Audible Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2020

3.7
Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz
Pros
  • "Free lunch, limitless growth and development, employees really feel a sense of community and purpose(in 74 reviews)

• "Well paid, backed by Amazon, great benefits (commuter, free food)(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior Management has no idea how to effectively run an organization or manage employees(in 16 reviews)

• "oncall, holidays, work life balance sometimes(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Twenty Year Old Startup"

Current Employee - Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits of having the company Founder still run the organization means that you feel the passion & energy for the mission EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. While most people still only know Audible for audiobooks, they are inventing new formats of entertainment snacks for the ears every day and before people even know they want them. Listen to some of the theatrical productions they've been releasing -- awesome! Working here is a terrific blend of speed, innovation, family, and caring. We work hard for each other. We work hard for Newark. The balance is also there, if you need it. Being our own planet in the gigantic Amazon ecosystem is fun. We have all the resources we need to do our own thing! Amazing tech is at our fingertips, even better people are one-click away. Benefits on Day One. Catered lunch every day. Unlimited content to listen to. Weekly happy hour (on-site). Clean, open working space. A brand-new state of the art technical working space in a restored church property (Innovation Cathedral) is the keystone of a three building campus in the heart of downtown Newark. A Newark, along with the likes of Detroit and other historic industrial cities, that is on the come-back -- every year is better than the next. Newark even made Amazon's HQ2 top 20 list.

Cons

If you don't like rapid change, dealing with ambiguity, and aren't committed to the Newark revival, look elsewhere. This is a fast-paced organization dedicated to building tech quickly. They are even more dedicated to rebuilding one of America's forgotten cities. You won't have fun here if any of those things make you uncomfortable.

September 26, 2019HR Director

Thank you for your candor and for taking the time to write this great review. We’re so glad to know you’re inspired by our mission and your work! We appreciate your commitment to innovating on behalf of our customers. Thanks for helping make Audible a great place to work!

2. "Great career"

Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Audible full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great teams to work with.

Cons

Nothing bad about Audible at all

June 19, 2020HR Director

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review and share your feedback. It’s great to hear you’ve been enjoying the many benefits that come with working at Audible.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Audible full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got paid and good benefits

Cons

No advancement, treated like lackey

June 19, 2020HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write an alumni review. Our team works hard to help employees map out and achieve fulfilling career journeys, so we’re disappointed to hear you've had a different experience. We believe that communication is critical to creating real, positive change. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Glassdoor.

"Awesome environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, no micromanagement, great perks

Cons

There aren't any I can think of

June 19, 2020HR Director

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review and share your feedback! It’s important to us that we have a welcoming atmosphere for our employees. It’s great to hear you’ve been enjoying the many benefits that come with working at Audible. Thank you for helping make Audible a great place to work!

5. COVID-19

"Great working environment, but communication from leadership is lacking"

4.0

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, casual dress, no micromanagement, work/life balance oriented They simply care about you as an employee and as a person and I’ve loved working here. It’s no more evident than how they have excellently responded to COVID-19 crisis.

Cons

Unclear and undirected initiatives for business growth: Leadership will brainstorm and strategically plan ways to stimulate growth and target key stakeholders to execute. However, there’s way too many closed door meetings and not enough communication downstream to those who are essential to current processes of the product. Many times my team is presented with surprises which impact our work. We have to troubleshoot and adjust quickly somewhat often. There are no discussions or advance notice for how we can prepare for internal change. Direct management needs improvement: Not the fault of their own, but in my experience here, management is hard to get a hold of because of their busy schedules and numerous meetings each day. They struggle to keep up with day to day work because unnecessary hour long meetings are scheduled which can easily be avoided if there was better communication with teams outside of your department. It seems they have no way of knowing proper POCs to email. HR processes are vague: They do well to present how performance reviews and compensation are measured, but the decisions impacted by them are entirely at the disposal of HR, not your manager. They measure compensation relative to the market for your role for which you nor your manager can have a conversation about.

April 3, 2020HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your view. We believe that communication is critical to creating real, positive change. We also want our employees to be surrounded by colleagues that are compassionate and inspirational. We invite you to reach out to your HRBP or manager to discuss your concerns. We’ll continue to listen and live up to our values.

"What I imagine working in the Trump administration would be like"

Former Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at Audible full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free, decent food. Amazon stock options. Putting Amazon on your resume.

Cons

If you're a creative, research-driven product person, Audible is NOT the place for you. You have a helicopter CEO who seems to spend less time on Audible than trying to make Newark a better place. The latter in an admirable goal, but pick one. CEO periodically drops in and suggests absurd product ideas - things that a first year MBA student would ridicule. It's clear that some of these have been circulating at Audible for a decade or more. No one in the product leadership team has the guts to say to the CEO, "these ideas don't make sense." Periodically, leadership will be so convinced of their idea that they will go to bat against Amazon execs. Inevitably, they lose because THEY ARE BAD IDEAS. Like in the Trump administration, science, research and truly understanding customer and market needs is discouraged, because they will (very likely) test poorly. No one here, especially the CEO, wants to hear that. What gets rewarded is grand pronouncements with little follow through. When the CEO eventually notices that one of his pet projects didn't get done, product leadership will find someone to throw under the bus. For as little as Audible product team actually does, you could get by with 40 people instead fo the 400 they have. Unless you're an SVP, assume that nothing you have to say will matter, even if you are an accomplished leader and have 20 years of experience under your belt.

