Authentic Brands Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"FOR THE HUNGRY"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dear World:

Can't help but roll my eyes at the sad, negative, hater-hating reviews bestowed upon ABG, the #1 licensing company in the world, with incredible brands and incredible people and a mad-genius-scientist Jamie Salter as the CEO who has more energy and spirit than any corporate dudd I've worked for in the past.

ABG is the definition of WE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO! Truly an incredible place to work for if you desire speed, independence, true autonomy, high energy, creativity, extreme deal flow and of course a little political tango. There is no better training for real life than at ABG - you will be swimming with the sharks, but need to appreciate that this stems from genuine passion.

ABG, through each employee, collectively moves mountains. Each person is a unique piece to the puzzle, and everyone makes a serious contribution.

The company is financially very sound, because everyone works 24/7 and cares and each dollar counts and each dollar is monitored. You do well - you get rewarded.

No idea is silly; every single office is built through clear glass - because ABG actually is an open door policy.

The amount of people you meet is out of this world - and I guarantee no other places offers such a dynamic atmosphere.

ABG builds brands - Juicy Couture was dead before acquisition and today, it is a thriving global brand. Judith Leiber is ready for take off. Megan Fox was signed for Frederick's of Hollywood. Marilyn Monroe is the face of Chanel. Shaq roams the office in all his glory. Life is good.

Join ABG if you're in it to really win it.

Cons

It is a brutally honest environment - you must have thick skin.

Nothing is ever good enough, but in a way that pushes you.

It is not a place for faint of heart. You gotta want it, to win it.

Advice to Management

My direct supervisor gave a speech to the Company once that said you're entire happiness - both in life and professionally - is whether you view the glass half full or half empty. He is definitely in the half glass full camp.

I've worked at other places before, and no boss of mine ever made that statement. And it's true - you really need be a half glass full person.

Management is very tough, but it makes you strong. This place trains you very well. You will have much strong business acumen and demeanor passing through ABG.

Business outlook is very positive. ABG is in excellent shape and ready to grow more.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some people in the company are extremely nice people, some friends you may make for a lifetime
    - Pays over-time for certain employees
    - Working with few high profile clients/celebrities
    - Extremely fast paced environment with deadlines all the time for multiple projects and this pushes you to work hard above your expectation/realization
    - Working for multiple brands at once helps you to learn professionally
    - The overall impression of "A.B.G's" brand portfolio looks and sounds very impressive to many
    - You do over-see projects because the company has such a small team

Cons

- NO proper HR team and you'll realize the true importance of this when you come to a company like this, I had an issue and I tried to reach out to the "HR" and she was extremely unprofessional and biased
    - NO respect for anyone who's starting out, they'll make you do multiple things that isn't even a part of your job description i.e. coordinators also have to monitor the desk everyday (there's a time log)
    - There will be various exciting projects happening but no one except the executives will be allowed to attend, you only get to do the job and thats it, if you're lucky they will say thank you
    - There's no work/life balance because if you completed one thing, you're slacking on another and you WILL get emails late nights and work on weekends
    - NO such thing as work culture, the only culture is to do work
    - Extremely tight budgets ALL the time, the term "budget is very low/tight" is a very commonly used sentence here and often requires you to be scrappy on another level and this is a company thats trying to SELL brands
    - Executives and certain managers don't care about their people AT ALL. If you have an issue, there may be ONE person in management who will care but others dont and wont because you're easily replaceable for them

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, the amount of work you make them do is well above the job description and you know that yourself maybe thats why you dont have a proper HR team and why you dont pay them in salaries they well deserve.
    The executives know how intense the work load is, but they dont appreciate or support their employees and this should change, help your people GROW. Money isn't all that an employee wants from a company.
    No exaggeration but it comes across as if they're scared of young candidates taking over managerial roles as compared to the elders/ family relatives. If you want to keep up with the trends and changes you need to change your old ways.
    DON'T make promises you can't keep to an employee, I was told several things which I had clearly stated as were important factors for accepting my job and my boss said OK to all but in the end this was all FALSE. When I complained to the "HR" my manager said this was to "keep the conversation going" and in the end I had no help. The HR didnt help me, my manager avoided me for days because i'm sure he knew he was wrong. When I told the HR, all she could come back to me with was "do you have this in writing?". WATCH YOUR BACK IF YOU'RE HERE.

Seriously, international students don't even consider this company. They may say various things when you're negotiating your job offer but it doesn't mean anything. If they've agreed to anything during your initial conversation tell them to write it down as your term of agreement before accepting full time opportunity.

3. "Career Advancement."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that has grown leaps and bounds in its 6 years of existence. Startup mentality still lives within many of the employees and has progressed the success of the business.

Constantly reinventing the traditional licensing model. Slim to no DTR deals, partners with the landlords, has an entertainment portfolio and collaboration with each of the pillars is welcomed. New Brands always add excitement to the organization

There is an open door policy to the executives from the CEO to every VP in the company. No question or idea is dumb. No matter what position.

The growth of employees within the organization is quite amazing. People that came in as coordinators or analysts have been given promotions and new responsibility.

The executive team over the last 3 years have begun to upgrade the talent and replace employees that are poor team members and morale drainers.

The work-life balance has significantly improved along with other policies, benefits and healthcare.

Cons

Longer hours than most of the competitive companies.

Advice to Management

Keep reinventing the platform. Its exciting

Continue to upgrade talent

"Facade ... RUN - don't walk"

I worked at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hope and excitement that this place was what I thought it was as an outsider looking in or potential of what it could be. Oh and the building is nice but don't judge a book (or should I say brand) by the cover.

