Aurora University Reviews | Glassdoor

Aurora University Reviews

Found 45 reviews

Aurora University CEO Rebecca L. Sherrick
Rebecca L. Sherrick

"Great place to work as a student"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Aurora, IL

I worked at Aurora University part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Flexible hours with class schedule, caring, good pay

Cons

Employment as a student worker ends with graduation

Aurora University2018-10-16
  2. "Just Say No!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Aurora University full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I would struggle to suggest anything that couldn't be found at other employers other than the free college for your kids.

Cons

Long and distinguished.... The biggest roadblocks you'll face are the people who are in charge. Issues at AU stem directly from their draconian/mafia styled management approaches. They tend to blow things out of proportion or made them worse. Who ever said top down was absolutely correct. Whoever said communication in a relationship is a two way street certainly never worked at AU. Working at AU makes you...

Advice to Management

Vote of no confidence submitted!

Aurora University2019-05-11

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Aurora, IL

I worked at Aurora University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Resume padder, networking, did open a door to a healthy career for me, flexible schedule, not being stuck there was the biggest pro!

Cons

Pay is an issue, no training, no growth oppertunties, promotes low skill sets and stagnation, high expectations, vague guidelines, very very poor culture created by poor senior management. I would not want to be stuck at Aurora University for any number of years as a career choice.

Advice to Management

You should listen to your employees. You absolutely need to stop ignoring your staff! Start to value people over income.

Aurora University2019-04-29

"Committed colleagues but toxic leadership"

I have been working at Aurora University full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Working with AU students is great. For the most part, they are hard-working, earnest people, and it's rewarding to know we can be a part of helping them accomplish their goals. Most of the people who work there care about the students and have good camaraderie with each other. The pay is fair, for my position.

Cons

The President seems to pit groups of employees against each other and says negative things about one group to another group. Most senior management people seem afraid of her, and none of them have any ability to make a decision without her permission. She tends to place blame for any problem on some group or individual and never accepts responsibility for things that go wrong.

Aurora University2019-03-02

"Passive Aggressive"

Current Employee - Admissions in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Aurora University full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Pay comes on time Hours are consistent Holidays and weekends off Easy job responsibilities, brain dead easy Raises randomly given at times

Cons

Backwards, utopian minded, back stabbing administration. There are a lot administrators that are out of touch with average Americans, especially those who are not in the academic world. They relate poorly with bluecollar workers. They are very knee jerk to issues versus being proactive. Blame game is common. A key skill you'll develop is practising C.Y.A. Sherrick and her "crew" are passive aggressive bullies. She...

Advice to Management

You're unwilling to change. The stick that does not bend will likely break. Your mindsets are obsolete, worse yet you're bad people, retire and save us all the trouble. You'd be supprised how many of your workers are not drinking the cool aid.

Aurora University2019-04-17

"Run as fast as you can."

I have been working at Aurora University

Pros

There’s really not much good to say about this place. If you dislike being challenged and have a strong desire to blindly follow directions without room for discussion, then this is the place for you.

Cons

Exceptionally top-down No room for discussion or debate Requires blind loyalty Limited long-term strategic planning (there’s no consistency to goals or objectives) Plans change on a dime at the president’s whim Willing to recruit under false pretenses

Advice to Management

The top-down, no debate model within many departments is exceptionally troubling within a higher education institution. You’re doing no favors to your staff or students by bullying and requiring blind compliance from all employees. Run ... hide ... get away (fast).

Aurora University2019-04-05
  7. "Wonderful benefits"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aurora, IL

I worked at Aurora University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful campus, and students are No. 1. The president of the university is very transparent.

Cons

The culture isn't for everyone. The university can run at a very slow pace .

Aurora University2019-02-28

"Do yourself a favor and skip the application"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Aurora University full-time

Pros

Pay was outstanding. Small office environments allow you to keep your head down most days

Cons

-Leadership was focused on dollars and nothing else. -My role often times was reduced to pushing students to enroll against their own better judgment- I was NOT in admission/recruitment. -Their strategy is reactive to problems, there was no proactive planning. -Nepotism central. -Inflexible and dehumanizing supervision, at times to the point of humiliation -No opportunities for advancement (which, to be fair,...

Advice to Management

I have none- they've got a clear agenda and nothing they do will change while any of them are still in charge.

Aurora University2019-01-29

"Not bad, not great"

I have been working at Aurora University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small campus so it's easy to network, ability to be creative and independent in your work

Cons

Heavy workload, long hours and no overtime/comp. pay, one person office

Aurora University2018-12-26
    • "Admission Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Aurora University full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great flexibility and team work

Cons

I have no cons to talk about

Aurora University2018-08-08