Audley Travel Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2020

3.4
Audley Travel Chief Executive Nick Longman
Nick Longman
Pros
  • "Audley is great in that it has all sorts of perks to make it a fun place to work(in 62 reviews)

• "FAM trips- incredible, simply some of the best in the business(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "No big disadvantages of working here- happy to work for Audley(in 44 reviews)

• "Work long hours over suggested 9-5:30; Job requires a lot of skills, multi-tasking and previous experience - wish we the pay were higher(in 25 reviews)

1. "Double Excellent"

5.0

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

tight-knit community, travel perks, chances to grow career in travel

Cons

need to work for at least a year to make the $ worth it

Continue reading
  2. "Country Sales Specialist"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working for this company. Amazing work environment

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment

"Like 80's Wallstreet, All of the Drugs, Sex and Racism and Chauvinism But None of the Pay"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Great fully expenses paid trip once a year, fully covered health benefits, attractive office environment

Cons

This is not a safe or supportive place to work for women or minorities. There is absolutely no D&I effort. They play favorites and will protect bad managers and abusive employees. Your compensation is poor. They assume giving you a big trip each year makes up for lack of pay or promotion opportunities.

Continue reading

"Lots of talk but poor business sense, british company unwilling to learn american business"

1.0

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

colleagues are good people that are fun to be around, socials are fun

Cons

decisions never make much sense and no one in management actually understands the role or the time it takes to do it. all admin is done by sales. never seen that in any other company. will respond with kind words but no action, probably even to this post.

5. "Bottom line: Low-paying sales job"

2.0

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel is fun to talk about all day. Office socials are fun. Staff is friendly and young. Boston is an interesting city. Some opportunity to travel for work. Clients enjoy the product.

Cons

Monotonous. Low-paying, especially when calculated hourly. High-stress. Exceeding (and sometimes even hitting) targets only possible with lots of overtime (unpaid). Somewhat "corporate" environment. Very little manager support for your development. Heavy admin workload - poor sales-to-admin balance.

March 13, 2020Talent Acquisition Partner

We agree that we have a great team here at Audley! We’re truly passionate about travel and believe this resonates with our clients through every conversation. The Travel Sales Specialist job is certainly a multi-faceted role. We do share the full scope of the role as new team members join the business, as it is a balance of sales, client service, administrative details, and passionate travel planning to provide our clients full support while dreaming up their trips and support through their journey. This is why the Audley experience is an amazing one. We do encourage development conversations and regular 1:1’s with all managers – we encourage you to ask for support if you are not receiving it. Just as the role is multifaceted, we encourage a healthy work life balance on top of our commission plan, full benefits coverage, free workout classes (including Rowing, Spin, Zumba, and Yoga), bagels, meditation offerings, and happy hours. As we've continued to grow we have tried to maintain the same sense of team we will always take feedback into consideration so we really appreciate all you've shared!

"Pretty good overall"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company culture is good. Lots of young, like minded people and people are social outside of work.

Cons

if you’re in a role that’s not sales, there’s almost no room for advancement. There had been a culture change recently with arrival of a new CEO with a much bigger focus on the bottom line rather than on the people. Pay is low.

"Country Specialist"

Former Employee - Middle East Country Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere was very welcoming.

Cons

You will not have a good work life balance.

December 20, 2019Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We also feel we have a very welcoming team with a strong familial culture. We strive for all employees to have a good work life balance as wellness is a major priority for Audley as a company. This can include flexible working, mental health initiatives, as well as sponsored yoga, spin classes, and team outings. We appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to make things better here at Audley!

"Don’t be fooled"

2.0

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Social atmosphere which attracts young employees to their Boston offices -Well established company that provides excellent benefits (full medical and partial dental and vision, as well as 401k match and 20+ PTO days per year). -provides regular supply of warm leads to salespeople, of varying quality. Favorite CS might get 2-3 leads a day while out of favor CS can expect maybe one lead per day (if that).

