Audubon Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
David Yarnold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Passionate advocates for birds and the environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I've been here 2 years and it's an intense place - in a good way. Yarnold isn't the warmest or fuzziest CEO you'll meet but he has done an incredible job of reinvigorating Audubon and making it it relevant. I read some of these other reviews and wonder if these folks worked at the same place! It's fast paced, filled with dedicated people who are committed to doing good for birds and the environment

Cons

There's been a lot of change and for some, that's been overwhelming. But we were in a pretty bad situation from what I hear, and the change was needed. if you're looking for a calm, sleepy NGO - this isn't the place

Advice to Management

Continue to break down the walls and silos, a lot of progress has been made towards a feeling of "one Audubon" but bot fully there yet

2. "Exciting and fulfilling"

I have been working at Audubon Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m a newbie, only been here about 6 months. This is my first foray into the non-profit world. I made the switch because I wanted to be proud of my day job and play a more active role in the conservation mission. Best people I've ever worked with from scientists to center directors, interns and volunteers who are just solid, energetic, passionate, high-integrity human beings! No question is too stupid and they patiently explain things to you until you get it.

I met Mr. Yarnold a few times and each time he acknowledged me with a greeting or smile….more than I can say about my encounters with other CEOs who awkwardly look away or pretended I’m invisible.

Other pluses:
    - Flexible hours
    - Innovative (constantly developing new education programs to engage the public, magazine team is fantastic)
    - Good mix of new employees (<1 year) and 5+ years striking a nice balance between tested knowledge and fresh thinking

Cons

Heavy workload (although there is no expectation to work beyond your scheduled hours, at least with my boss)

"An amazing organization - tough to leave"

Current Employee - Center Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Center Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Audubon Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My last seven years with the National Audubon Society have been some of the best of my life. The organization is great and getting better. Salary and benefits have been competitive, retirement match: solid. Holidays and time off rival the best US companies. Audubon has wonderful core values that they strive to adhere to and the organization offers opportunities to be involved in meaningful conservation action. This is my last week at Audubon. I have been very well cared for and will miss the organization on many levels. The team has some of the smartest minds in conservation. Employees are friendly, professional, warm, and have great senses of humor.

Cons

Like many non-profits, an ambitious agenda of important work to accomplish on a tight budget.

Advice to Management

I felt time-off policies were above average for most US employers. Work-life balance is a challenge, but I feel this issue is as much internal as it is external. When you are passionate about a cause, your tendency is to give 110%. Comp time policies seem rare today; Audubon has one in place. Office culture (decentralized and probably varied throughout the Audubon network) is young, progressive, innovative, ambitious. I appreciated the focus on environmental conservation wrapped in a culture of productivity and good business.

4. "Summer at Audubon"

Former Employee - Teacher Naturalist in Tiburon, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher Naturalist in Tiburon, CA

Pros

Amazing location, and freedom to utilize creativity

Cons

Can be difficult to fit in all the necessary work within the confines of 8 hour days often times, since overtime needed to be approved

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it was a great program.

5. "Great position"

Former Employee - Restoration Field Assistant in Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Former Employee - Restoration Field Assistant in Trabuco Canyon, CA

I worked at Audubon Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic learning opportunity, a great chance to work with seasoned professionals in a stunning setting. I wish there had been a permanent position available.

Cons

Orange County is an absolutely appalling place. If it weren't for Starr Ranch, there would have been no reason for me to set foot in Rancho Santa Margarita. Much as I miss the work, I don't miss California.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you are all so inspiring and the work that you do is so important.

6. "Inspiring and Hardworking Conservation Organization"

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Audubon Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are awesome and amazing with all kinds of expertise. Great supervisors and multiple projects to keep you energized.

Cons

Would be nice to connect to different states and share experiences throughout the organization

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and engaging the employees.

7. "Environmental Educator"

I worked at Audubon Society full-time

Pros

Great company with strong mission and staff that works very well together

Cons

Many positions are grant based

"Proud Employee"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager

I have been working at Audubon Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full disclosure: I work in Human Resources. That said, I'm amazed my some of the comments I see posted here because my perception is very different. I've committed my time and energy to Audubon and its employees for over four years, and I originally accepted a role here because I knew Audubon was on the verge of something amazing.

We've worked to build a strong HR team that strives to engage staff, and supports the strategic decisions Audubon makes in order to be an innovative, competitive conservation organization in the 21st century. With a staff of 700, it's definitely a challenge to make everyone happy! But, please know that we welcome all feedback and work to incorporate suggestions from employees when developing programs and policies. Feeling like your work is meaningful is important to everyone, and that's what inspires our team to create a fun environment.

I was not in the conservation industry before joining Audubon, and am undoubtedly a poor birder. But, like others who work in infrastructure/overhead positions, I'm here because I love our mission. Since starting , I've met some of the most interesting, talented people in my career, and this includes the senior management team. They work long hours and dedicate themselves to Audubon - because they care about our work.

Cons

Over the last five years, Audubon has had to spend a lot of time bringing the organization up to speed on the technology side. Until a few years ago, online systems and procedures were not available for employees, which I feel created some communication issues between the 100+ locations across the organization. We're now in a much better place, but I would have loved to see these up and running when I joined in 2010. Not necessarily a current "Con," but noteworthy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work and transparency. Let's continue to bring value-added programs and offerings to attract and retain the best talent.

"Summer Camp Counselor"

Pros

Loved having a co-counselor. Definitely makes things more manageable.

Cons

I worked with the youngest age group and sometimes it ranged from 3 years old to 6 years old.

"Great organization"

I worked at Audubon Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--National organization with the capacity to respond to challenges in the workplace and give employees the resources needed to succeed.
    --Great benefits and competetive salary for a non-profit.
    --Non-profit with an upward trajectory
    --You really feel like you are part of something bigger because of the international scale of Audubon.
    --Very collegial work environment.

Cons

All the negative reviews here seem to come from local field staff who got angry when Yarnold came on and required the organization to act like the $91 million non-profit corporation that it is. Audubon is great, but these people are the issue that is holding it back.

Having worked in a field office, I can say this is honestly the toughest challenge. I came to Audubon because it was a national organization, and sometimes the distrust the local staff that are holdovers from the pre-Yarnold era have for national make it difficult to work to achieve the goals set by the national office. The national staff and state executive directors/vice presidents that I worked with were phenomenal and were serving the whole organization. People working in the state offices who weren't vice presidents and were old hires were territorial and honestly harmed the organization.

Advice to Management

Centralize. Centralize. Centralize. Most of the disfunction in the organization comes from local employees thinking that they are part of a local non-profit rather than a national one. Audubon is already moving to a centralized model-- keep going this way.