Aurecon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aurecon Global Chief Executive Officer Giam Swiegers
Giam Swiegers

Pros
Cons
  • Remuneration and career development is limited, unless you're a senior member of the team who's part of the boys club (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management often say/do things that conflict with Senior management seems to be holding the company back (in 6 reviews)

"Shame about the management"

I worked at Aurecon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly skilled engineers
    Wide range of projects
    Opportunity to get involved in some very technical projects

Cons

Very top heavy - too many executives holding on to their position at the expense of staff below
    Politics - if your in the wrong clique or work for the wrong Director then your days are numbered!
    Old boys club of executive shareholders sitting at the top, protecting their dividends and mates
    Hire and fire mentality
    Business strategy seems to be solely focused on getting bought out by a bigger company so the execs can make their millions and retire!

Advice to Management

Go home!

"Geotechnical Engineer"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Aurecon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with. Morning fruits and opportunity to work interstate.

Cons

Absolutely horrible and arrogant managers and section leaders. The company is like a revolving door and they sack people with the drop on a hat.

Advice to Management

Grow up and treat people nicely without bias.

"Management"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

The people below management are collaborative and helpful and care about the organisation

Cons

Smoke and mirrors
    This company protects the 'old boys club!'
    Truth is they do not care about gender equality and bullies.
    Management is spineless, risk adverse and non-transparent. They hold on to dead weight with zero leadership attributes and keep their salaries high and pay the rel brains little.
    They sell innovation and can't even manage their own internal business. Useless at excecution therefore millions spent on consultants who deliver nothing but strategy documents that the cleaners could formulate.

Do not work for them - they treat people like robots and turn them over if you dare be innovative or aren't born in the 1950's

Advice to Management

Stop protecting the useless dead weight irrespective or shareholders. They are dinosaurs and do what you preach

Don't tolerate the boys club and bring in new blood including woman as you preach equality

"Don't touch Aurecon, joining will be your worst nightmare"

Current Employee - Industry Director in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Industry Director in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Aurecon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice new office
    Promise lots of good things
    Nice environment to work in
    Flexibility to purchase more holiday
    They promote anyone regardless of ability

Cons

Management have no idea what they are doing
    Shareholders all protect themselves
    No future for this company, it will fold.

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Toxic"

I worked at Aurecon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some genuinely good people with great technical skills trying to deliver value and do the right thing.

Cons

Where to start. By design Aurecon is structured like multiple cottage industries where each unit manager does their own thing. Strategic enterprise initiatives are not adhered to which means projects are done in multiple ways, potentially even for the same client. Dependent upon my project leader a project will be structured in different ways. Rev Rec week is a disaster when the business becomes very internally focused and the key client becomes other Aurecon units! The unit managers are driven by their P&L which means narcissism is rife and rewarded. The people who designed this system are being asked to fix it; the old boy network is alive and well.

If you don't belong to the right clique then this place is soft on performance and tough on people, the power based, directive culture has worsened in the last 12 months. There are currently 5 CFO’s in the business and for all the spin from the new CEO nothing has really improved in our day to day world.

In summary a horrible place to work, with little career development, you walk around with a target on your back and where power based, narcissistic, machiavellian politics is rewarded.

Advice to Management

A fish rots from the head. Address the old boy network and recognise the bully boy culture.

"A God-awful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Aurecon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None, zero, nada, zip, nil.

Cons

I loyally worked for this company for 11-years. I left this company before the wave of redundancies hit. When I left the company did not even give me a $1 farewell card. So much for my loyal service, eh? What a disgrace! You would not even treat a dog in this way. But, I guess that lack of care and consideration is but one of the low-lights of this misshapen company.

Honestly, I regret not having left much earlier.

This is a dysfunctional company that is top-heavy in uncaring and less than competent management. And let's not even talk about the over-paid, self-indulgent automaton-like directors! And I write this review from first hand experience as I had day to day interactions with all of the top management of this company and its directors.

I remember one memorable quote from a director whose response when told that one employee had worked for Connell Wagner / Aurecon for more than 40 years, said: "He must be mad"! Yes, folks, your caring directors' views about you as an employee, are summed up with that one quote.

