Austin Communication Group Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Austin Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Communication Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely an awesome place to work if you want to learn and advance within a career. Its a very active and high energy environment with a lot of encouragement and positivity. It's perfect if you want to own a business one day. I've made some amazing connections and relationships while working here.

Cons

You have to work hard. This isn't for people who want the typical, boring job.

2. "Brainwashed"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much at all

Cons

Door to Door Sales trying to get people to switch to AT&T and I'm sure the ratings are good cause current employees self rate it.

Advice to Management

Tell people the truth don't sugar coat what you actually do

"Not an enjoyable experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Dress code, make your own schedule, mobility

Cons

Door to door sales, danger ous, bothersome to people

Advice to Management

Try a different approach

"Just call it what it is, DOOR TO DOOR"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, very motivating and young. A people helping people business which sounds good in theory. It is hard work and looks great on a resume.

Cons

its sales; so obviously your pay is going to change based on how well you do, but there are plenty more sales jobs that you can make more money and spend less time working. It wasn't until I could take a step back from it all and realize it is a bit brainwashy (if that's even a word). You'll play dress up in the mornings for 3 hours and change into more comfortable clothes to go door to door. Their reasoning for playing dress up is what if other business owners and CEOs walk in, you want to give them the impression that they don't know who the boss is because everyone is dressed professional. You would really have to care what other people think about you to buy in to this idea. It's also another way to glorify your position form what you really do, and that's door to door sales. They'll try to convince you that if this "opportunity" isn't for you than go work at some "desk job". It's just their way of saying don't leave them because they need employees. They're always hiring. I wouldn't say that they hire just anyone but if you have a half a brain, dress decent, aren't a complete bum and can talk to people then chances are you'll be invited back for a "2nd round interview". All that consists of is if basically you can last 8 hours dressed nice going door to door and your still slightly interested than the job is all yours. The time is extremely demanding as well. I would say about 80 percent of the employees if not higher currently have no social life other than work. Partially because they came into the business with no social life to begin with which is why they love working there. There is a "mandatory team night" as well as whatever team your placed on they have nights where they get together and do things. So in other words they make you hangout with people outside of work. If nothing else this company makes a great buddy system for those without the social life. I've kept in touch with more than a handful or people that have left the business and the feeling is unanimous among all the former employees. The compensation can absolutely be rewarding......if you are extremely consistent sales (which a select few are) and assuming you have a lot sales if your cancel percentage is low (which even fewer are). All in all this isn't the only business that you can be successful in, take it from me who worked there for over 6 months and was led to believe that this was my best opportunity in life and if I quit then there'd only be desk jobs left for me, I've since left and have been successful almost immediately and work half the hours I used to and love the people I work with without being forced to.

Advice to Management

Don't hype people up on the opportunity being easy and fast. Id like to see the percentage of people that become successful from this business compared to the ones that don't. Plus don't have current employees forcefully fill out positive glassdoor and facebook reviews to make the company look good.

"Great place to learn and grow!"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is exciting and will make you want to come to work everyday. The management team is extremely committed to helping everyone one of their employees grow and develop as leaders in the company and eventually into management. This entry-level position is a great place to start a career and learn all of the aspects of managing a business. Austin Communication's teaches sales, marketing, recruiting, HR, team development and personal/professional development as well.

Cons

The hours are longer than most. Commitment to time and growth is the best way to excel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I am excited to see the growth for this company.

"This is Door-to-Door Sales, but it works for some people...just not me."

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is positive and the managers are very involved and want you to succeed.

Cons

It is Door-to-Door sales. After I told my significant other what I was doing, he bought me a knife and pepper spray to protect myself at night, yes at night, when I was going door to door.

It is 100% commission based (this could be a pro if you like to sell) I wasn't great at this job so this is a con for me. I felt very uncomfortable going to random people's houses, especially at night in downtown Austin. The trainers and managers kept saying 'you'll be fine' and 'dont worry about it.'

We would have to go to neighborhoods that were "No Soliciting" and had to sell anyways. I got the cops called on me once and when he pulled me over while I was walking is when I really decided to find something else.

I felt like I was mislead about this job during the phone interview and from what their website says.

The reviews where people are insulting this company are taking their opinions too far. IF you like sales and dont mind working 70+ hours a week then you may do well. Some of the 'Account Managers' do make good money because they get people to believe them and sell to people who will listen.

Personally, I like my job now where I get a steady pay check, with benefits and PTO. I like knowing how much my paycheck will be every week. This job is not for everyone, but some people do excell at it.

Advice to Management

Just to be upfront about what you do and let people know that they will be selling until after dark. (I don't know if you still are required to walk around until 9pm or not).

"I did not like how this company did not pay me for the time I offered."

Current Employee - ACCOUNT MANAGER(But IT IS Really Door to Door Sales) in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Communication Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people and felt comfortable talking with them. There is a can-do attitude which makes everyone feel, at first, like this is the place to be. Being around like minded people was great.

Cons

This job is extremely time demanding. If you have anything else you prioritize, this job isn't for you. There isn't much time to eat, let alone go to any doctors appointments.

Advice to Management

Management should consider providing some sort of incentive to stay during the first week of training.

"Job description is a misdirection"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun group of people
    - Extensive hands-on training
    - Weekly group/team events

Cons

- Not an office job, expect to spend 40+ hours/ week walking outside
    - You are labeled as an account manager but you are really a door to door salesman.
    - You don't need a college degree to do this.
    - Salary can and will fluctuate; can depend on how lucky you get
    - Work on Saturdays

Advice to Management

- First part of the day is unnecessary, why come to work dressed in business attire if everyone is going to be wearing ATT polos and shorts? You don't need to doll it up so much, this job is what it is.

"Misleading, cult-like door to door sales jobs"

Former Employee - ACCOUNT MANAGER(But IT IS Really Door to Door Sales) in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people end up working super long hours and making basically nothing here. Borderline con artists. Empty promises of success when its simply just a door to door marketing job that any high schooler could do. There are no pros. This is essentially a branch of Cydcor.

Cons

False promises, tons of time wasting activities, extremely low pay. There are no redeeming qualities really and this company is honestly very cult like in many ways. They work people 60+ hours a week then expect participation in group activities outside of work. Ugh, who wants to be with their coworkers all the time? With one day off a week, I would want to spend time away from them.

Advice to Management

be up front about what your company actually is. Stop trying to pretend you're not just a branch of Cydcor

"Learning more than I could have imagined while having hands on approach in sales and marketing."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Communication Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with ACG because you ALWAYS have someone behind you pushing to make you a better leader and/or mentor. I've always wanted a job that acknowledges when I do an awesome job.

Cons

Challenges while working with ACG is consistently having the feeling of being uncomfortable. They push their employees to grow and develop (at a reasonable pace) which may come at a shock for some people. Also, they expect you to work hard and put in long hours, which is understandable if you want to succeed in life.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job by always being there for their guys. It is great to know you are making a difference and your not just a number in a business.