Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Author Solutions Senior Vice President, Marketing Keith Ogorek
Keith Ogorek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations (in 10 reviews)

• I think they have sense started revitalization, but when I was there, it was not the most updated work environment (in 4 reviews)

1. "I need more stars to give! Work here!"

Current Employee - MDC in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - MDC in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best place I have ever worked hands down. They treat the employees lie people and it is an actual Joy to to come to work each day. The best benefits I have seen at any job with cheap high quality health, Vision, and Dental that you don't have to wait a year for like most Places.

Cons

Can't find any Cons to speak of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Unethical, terrible pay and very expensive benefits--avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good publishing industry experience. Nice renovated office space.

Cons

Terrible pay, expensive and mediocre insurance, poorly treated employees, apparently gives fake employee reviews (under no circumstances is this a five-star employer). Some employees can get away with coming into work drunk every Monday (or Tuesday, because they couldn't make it in on Monday), while others get reprimanded for looking the wrong way. Much depends on your manager. But in my experience, management was condescending and treated professional, educated people like children. Issues never got resolved, so it was a miserable place to work. The pay is fine if you're right out of college and don't mind having a roomie. You cannot survive on the pay otherwise. They seem unable to do anything to increase employee morale. All management does is take away anything positive, especially since Penguin Random House sold the company to an investment company (which promptly laid off a third of the employees in Bloomington and significantly increased cost of insurance and removed 401k matching. In effect, employees took a significant pay cut on already poor pay. And they're forcing employees to clock in and out exactly on the hour (removing a minor perk). The only remotely positive thing here is experience.

Advice to Management

Try to be more considerate of employee morale and well-being. Being miserable on top of decreased pay is not fun. Be more honest. The obviously fake reviews here won't help your reputation. You know there's a problem if your managers need to work second jobs to get by.

3. "current management details"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are able to gain work experience

Cons

Nepotism is used most often in determining promotions, bonuses and pay increases. Best business practices are rarely used. To update Readers of Glassdoor regarding the current management at AuthorSolutions, here is some information. The company is now owned by Najafi Companies ....Key Executives For Najafi Companies
    Mr. Jahm J. Najafi
    Mr. Daniel T. Shum
    Partner - Daniel is the current CEO on site in Bloomington for Author Solutions
    Mr. Paul Parent
    Senior Vice President
    Keith Ogorek is the ‎Marketing Director at Author Solutions. Billy Elliott - Director of Finance at Author Solutions, LLC

"Coworkers were great."

Former Employee - Production in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Production in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful. We were a team. We knew our survival in the company- not just as employees, but as a department- meant a good performance, and we helped each other achieve that. There was good autonomy without micromanagement. You could advance within the company, and it was encouraged to apply for promotions. Rarely was there not food of some kind on Fridays, which was nice.

Cons

Your job was always under threat. Almost everything was outsourced to the Philippines years ago. Many departments are in the US as placeholders to show off to expensive authors or potential corporate suitors. Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations. HR was a nightmare, and benefits packages (including health insurance) changed about twice a year for several years. The gap between Sales and Production is intense. Sales would make impossible promises to make their quota, leaving Production to break it to authors that some things just aren't possible. The company would spend thousands catering meals for Sales, while the talent and hard work in Production never got recognition.

Advice to Management

Give the remaining US employees reason to value themselves. They know they're being outsourced. Let it happen and close the doors, or fight for those who remain.

"GREEDY owners/Terrible work Environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking, coffee. Sundays off!

Cons

GREED, owners care about themselves only. Proof = no 401k matching. CEO is owner, not the guy on Glassdoor. Cowardly and won't use his name/photo due to negative press. Good reviews written are by HR, not real employees, company is embarrassed by too many neg reviews. Clients hate us and refund. Look at ripoffreport.com, writersbeware.com, writers weekly.com, huffingtonpost.com, etc. Many peers looking to get out, terrible place to work.Threatening work environment, owner motivates by fear. Author Learning Center is a joke, authors signing up under pressure and leaving, no commissions paid worth our while.

Advice to Management

You should fire yourselves as it's an embarrassment to work with you. Hire a real CFO and CEO. Former sales leader cared and motivated us, we wanted to work for him, not owner. Negative press on us is terrible, nothing being done to support us.

6. "Life Changing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at ASI for over three years as a publishing consultant, and it's been trying at times working in sales, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else in this world. Sales in general can be hard. However, this company has helped me out when I've reached rough patches in the road, has helped me succeed within my career, and recognizes all of my accomplishments. I consider my co-workers and employers to be family. That's very rare to come by. The company has made some great changes to improve their operations and services, but all to benefit authors and also their employees. I continue to see great things ahead for Author Solutions.

Cons

Stressful at times, so it's not a job for everyone. The company has started up a wellness program to assist with coping stress effectively, and offers special incentives, gym memberships and yoga.

Advice to Management

No need to fix what's not broken. I'm pleased with my director who doesn't micromanage and challenges me to be better than yesterday.

"Not A Vocation Stop"

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry to be in. Fantastic, Hardworking Co-Workers

Cons

Clients lose after signing up to publish. They are not served well. Processes prevent consultants from serving their clients well. Tight, unreasonable metrics driven environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to frontline feedback, more than just a few perspectives.

8. "Fulfilling, Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many pros to working here -
    - The type of work you're doing is fulfilling..you're able to come alongside authors to help make their dreams of publishing a book come true
    - It is not a boring job..you're talking to a wide variety of clients
    - There's a great office culture and the individual teams tend to be very close
    - We're an innovative company that has made changes throughout the years as needed to stay at the top of our industry..it's good to be #1
    - We have some of the most talented members on our team - from the illustrators to the graphic designers, trainers, and consultants who speak with the authors
    - There are good partnerships throughout our industry - from Hollywood to traditional Publishing Companies
    - We're a global company with a local feel
    - We're growing and expanding our workforce
    - Our employees are passionate about what they do
    - Each department is working on how to best acknowledge and reward it's employees
    - There is a strong practice of promoting from within..leading to career path options
    - There are new company-wide training initiatives in place for 2017 to help prepare and better equip all employees
    - There are fun get-togethers such as Halloween costume contest
    - There are local lunch vendors who come onto campus to serve employees throughout the week
    - The Executive Chairman is present and involved..even having round table lunches with employees
    - The future is very bright..the current owners have a strong vision and are comfortable taking risks and investing in the organiztion to achieve advancement

Cons

Communication between departments has led to frustrations, however I know there are programs in place for 2017 to help turn this around.

Advice to Management

Your positivity is contagious. Motivation and encouragement will take your teams far. Collaboration and proactive communication throughout your department and others will help improve processes and productivity.

9. "The Future Looks Like WINNING"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The new ownership is clearly investing in building a winning team to provide exceptional service to our consumers. They are bought in completely to the continued and future success of our company. It is great to be part of a winning team!

Cons

Every company needs to place continued efforts in communication practices and transparency.

Advice to Management

Never settle for Mediocrity!

10. "Love the people I work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Author Solutions has some of the most talented and passionate employees. I love working with all of my co-workers here. Even on days when the work is frustrating, the people make you keep wanting to come back.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the last 4 years but overall the company continues to come out on top despite it's challenges. In the last year, the company has gotten back to it's innovative and creative ways.

Advice to Management

Find ways to encourage your employees despite the changes and limitations you're facing. The more your employees feel invested in, the more likely they will stay.