Auction.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Auction.com Reviews

Auction.com CEO Tim Morse
Tim Morse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and team oriented environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay- the company takes care of their employees & organizes fun events for colleagues to mix (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • boys club with this layer of management so there is no room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• I was hired as an Auction Coordinator / Trustee (in 5 reviews)

"Could not afford to work there..."

Former Employee - Auction Coordinator/Trustee Auction Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Auction Coordinator/Trustee Auction Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Auction.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people with excellent benefits IF you can afford to pay a company to work for them. From beginning to end I applaud Ten-X / Auction.com for their willingness to support, train and welcome me. I also LOVED the endless amount of my interaction between the courthouse personnel, customers (investors/homeowners etc) and seemingly endless amount of people approaching
     me for my company information. I LOVE working and LOVE people so in many aspects, it felt like a win/win situation. It absolutely killed me to have to leave. If I'm hired to do something, I expect to get the pay promised... not chase after it only to see that it's substantially less than half!

Cons

I was hired as an Auction Coordinator / Trustee Auction Manager. It is a part time position, that when I was assigned an Auction, I was guaranteed a good wage for a min. of 4 hours (they say even if I worked 3). The problem was the unpaid portion driving my pay to substantially below less than half. More often than not I would accumulate 1-2+ hours of drive time to/from an auction. My gas bill was through the roof! So with zero mileage reimbursement, wear tear on my car or car depreciation consideration, state tax, my fairly "great pay, part time job" was actually full time hours at pretty darn close, if not right at or below, minimum wage. Note: they justify this by stating at times you don't work a full 4 hours so it 'works itself out' however I never found myself working anything less than 4 hours. Reality is you drive 2-3 hours UNPAID, spend 20-30 minutes walking to/from parking lots and waiting to go through courthouse security UNPAID, work 4 hours paid, drive to fed-ex then go home and spend another hour prepping files/printing docs for the next day. In closing: My time became more valuable than minimum wage and below when I was 16! I will say that if I wanted to pay a company to work for them, Ten-X / Auction.com would absolutely be the one!

Advice to Management

You have an EXCELLENT group of employees in North Carolina (many of which are the first if not only face to face or other point of consumer contact) who work incredibly hard and who are dedicated to the success of your company - pay them a fair wage!! Even and especially the ones on salary! It is incredibly disturbing to see them working endless hours due to what I would consider the inability to keep my position staffed due to pay issues. Your company preaches a work/home life balance but all I see for these employees is low pay working around the clock and ZERO time for their families. That's by far not ok... it's incredibly sick to see what they sacrifice for you.

"eh..."

Pros

Great pay, decent hours if your a senior on the team, and great opportunities to travel.

Cons

No room for growth once you reach an Auction Manager.

Advice to Management

Reach out and appreciate your remote employees better instead of isolating them.

3. "senior staff engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only company in real estate

Cons

Needs to establish businees in C2C

4. "Director"

Pros

Growing company with opportunities for growth.

Cons

Some can be very political at times.

5. "Asset Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks, Food Trucks, Flexible hours,Tuition Reimbursement, Gym reimbursement.

Cons

Depending on location you get more/less perks. Lots of departments make is hard to get everyone on one page.

"A company in transition"

I have been working at Auction.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Auction.com time is a dog year- one year equals seven.. okay maybe really 4 or 5 in most companies which can be good or bad depending on your situation. It provides a lot of room for growth due to the high turnover, which may or may not be the companies fault. If you like fast paced, high stress you will excel and can move up or realize you can do better at another company . If your a wall flower you will take yourself out of the game and move on. As a result you see very few people that have been here more than 3 years which is too bad as you don't get the mentorship that you find in many other companies.
    The new CEO seems to have brought about a renewed sense of excitement and has the personality of someone who will listen and take your thoughts and ideas to heart all over a beer. He isn't a corner office on the 90th floor type but then again neither are any of the companies founders.
    Auction has a second to none platform that is constantly evolving and trying to increase both the buyers and sellers satisfaction. It is perfect no but we are always striving to up the bar and challenge ourselves to make it better.
    Every office has its own personality. While being a Orange County based company you will get a different feel in the corporate office versus the Austin office versus the NYC office. In other words it isn't a tech company of clones and I applaud the leaders for seeing that and not trying to turn everyone into a nameless corporate entity.

Cons

The uniqueness of start up technology company is starting to fade away with more and more Senior management being put into place thus we are slowly turning into more of a true corporate structure. New management bring new ideas but also new egos along with it.
    The new Business Development compensation has gone from one of 50% base and 50% commission to a 20% base and 80% commission and has the feeling a bait and switch mentality. Now that ADC has your former clients, contacts, databases and most importantly your experience you brought to the table but now we are cutting your base by 70% but we will let you make more but we are investing in you and taking the risk of your earnings now... Needles to say if your a top performer you have realized that with the base being so low you might as well go back or to true commercial brokerage and make real serious money. The mentality is already switching away from a " I am part of a sales team and that is part of why I get a good livable base" to my base is a joke compared to other seasoned sales professionals and I need to make it up in commission so it is all about me." Who loses in the end? The company and the customer.
    4 years to be fully vested for 401k?
    Grant options are WAY behind the rest of the industry if your trying to attract top tier sales professionals and technology leaders.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on the innovation for the platform as those before you have done. New products and offerings will take ADC to the next level. Start to hire more sales trainers! The new BD compensation program will result in an exodus of top performers and as we need to sell more to make the same amount less time for training and helping out the new hires.

7. "Asset Manager"

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

Company does make a good effort to take care of employees through social events, company parties, outings.

Cons

The Company needs to focus on how Management in trained. Company culture reflects their poor skills when working with employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to interact with their employees. Playing favorites with incentives, intentionally forgetting depts and team performances and blatantly refusing to give recognition to top performers is driving your top performers to other companies.

"Bright Future, Dim Present, Darker Past"

I have been working at Auction.com full-time

Pros

Senior management has been working diligently to revitalize the workplace environment. Auction.com is moving toward a customer-centric and people-centric attitude, which is good... if you're located in California. Regardless, the company has made some great strides over the last few years.

Cons

Satellite offices don't get nearly the amount of perks that headquarters does, which really dampers enthusiasm and office morale. It's somewhat depressing when you receive email invites to work events to celebrate your achievements, but they're being hosted halfway across the country.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your satellite offices. Also, actually follow through on your "pay for performance" mantra. It's not very incentivizing to hear about how well we did last month/quarter/year and see management's table scraps be thrown at me four months into the new fiscal year as a "annual merit increase."

"good co"

Current Employee - Contract Writer in Eatonton, GA
    Current Employee - Contract Writer in Eatonton, GA

I have been working at Auction.com (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay for the job

Cons

not enough hours and sometimes its not worth the loss of gas milage

Advice to Management

more full-time positions in the east/ southeastern regions

"Decent Pay with Lot's Of Stress!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Auction.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits are average. Lot's of company functions and company products or "swag". Nice business community of offices in the area and close to train station.

Cons

Severe nepotism and politics that prevent real upward movement. Lack of understanding of people and new management is more concerned with numbers rather than people. Managers are condescending and talk down to their staff and other department's staff. Culture of back stabbing and side talking.

Advice to Management

Bring back the days of being about the employee and you will see productivity rise as it did in those days. Happy employees will perform for you and exceed target goals.