March 23, 2020HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write an alumni review. Our team works hard to create a productive and inclusive environment, so we’re disappointed to hear you’ve had a different experience. We believe that communication is critical to creating real, positive change. We’ll continue to listen and live up to our values. We wish you the best in your career and thank you for sharing your feedback on Glassdoor.

7. COVID-19

"Corona"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is super friendly place to work and studios are really great way for you to know and involved in our mission.

Cons

Corona happened which is sucks haha. Other than that not sure.

April 2, 2020HR Director

"Some good, some not so good"

Current Employee - Tech Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a lot to like. My recruitment experience was awesome - best I ever had. There are some nice perks - free lunch, subsidized commute/parking, subsidized rent if you live in Newark, proactive community involvement, unique and beautiful office (cathedral), Amazon shares & discount, free Audible membership, free tickets to concerts/hockey in Newark, and a really great product. This will be enough for many employees. The work they do, how they are asked to do it, how they're treated, and how the company is run won't bother them. And this is great stuff and probably kept me there longer than I would have otherwise.

Cons

Three major issues: 1. This is NOT a technology company. This is a media company. And how the Tech/Product organization is run reflects this. 2. Politics! If you read the reviews on Glassdoor this is a them that's repeated again, and again. 3. Year-end review process. It's a popularity contest not an assessment. As modern software companies go Audible is behind the times in many ways. The tech itself is state-of-the-art - after all, they leverage a lot of Amazon technology - and there is also innovation happening. However, as Agile product delivery organizations go, there is LOTS of room for improvement! You will hear this is an Agile enterprise, but it's not. Planning is a "death march". Priorities change like the wind. Expectations are too high so too much is committed to so there can be a lot of extended hours for the dev teams. The impact is huge and, ultimately, negatively affects employee engagement. The biggest problem with this is that there's no desire from upper management to actually do something about it. Politics is probably most to blame for this lack of action. Many of the upper managers seem to be more concerned about themselves and maintaining their "empire" than doing what's best for the company. Managers have literally said that certain words/phrases should not be used! Huh!? I believe that these managers fear being exposed and losing their empire so they live in denial about how effective the delivery org is. If you're not into dealing with politics you probably want to think twice about joining. Finally, the appraisal process. You answer a few questions in essay form. All managers gather to evaluate all of the employees and bucket them into five buckets (now three). They are forced to put a certain amount of employees into each bucket. For example 5% in 1, 15% in 2, 60% in 3, 15% in 4, and 5% in 5. So if you have 100 Directors and more than 5 are excellent, then the others are screwed out of an excellent rating. The biggest flaw in all of this is the complete and utter lack of objectivity. Managers are evaluating and ranking you even if they don't know you or haven't worked with you. Who your manager is has more of an impact on your performance appraisal than what you actually have done. Basically, don't question management, or make any waves, and you'll probably get a good review. Try to be an agent of change and a disrupter, and those managers afraid of losing their perch will exact their revenge at the end of the year.

March 6, 2020HR Director

We recognize that our rapid growth and enhancements to our internal processes can be challenging at times. We like consistency, too, but our continuous improvement, which includes testing and learning, better prepares Audible for the future. Growing pains may accompany these changes, but they’re a necessary and critical part of innovating on behalf of our customers. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and please feel free to reach out to your HRBP or manager with any of your comments and concerns.

9. "Referral Process"

Current Employee - ACX Support Lead in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Audible provides benefits day of employment; Audible encourages growth; Audible is very generous and caring of their employees.

Cons

Sometimes internal communications between teams with important information is poor.

March 6, 2020HR Director

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review and share your feedback! It’s important to us that we have a welcoming atmosphere for our employees. It’s great to hear you’ve been enjoying the many benefits that come with working at Audible. You’re part of a team of brilliant innovators and it’s only fair to offer some nice perks to help keep your creative juices flowing. Thank you for helping make Audible a great place to work!

"nice"

Current Employee - SDE-II

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

tech, work life, salary, food

Cons

oncall, holidays, work life balance sometimes

March 4, 2020HR Director

It’s great to hear you’ve been enjoying the many benefits that come with working at Audible. You’re part of a team of brilliant innovators and it’s only fair to offer some nice perks to help keep your creative juices flowing. Thank you for sharing your feedback and please feel free to reach out to your HRBP or manager with any of your comments and concerns.

Found 299 reviews