Austin Macauley Publishers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 12, 2019

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Scammers"

Pros

NONE that I can think of.

Cons

This is a vanity publisher. If you have any self-respect, you won't want to be part of it.

Dec 20, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

I would firstly like to address your comment regarding vanity publishing. Austin Macauley Publishers are a professional hybrid publisher. The... More

2. "A high energy work place"

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

Everyone is super friendly and welcoming. I’ve received a lot of mentoring and learnt so much in time at here. I’ve grown as a person and as an employee. I feel my skills have become well rounded and I’ve been introduced to a very competitive industry in an amazing way. there is no way I would have received the treatment I have here anywhere else.

Cons

Can have the normal office drama some negativity (but you get that everywhere)

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees as outside negativity can get to them sometimes and that is sometimes brought in.

Feb 19, 2019 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

It was fantastic to read your review of Austin Macauley, it's important to us that you have enough training and work in a welcoming environment... More

3. "An accommodating place to work"

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management seem to listen to me really well, any problems or issues are dealt with the same day. Approachable and more than helpful, cant ask for much more, a bit of a shaky start but after I aired my concerns and frustrations they were sorted quickly and with me in mind.

I like the fact that my management seem to have an 'open door' policy and I know I can just pop in for a chat if I feel I need a little information or to air my concerns even at bang on 8AM before coffee! I cannot praise the management employee who listens, rectifies and encourages me enough - she is truly an asset to this company and stands for what any management in a company should be like.

The head of department has been equally as good with me - welcoming me into the office and making sure that each member of staff has a laugh and helps provide a really nice atmosphere.

Austin Macauley seem to have alot of negative press which in my eyes at the moment is not really warranted, I have experienced nothing but kindness and consideration from higher management and all members of staff as well as care towards authors all staff seem to really care about every book they deal with.

Still early days but so far so good! I feel happy, comfortable and pretty much welcome at Austin Macauleys.

Cons

None at the moment - Although there does not seem to be many company benefits that I know of or that have been mentioned to me. No incentive schemes etc. But this may not be relevant to my role.

Advice to Management

Alot of departments that maybe do not mix with each other enough - seems like all the departments keep to themselves and do not tend to mix. Maybe team building days would be an advantage to ensure everyone mixes well and will maybe encourage better communication between departments.

A team that communicates properly is a team that can truly work without limits

Jan 23, 2019 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
    It was great to read your review about Austin Macauley and we hope you have settled in well!
    As a company, we look to give a professional... More

"Austin Macauley in a few words"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ely, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ely, England (UK)

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

The staff at middle management and below are creative, collaborative, smart, and fun people. It is a good place to get your first job in the publishing industry.

Cons

The Senior Leadership Team are slow to make decisions and lack a company or product vision/strategy. High performing reps never stay longer than 2 years. There is no formal training and when there is is very poor. New starters are abandoned in the deep end with little help. Apprentices need to be lucky, or they will be left out in the cold, an apprentices make up 80% of the staff. There are some truly incompetent people at management level who continue to stay employed while other more competent people are restructured out of positions. Talented and loyal staff have become disillusioned and left. The pay is jokingly low.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, develop them and keep them. Employ competent and experienced people at management level or train and coach those who are there. Hold those people in leadership accountable for mistakes and lack of progress and last but most important work by the UK ethics and standards and not South Asia. The company is in the UK and not in South Asia! Stop Deleting the Reviews, Stop the fake Reviews...Keep it REAL!

Jul 26, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I also believe all of our staff are very creative and hardworking individuals!

Our growth across the years of 330%, has had an impact... More

"Laughable company"

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

Great colleagues in each team. The office is split into two buildings as well, so if you work in one of the offices you're not constantly watched over by top management.

Working here really makes you appreciate a new and professional working environment when you leave after 6 months.

Cons

All the low star reviews sum this company up. They are terrible and take employees and authors on a ride. They have no respect for anyone and don't understand the concept of editing, graphic design, distribution, sales, marketing, accounting or customer service. Basically what makes a publishing company.

Yes they publish books, and even promote them, but they put the absolute minimal effort and no finance into doing so, although through no fault of the staff members who work themselves to the bone to get things done for authors. As an author and an employee you will be lied to and mistreated from day 1.

If you just want you book in print form, they are perfect for you, but don't expect much more.

Please don't blame anyone but top management for the problems you will have. The staff work themselves into fits of depression trying to make your book a success from start to finish because they honestly do care. Despite the talent and skills of staff and authors, the success of the 90 books Austin Macauley publishes a month fails because staff meet the barrier that is top management when they try to do anything. Staff are constrained by top management and the rules they dictate, and threatened with being sacked if they don't follow them.

Top management will always put the blame on staff or ex-employees when really they need to realise they are the failure.

Advice to Management

Top management won't listen, many colleages have tried.

Jul 26, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are happy to see you enjoyed working in a team with your colleagues.