Cons

This is literally the most terrible place I ever worked - like worst nightmare (want to take a memory erase pill like in the movies and forget it ever happened) kinda place. No seriously. Do yourself and your future self (and anyone you ever cared about or want to see in your future) a favor and run ... don't walk. They will tell you what you want to hear in the interview - spoiler: NONE of it is true. The building and the interview and anything you see on the brands is all a façade for terrible people and a family run regime unless you are one of the five people they like - then don't worry you are good. (Sidenote: If you are one of them - you get a new made up promotion every month and get to be a jerk to everyone ... #winning) This place is a soulsucker and will ruin you - there are some nice people there who got lost along of the way and ended up there. I pray for them and that they get out while they still can. PS Forget about any time off ... I mean ever. Say goodbye to being sick or vacations. Oh and your family too because you will never see them again. Sleep - not an option. They call you and email you constantly. And those ideas you have - yeah no one wants to hear them.

Advice to Management

Interesting brands to work with and so much untapped opportunity. Utilize the talent you have and listen to people you hire to build brands who are good at what they do instead of shutting them down.

"I can't believe this company is still around ... why isn't there a no star option?"

I worked at Authentic Brands Group full-time

Pros

There are some nice people and what seem to be interesting brands - I remember it as the land of lost creative souls.

Cons

Environment of pure panic 24/7. Family run and if you are not related or close to that group - you really don't count, are a warm body for them to look like they are growing. Don't be fooled. The brands they buy are washed up (with great potential but do not stand a chance even if they appear to for a moment in time) and they pretend to make something of them for appearance and financial purposes only - when in fact their ideas are very boring and unoriginal. They only listen to each other, promote each other and give raises on a weekly basis and then act like its normal. I have never seen a group of self appointed executives so smug with a delusional/ unwarranted sense of self importance. I was looking around for cameras. You really are not that important - keep telling yourself and each other that. If you don't stand around and clap for these people or pretend to be one of them - you won't last. If you do last there, you have sold your soul to get there. You turn into a bitter person quick because you get stuck and then are mean to everyone that works for or with you because that is how you were treated. If you speak up with an idea, you are silenced.

If you have any respect for yourself or value your career, I would recommend you don't even look twice at this place. Don't learn the hard way. If you are reading this, consider it a sign from above and a gift. Most of the employees when I was there were scared of losing their jobs or saying anything and overworked/unappreciated. You must work around the clock (13-15 hours a day and be accessible at all times) and there is no set structure or feedback in groups, which changes weekly/monthly, and no HR so if you have a complaint or question or issue you are in big trouble.

Advice to Management

Value employees and recognize everyone equally - cultivate and start listening.

Advice to employees: Keep your head down and get out while you can.

"Career Suicide"

I worked at Authentic Brands Group full-time

Pros

If you can stomach sucking up to the right people then you have a chance

Cons

No work life balance. They expect you to work 12 - 15 hours and on weekends and be fine with it. They call you even when you're away on vacation or even when sick. The teams are a hit or miss. Some people are right for the job and are excellent at what they do until they spend a few weeks at this company and transform into the monsters that management expects you to turn into. Some people are washed up folks who couldn't find a better place and management takes advantage of their desperation. there is little support from managers, well what do you expect, they have little support too. there should at least be some form of career advancement and HR but there is nothing of that sort! Those in the inner circle know by heart that its the CEO's way or say goodbye to your job. However, his decisions are often made with SS colored glasses, never mind you're doing something that would be otherwise unwise, unsound or illegal. The atmosphere is that of exclusion, and not inclusion. you'll feel scared of losing your job all the time, no motivation to work and contribute. you'll be made to feel like an outsider oftentimes and the only way to avoid this is to pretend to be one of them. This is a glorified paper pushing company which makes money out of buying dying brands for cheap and wringing whatever life is left out of it. This is not the place to learn and develop skills, this place tends to make you feel worthless, I would get out if you can and don't get in if you have respect for yourself.

Advice to Management

get over yourself and pay attention to your people. you're rude, arrogant

"Germ zone"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than unemployment. You get a day off on your birthday.

Cons

No work-life balance at all. You get ten days of vacation but good luck to you if they let you go take your days. In most cases they will let you go away but then expect you to work (unpaid) overtime and on weekends to make up for it. A former coworker (washed up and old, not the norm at this company) who prides herself on taking out of the country vacations with her family at least once a year couldn't even negotiate more than ten vacation days so she would come in even when sick as a dog, infecting everyone around her. She would rather come in and infect everyone than use her vacation days for a sick day because she has to travel, you know.

Advice to Management

Find more effective, younger talent

"Growing company. Wilting morale."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Authentic Brands Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the negative review for this company are accurate, so I guess you can say that a pro is that everyone is on the same page at least?

Cons

It's really a same, there's true potential in their business model. They have created an in-house brand ownership model that could really maximize resources and improve and revitalize brands. However, bringing life to otherwise dying brands require commitment and financial investment, the thing that is lacking in the higher management. You can't build a successful empire being a penny pincher. What they do instead is push all the weight an responsibility to the companies that manufacture, license, and actually market the brands. It's really a shame how such a great idea is tarnished by poor strategic management.

Advice to Management

Believe in your brands. Believe in your employees.

"Intern"

Pros

Great learning experience. Very helpful people around. Everyone seems to love their job. The work environment is very casual and focused.

Cons

Some inters were paid where as some weren't. Thats really unfair. Very beneficial for you if you have pervious industry connections.

Advice to Management

Be more organized while dealing with staff. Be clear about if you see a future with a candidate, don't be vague.

"Stay away."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Authentic Brands Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome brands. That's the only plus/

Cons

Unhappy employees, high turnover. I can go on and on