Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Author Solutions President Bill Elliott
Bill Elliott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits (healthcare, commission, spiff, outings" (in 11 reviews)

• "Good pay, good hours, good benefits with reasonably priced medical insurance, conveniently located, many restaurants close for lunchtime options" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations" (in 10 reviews)

• "Base pay for sales could be better" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have always found AS a great place to work. If you work hard you are rewarded. That seems very fair to me. Good benefits and fair salary. There are tons of great people at AS!

Cons

Right now the biggest negative is the traffic congestion due to I-69 road construction!

2. "Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

The company is the best in the industry. The newer senior management team truly cares about the success of the team members, as well as the team.

Cons

The daily grind can be daunting at times.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the people and success will continue.

3. "Good with room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good amount of PTO, flexible lunches, best and biggest in the publishing industry

Cons

Same base pay whether someone has been with the company one year or ten years

Advice to Management

Treat employees how you want to be treated. Increase base pay each year an employee is loyal to the company otherwise they feel bad

"A rewarding sales opportunity and uncapped commission"

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with the company almost 10 yrs now and in my experiences I've seen many changes over the years and almost all of them very positive. I've also worked for the company in many different facets from management, to sales, HR and back to sales. I've experienced working out of both offices in Indianapolis and Bloomington so having worked at every aspect I have an appreciation and great gratitude for how we help authors every single day! As a salesperson, we all like to be rewarded with either money, trips, or the occasional pat on the back. AS does a great job at recognizing with the occasional spiff, trip to the Caribbean – Hawaii or a Cruise, or reaping the rewards of a great paycheck after finishing a strong month! At ANY company the number one tell-tale sign if you will succeed or not is showing up to work every day with your game face on, or you won't succeed, period! Author Solutions is a fantastic company with a great vision and it rapidly changes to keep up with the ever evolving world around us. Change is a good thing, if a company doesn’t change with the times it will become extinct and no longer be relevant. I've seen comp plans change, management change, salespeople come and go and for the most part the bad apples weeded themselves out of a job and not the companies fault as most would review about. If you are great at sales, come prepared to work every day and ready to make money with a positive attitude there is NO doubt you will earn a great living. We help author’s dreams come true! If you are looking for a place to come sit on your butt for 8 hours a day, collect a paycheck and do just enough to get by this place probably isn't for you. Like most jobs or life for that matter, you get what you give!

Cons

The occasional Saturday hours, but that goes with the territory of Sales!

Advice to Management

Keep listing to your team and caring, they will take care of you!

5. "Full Time Employee"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great atmosphere

Cons

I really can't think of any

"Just gave sales a pay cut, do not come here."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family life is great. The people you work with are awesome.

Cons

They just reduced our monthly income an average of $1000.00 per sales consultant a month. They lie and sale you on B.S.. This job pays 30-40k on average and they just took $12k from the average sales consultant. Run away as fast as you can, a lot of us are.

Advice to Management

What in the heck were you thinking? I understand that the bottom line is important, but are you willing to lose top performers from this? Don’t think you are a better salesman than us, we see your BS.

"Marketing consultant"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few.. this company was consistantly dishonest. There’s pontential to make money if your willing to give up your intergrity and every waking minute of your life and moral standards.

Cons

ALC:A Losing Company! You won’t find much about this on the site - mainly because it’s a subscription play that doesn’t provide value to clients owned by author solutions which you must sell to avoiding having a large percentage of your commisions deducted each month. The favoritism this company portrays is unethical from all stand points. Management sleeps with Superiors to move higher up within the company. The former CEO knows all to well about this. Leads from management are distributed unfairly and only after they’ve have been throughly investigated. I don’t recall anyone being to proud to use google maps before picking up the phone. After all the bigger the house, the better the lead.. It didn’t take long to catch on to the game. For those of you with a concious, leave this page now the job is NOT for you. Losing sleep after the constant push from superiors to set false expectations for authors. Striving to reach a quota that’s subject to change depending on the “company’s financial needs.” Did I mention Saturday’s? You will be told ocassional overtime is necessary.. by that they mean any Saturday the teams behind track to hit their number. This is not optional no matter how well you’re on track as an individual and you can be told to make yourself available as little as one day in advance. Several complaints have been made to the BBB with little result because they’re constantly being taken over by new owners. In short, RUN the other way.

Advice to Management

Change

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive and helpful management. Ability to work from home which was super nice, but did not outweigh the cons.

Cons

Everything else. Terrible pay not even enough to cover basic living expenses. It was positioned as a job where you can make 6 figures. Upset that I left a quality position making good money because I felt I was mislead in the interview process regarding pay and potential. While a very very small group makes decent money, it takes a long time to get there and they're given significantly more leads than others making it impossible to catch up. They're given a group of leads you don't even have the chance of getting. Favoritism was very evident. While many reviews say they updated their lead system I found they to be very untrue. Reps would move leads out of their name they they felt were a waste of time. When brought up it was said that's how this or that rep is. That's unnaceptable. My first team outing all the reps complained how poor things were and it made it very uncomfortable for anyone new coming in. The product works for an extremely small portion of authors and it wasn't enough that I wanted to sell it to others. In sales you have to believe in the service to be successful and I just couldn't get onboard. Unfortunately, this was not the position for me. May be good for a young kid or someone brand new to sales.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales team good money and they will perform accordingly. If it truly takes 6mos-1yr to "ramp" up then you need to pay new sales reps more in that time period or they will never stick around long enough to be a quality rep leading to high turnover which will cost more in the long run. Quit it with the overtime for sales. Good sales staff shouldn't need to work Saturdays to hit their quota. All that does is make your reps sour and work less during the last week of the month because they know they're forced to work that last Saturday. Make it optional. The perk of sales is that your as good as you want to be. Forcing reps to work so much overtime the last week of the month doesn't actually result in better performance. Encourage them to work hard earlier in the month instead. Get a trainer who has real sales experience. There is no sales training only training on the product, which is fine if it wasn't a difficult product to sell (due to not being able to provide data on success rates). Be open and honest with your teams.

"It depends where you are..."

I worked at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Each department seems to have vastly different management approaches and rules. Editorial was amazing. It's a great group to work within, and the manager is extremely open and flexible. HR makes a decent effort at putting on different events and contests, and the Production department as a whole tries to motivate its employees with monthly recognition, free meals at the end of the month, team building activities outside of work, and more. Overall, I felt like my work was recognized and my contributions were valued.

Cons

You will not be paid what your worth. Sometimes the things HR does will feel like they're distracting you from the fact that you will not be paid what you're worth. Raises are infrequent and insignificant. The monetary bonuses production employees get compared to sales employees is offensive. This brings down the attitude of my employees at the company -- if you aren't getting paid what you're worth, why should you work with full productivity? In return, you'll end up with a lot of fellow employees who are jaded and complain often. Most of their complaints are absolutely warranted, but it does take an emotional toll when you try to stay positive in the midst of a lot of negativity.

Advice to Management

Follow the management style of editorial. We are productive and happy, and we typically don't dread coming to work every day. I was shocked when I heard about how some departments don't have proper training, have their computers surveilled, have their outgoing emails read by management, etc. Please don't do this.

10. "Work Hard"