If I can summarise my 11 hellish years with this company - over-worked, lack of support, lack of career opportunities, lack of recognition, lack of appreciation, a masculine culture that supports indifference, mediocrity, and bullying of its staff. Still want to work at Aurecon - go ahead, be my guest. But, don't say I didn't warn you.

By the way, I had to give this company one star in order that the review could be published.

"Ordinary. Dull. Local."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Aurecon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Handing in my letter of resignation.

Cons

If you want to be paid about half your market value, receive no training and support, go from being an engineer to an accountant/over due bill chaser, and at the same time be told your projects are not meeting the ever shifting Aurecon financial KPI's then this is your dream place to work. Wait... I forgot to mention to expect your people manager to take credit for your effort so he gets your raise and that he/she will offload their poorly performing projects to you. If your the lowest paid you will be very popular with the project leaders but if you ask for something above the minimum wage expect to be left out to dry.

Advice to Management

Just change some stuff and when that doesn't work change it back. Then come up with another great idea and implement that and when that doesn't work you can just do some more changes because there isn't any accountability. Remember it's easy to cover up the mistakes by handing out redundancies to them hard working folk hey, and then collect your bonus check along the way because you deserve it. Writing out those letters must be really hard work. It hard to write anything more than that because it so hard to find fault.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Aurecon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some talented and hard working individuals who are thoughtful engineers with great ideas.

Cons

Previous CEO just ran the company into the ground. It was a miserable place to work in the end and people were happy to get out. Too many people in management positions who contributed nothing. The manager who reviewed my KPI's had no idea what I had done for the previous twelve months. Other reviews are correct, was a great place that unfortunately became toxic.

Advice to Management

Needs to be a move away from the rubbish corporate speak and platitudes that have engulfed the company and a move towards real measurable and quantifiable KPI's. Nobody wants to score a 5/5 for being vibrant, they want 5/5 for coming up with unique and different solutions to problems.

"Toxic Toxic Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at Aurecon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting paid on time. That's about it.

Cons

Since 2009 GFC till now, Aurecon has been going through a wave of transformation and restructuring resulting in letting go of many staff. This created a very toxic environment, every man for himself culture, all for the sake of avoiding to be next on the chopping board. Apart from the "selected few" who has been "awarded immunity" with endless career advancements, majority of staff are subject to this: Getting ”singled-out” by management, back stabbing, blaming, finger pointing, pay freeze for years (can’t even remember when my last pathetic % pay raise was), promotion with higher responsibilities but no corresponding pay increment, no work/life balance, massive overtime is fully EXPECTED-no time in lieu-no exceptions-no negotiations-or your KPIs suffer, flying with unnecessary connecting flights after hours/off days during godforsaken hours to work on projects are a norm to save a few $$ in project expenses, use your own devices/equipment/mobile phone, climb ladders and work in fatigue state when Company OHS preach otherwise, don't even be 10 mins late for work, inflexible and so much more. It is not surprising more than half of the staff are unhappy, unmotivated, ill-treated. Work environment/morale is just so down and negative that I made the decision to resign last year. Best decision I ever made, got paid much more and better work environment now!

Advice to Management

No point writing any, because management do not listen and penalizes people who does.

"Management. What management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Aurecon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get paid to work there. Good projects with existing large clients. Large market diversity.

Cons

Management is really poor and uninspiring and directionless from the top down. Offices and business units work in isolation with very little coordination. Wants to be a tier one consultant but has no idea how to get there. The reluctance to adapt and innovate in a changing market and win new clients is catching up as coal terminal work is coming to an end. No clear position descriptions of staff in key positions. Complete lack of respect or understanding of staff in non engineering roles with little to no career opportunities. Performance and development system is completely ineffectual and does nothing for staff development or engagement. Current offices are a joke paying huge long term rents on flash new green star buildings with large comunual areas but personal workspaces are poor.

Advice to Management

Management needs a complete overhaul with clear well defined roles. The old school engineers do not make good managers and consistently fail to inspire internal staff or new clients that are looking for new and inspiring ways of project delivery. Encouragement of innovation and software needs to carefully managed by managers who are capable of evaluating new ideas on merit rather than spin and marketing gloss.