Australia Department of the Treasury Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"TFIA"

Former Employee - Tax Fraud Investigative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Fraud Investigative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Got along with employees, great benefits

Cons

no overtime, no out of town training

Advice to Management

stop micro-managing!

2. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good federal government job, good job security.

Cons

Budget subject to the whim of Congress

3. "Wonderful place to work, smart people and flat structure compared to rest of government"

Former Employee - International Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - International Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, motivated colleagues, doing work that is interesting and fast-paced. Great culture.

Cons

Certain processes take a very long time, such as hiring. Beholden to the govt budgetary process.

4. "Systematic operations analysis, improving existing techniques."

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent and inspiring coworkers. High caliber backgrounds and knowledge.

Cons

Size of the operation can be cumbersome in light of implementing innovation.

Advice to Management

Streamline technological enhancements.

5. "Fantastic internship"

Pros

Great people -- highly intelligent, nice, and happy to share what they know and chat about it with you. Beautiful building too. Felt like people were genuinely interested in helping out and hearing what others were up to.

Cons

Unpaid internship, which is difficult, but I had funding from my school. This wasn't an issue, but it's really crucial to take initiative here, and practice "managing up" in an intern setting. What does your supervisor need?

Advice to Management

Please keep being intelligent, kind, and overall fantastic. Had a great time here this summer.

"Good Pay"

Pros

Good Pay, Several shifts to choose from.

Cons

Management is horrible an very unorganized.

7. "Great place"

I worked at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time

Pros

definitely one of the best Commonwealth Government agencies

Cons

some aspects of job are more politically driven

8. "Great pay and conditions; culture needs a fix"

I worked at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time

Pros

- Excellent training and development with generous study leave provision and management that is very supportive of juniors.
    - Lots of interesting guest speakers and seminars, especially if you're interested in economic and social policy.
    - Very generous pay and conditions for the amount of work you do -- good work/life balance in some areas
    - Some interesting work if you're in the right areas -- but see my comment below about actually getting into these areas.
    - Some helpful mentors if you know who to cosy up to, and (sorry to say this) especially if you're woman.

Cons

- The promotions and positions in the sought after parts of Treasury tend to go to the extroverted schmoozers who rely more on their political capital than their skills, experience and hard work to get ahead.

- An outstandingly inept HR team, unable to give even the most basic advice in relation to leave, promotion, pay and conditions. I twice got incorrect advice that significantly hampered my ability to accurately judge a situation.

- An over-complicated appraisals process that actually obscures the opaque promotion and transfers process, overseen by a self-appointed Politburo called the 'People committee'. (I'm not even kidding -- the Soviet allusions are uncanny.) I hear there is talk of getting rid of this ridiculous system. I really hope it happens.

- An ongoing bias toward economics and econometric skills and experience. This is a difficult one -- while I believe that as the Commonwealth Department in charge of economic policy, Treasury should make economics its top priority, I think it is unfair to pay lip service to, and give employees the false impression of, the value of other skills and experience, such as in law. My advice is -- don't believe the hype about how Treasury is opening itself up to non-economics graduates. Even if there is no bias at recruitment, it still very much remains as you move through the organisation.

- A Progressing Women Initiative -- which, while being a great concept in theory, has unfortunately been hijacked by people who are using it to advance their career. It's almost as if it's the place to be 'seen' in order to get in management's good books. Participation in the program unfairly advantages your career prospects; non-participation seems to give people the impression you are a sexist and does no favours when you are trying to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

Simplify your promotion process; fire your entire HR team; scrap your People committee; really embrace other skills and experience, not just at recruitment but at promotions; reform the Progressing Women Initiative and please have similar initiatives for people from different ethnic backgrounds and with disabilities

"Management and Program Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkes (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkes (Australia)

I have been working at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good mid level team community

Cons

No decision making authority until senior levels. Check the block employee engagement events.

"When it's good it's good - otherwise there are sharks in the water that will take you down"

I worked at Australia Department of the Treasury full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work, caring management, a career path. Exposure to the big issues in government and the freedom to make arguments underpinned by evidence.

Cons

Inability to believe that people are capable of the worst. I had a subordinate who arranged lunches that half the unit couldn't enjoy as they were allergic to the food, but she could.

Advice to Management

When people complain of harassment they meant it and action should be taken or they will walk