out of their way to help each other out. Catered lunch is provided 2 times a week from a variety of local places. They also offer flexibility to work from home.

Cons

The number one problem here is the leadership. Not to say there aren’t any good leaders at this company - there are a few - but the majority are unreasonable and lead by emotion. Fire drills can be a daily occurrence depending on how senior leadership is feeling. Data and facts are often cast aside in favor of intuition. Business leaders are not held accountable, the org structure is very complex, political, and difficult to navigate. When product releases draw near, work life balance goes out the window and people are expected to work tirelessly and cast aside personal commitments. They claim to be a scrum organization but the business leaders don’t trust the tech org enough to really allow that then claim the process doesn’t work, though they are regularly the ones responsible for derailing it. Real advancement opportunities are almost non-existent. Pay raises are small, and the bonus program is structured so 55% is tied to Q4 performance - historically the company’s worst quarter each year due to market trends. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Some people thrive here, but its either because they are just like the crazy-making people who run the show, or they are able to put aside notions of making things better and just accept the chaos. Consider carefully and ask lots of specific questions before joining this company.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to truly understand agile software development and then let the team execute on the process. Nobody is trying to exclude you - there just needs to be an agreed upon order to things or the org just spins its wheels and never realizes the full potential of what the team could deliver if they were given more trust. Strive to simplify communications throughout the company. Create real career paths within every department or you’ll continue to lose talented people to other companies.