Cons

Company is structured so that specialists must fill all roles of travel planning agency. You will be responsible for planning flights, building and selling itinerary, managing all clients pre/post tour travel and account details, make any changes to itinerary post sale going forward, serve as single point of contact for client. Other companies in the same industry employ multiple people to cover these roles, Audley squeezes multiple roles into a single salary and promises their uncapped commissions make up the shortfall in terms of payment. Ultimately commissions are structured so the least possible number of employees achieve success in their system. All commissions are low until quarterly points are achieved, less than a handful of people earn a point so expect dismal commission payments in return for your labor. In the range of $100-200 per sale. When you automatically cut 10% commission to a travel agent and your commission is less than 0.1%, there is a problem. Another frustrating aspect is the clear favoritism shown to particular members of the staff, especially those hailing from the UK offices. Parity does not exist here as they would rather promote a less qualified long term employee from the UK than a US employee, this is repeated at all levels of the business and in all departments. Managers are not well trained in their role so do not step in as necessary and instead force the country specialist to also assume responsibilities of customer service rep -Work weekends as well, usually 2-3 weekend shifts every 3 months.

December 3, 2019Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the feedback and are always working hard to make improvements at Audley. The Travel Sales Specialist role is a multifaceted position that has you taking on all aspects of the sales process, which we think gives a real personal touch that all of our clients appreciate, and is our point of difference. It's a reason we've been named Best Tour Operator in numerous travel publications over the years. This personal attention to our clients let’s allow our Specialists to showcase their deep and specialized knowledge, which ultimately helps everyone have a better experience when booking and managing the trip and any if any changes need to be made. We are also always looking at making improvements to the commission structure, which did result in a review of the entire commission process in 2017 and implementing those changes. We certainly take all feedback seriously. We are also working to explore other areas to make the experience at Audley even better, and are open to suggestions. Keep sharing with your team representative at the Staff Forums. Being open and available is important when trying to meet our clients’ needs, which does mean on weekends. We strive to give every Travel Sales Specialist work-life balance, which is why we do balance the weekend work with a day off during the week for any weekend you work. We feel it helps bring the teams together to have everyone taking a turn to assist with the clientele interest we receive on the weekends and we find that everyone pitches in to help Audley be the best that it can be. Audley values its employees, which is why we value the ongoing feedback as we continue to make Audley a great place to work. Thank you once again for yours and we really do appreciate it!

"good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of learning opportunities - easy to pick up new sales skills, as its a collaborative environment - great job for someone if you're entry level sales or recently out of college - great work environment (North End Boston, lots of great lunch options nearby) - nice office building - free exercise classes, lots of parties, very social environment - laid back atmosphere - great culture, lots of lovely people work here and everyone is very welcoming and kind

Cons

- long hours (I'm oftentimes at the office until 630pm or later) - it can be very stressful when clients have issues in-country that need to be resolved quickly. Not enough training given around how to manage client issues in-country - they are implementing remote workers but this is not open to all staff. You must be a senior specialist to work remote. The company is very rigid on this- its really frustrating working for a TRAVEL company and you can't even work remotely or from home. WTF. - low paying for a sales job in Boston. I sold a trip that was $14k profit for the company and made about $350 in commission. Once you start earning points and uplift you can make decent money, but I'm a year in and haven't earned a point yet and I'm not seeing the time and effort I put into this job reflected in my paycheck. - tons of micromanaging. Managers come by your desk multiple times a day "checking in to see if I can help with anything". Their intentions are good but I've had managers click through my task manager and talk AT me about what I should be doing. This happens on a daily basis- its like managers don't trust me to do my job and do it well. I'm hitting targets consistently and this is still happening. - the software we use is outdated and SLOW. A minor task such as printing an invoice can take ages to complete due to the incredible inefficiencies of the system. - no online payment system for clients so you get tons of calls with clients trying to pay for their trips

Continue reading

"Good place to learn sales/service skills, not to get rich"

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Audley provides good benefits, a supportive atmosphere, and a generally young and fun group of coworkers. It's a good place to refine your sales/service skills as it's not an easy sell to most people.

Cons

For sales, the pay is on the lower end, so don't expect to get rich. After 2 years on the job you may find yourself stuck with no room to grow both financially or within the company. They'll get the most out of you, so get the most out of them and have an escape plan!

Found 170 reviews