As a company that has existed for over 10 years, we understand the... More

"A dreadful place for both authors and employees"

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

The staff on the floor are excellent and work hard. They are creative and a good laugh. A lot of the time, the work itself is fun and rewarding, especially when an author starts selling well and gets some great reviews. There are a lot of different books and so approaching them needs to be different, which adds a lot of variance to the role. If you do not have much experience, they will still consider you for a job as well. Everything I know now, I owe entirely to my line manager. They taught me a great deal and I feel confident now in my current role.

Cons

You are worked within an inch of your existence. The management do not have any care in the world for you, scream at you for doing the job not the way they wanted it done, make you perform menial tasks for no gain, scrutinize every moment of your work time - I was once told off for laughing at a joke. Seriously. All the work we should be doing is now sent out to Asia to be outsourced, making your work even less important, and the work then has to be redone by yourself as the outsourced work was dreadful. They restrict you for no reasons, forbidding you to do things that no one else would think about. I once wrote an interesting blog piece for the website when I was on my lunch break and was then told off for it saying "it wasn't my responsibility". They seek nothing than to reward themselves as the owners, rather than dedicate any time or consideration into thinking why so many people leave their company. You are also working with so many authors at one time that your work will suffer in quality. It is hard to maintain focus on a single task when you have around 80+ authors screaming at you asking for an update or news or with a request. It's not the authors' fault, but it isn't mine either. The company being split into two offices a long way from each other also means that the social element is lost, and one team feels segregated from the other. There are security cameras everywhere. Ok, you might want some pointing at the doors outside, but there is no reason for them to be pointing at my desk or at the kitchen break room. Don't tell me that's for safety. Also, just to let any readers know, there are some false reviews on this page. Some are angry authors who don't know what they are talking about, but even some of the good ones are false. When working there, I was asked to write a good review on here to bump up the ratings.

Advice to Management

Ok, your company is in a debt, a lot of it I'm guessing. It really does not take a genius to work out. I know you make most of your money through the actual contract side of the business than selling of books so you have two options.
    1. Start sending out contracts that do not include the marketing side of the business so that once the authors are published, they are not going to be a drain on resources - this gives you a chance to minimalise the numbers of people in the marketing department over time.
    2. Publish fewer books. The more time we can spend working on the books will actually make them better reads, more time can be spent actually arranging events for the authors, and will then lead to more sales. You'll also be viewed from outsiders as a company that produces good quality books, not just nearly anything that lands on your desk.
    I know that this might be a difficult period for you, but this is how your employees feel. It's important to realise that, and know that if your employees are treated fairly, they are much more likely to put the effort in. You might think you are doing nothing wrong, but it's time to pay attention and admit your mistakes.

Jul 26, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your input and are glad you enjoyed a varied role with our authors and that you had a good relationship with your line manager... More

7. "Top Publisher (Best place to work)"

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

I absolutely love working here! My line manager is great and I get on well with the Senior Management. It is nice to work for a company who value you and listen to your ideas. Most places that I have worked for in the past treat you as a number, whereas at AMP you can be involved in other areas that you’re interested in. The company has expanded rapidly which makes it an exciting place to work, as we always have new opportunities coming up. Senior management work hard on the client’s behalf and are always working on new acquisitions to improve our publishing services.

Cons

I would like to travel for more of the publishing events.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Jul 26, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We enjoyed reading your review and are happy you appreciate the rapid growth the company has entailed. As a company, we love to hear innovative... More

"Change is in the air"

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

Current management are so committed to change and improvement. This is an amazing nurturing place to work. They have had some negative press but this has not been my experience at all!! Everyone is very committed to improvement and open to suggestions for staff at all levels of the business. They push people with potential and nurture new talent in a trusting environment committed to process improvement. They really care about making the business a success and creating a positive experience for their authors. So far I’m loving my time there and, for the first time in a long time, I look forward to going into work.

Cons

Real responsibility and accountability isn’t for everyone.... But if you want to make a difference and help people make their publishing dreams come true, then this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing

Jul 26, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your input and are extremely happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience at AM. We always welcome ideas from staff to forward... More

"It's awful cant wait to get out"

Current Employee - Assistant in Ely, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Ely, England (UK)

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet plenty of ppl as the staff turn over is so high here most of the staff I work with are lovely we just don't feel we have any security as management has proved many times they just get rid of ppl at a moment's notice.

Cons

Everything things will never change here, all they care about is getting in money, don't care about staff or customers.

Advice to Management

You've had good staff and treat them awfully rubbish company to work for no respect for employees

Nov 3, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are disappointed to hear about your experiences at AM and would love to learn more to ensure we can make improvements going forward. Our authors... More

"Shocking employer"

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

There really are no good reasons to work here!!! Except the staff become good friends in order to cope with the fact that they have given up good jobs to go there. The interview makes you feel that you have landed a good job......in reality you will only have employment there for a very short time. Employment hell!

Cons

People are rarely given a permanent contract. I fact there is really no one there that is happy or will be there long. People crying nearly every day. People walking out or sacked on the spot. Please do not give up a good job to go here!

Advice to Management

None.....you know you are not running a legitimate business for your staff or your authors. Time to close down .

Dec 20, 2018 – International Publishing Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

We were alarmed to hear how you have felt during your time with Austin Macauley and would appreciate finding out why you felt this way and about... More