Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Author Solutions CEO Mitch Black
Mitch Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations (in 10 reviews)

• Poor management that verges on the incompetent (in 4 reviews)

1. "High earning potential"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For sales, you have a lot of opportunity to do well in your profession; high earning potential;

Cons

Pressure for sales; poor management communication; not much time off; lots of work; for hard working people;

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect, not like minions, and don't assume that they don't want the same thing as you do. Their success is your success, is the companies success.

Feb 15, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for the post. I agree we must promote mutual respect. What is good for individual employee is good for the company.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales opportunity, freedom of schedule (if you are disciplined), I love books so this works perfectly for me. The best team you can ask for - more people here enjoy what they do compared to so many other places I've witnessed, it's excellent overall, if you are self-motivated.

Cons

Bloomington isn't a big place and many people interested in sales positions with ASI have a long commute.

Feb 15, 2018 – CEO

I appreciate the post. We are continuing to develop better training, support and other options for our non-Bloomington/remote employees that could minimize long commutes. We are also developing... More

3. "great environment"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Very friendly co-workers and supervisors. No back-stabbing and very non-toxic for such an intense sales-driven group

Cons

it takes a while to "ramp up" as a sales rep due to product knowledge ect Lots of old customers need to have products and services re-explained to them and this interferes with a new rep's ability to sell-sell-sell

Advice to Management

great products/services but former customers are dissatisfied because they simply don't understand some of the products/services. climbing through these old accounts can slow one down

Feb 15, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the advice. Improving our author experience is one of our primary goals in the 2018 plan. This is both where training throughout the organization and new technology additions will assist... More

4. "Remote Consultant US"

Former Employee - Remote Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Remote Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working remote. Good income potential. The available days off and ways to make up hours are great. Training okay. CEO is trying, but there are forces higher than him.

Cons

Always micromanaged to the point where you are scared to even breathe. Management is very “clicky” with their buddies and if you don’t submit to their tyrant ways of thinking they get rid of you no matter how good you are. I quit because you can see the favoritism.

Advice to Management

Please give everyone the same chances. You have some good people there. I would start all over on the performance write ups and have everyone start from new. I think the moral will really change if you do that. A new start for all.

Feb 15, 2018 – CEO

I am sorry your employment experience was not positive with Author Solutions. I recently responded to another posts about respect which is paramount to success. One area that will assist on... More

5. "Potential for $$$"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Pros: Money, locations, co-workers, flexible

Cons

Cons: stress, micromanage, no advancement opportunity

Jan 15, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for the post. I am not sure of the department where you worked, but some of these are areas we also identified in our employee survey at year end. We are developing plans to continually... More

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to earn commissions, bonuses, trips, etc.
    This place has the highest earning potential in our area (for top performers).

Cons

There are some evening and weekend hours. This job is not well suited for those with little drive or desire to work diligently for their money.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business!

Jan 16, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for the post. I agree on your advice!

7. "Great Opportunities and Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always opportunities to move up and have new challenges within the company. Great people and always someone willing to help. It's fulfilling to get the chance to help people fulfill their dreams and get them published.

Cons

Not the most flexible hours. Raises are not based on performance. Teams do not always work well together (communication between departments needs to improve)

Advice to Management

Invest more in performance-based pay increases.

Dec 24, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the note. I agree we need to do as better job on communication. This a key objective of our newly formed EEC (employee engagement committee).

"Worst job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing other than being remote.

Cons

The whole place is a scam. They lie to you, to get you in the door as an employee, make big promises, and don't follow through. It's almost impossible to bonus, so you make the HORRIBLE salary they will NOT increase. Only way to bonus is if you're best friends with management and get cherry picked leads. I wouldn't refer my worst enemy to work here. Trust me, there is a reason they are ALWAYS hiring. High turnover....because it's a horrible place to work. No money here, unrealistic expectations, etc.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism. Sales will never increase as long as you keep feeding the same handful of reps while allowing a revolving door of newer employees. Make in an even playing field, if the "tenured" reps are so good, why can they get the leads everyone else receives? Stop lying and selling the dream to people, be realistic about what they'll make their first year. How many make over 40k??? Stop lying to customers too.

Dec 6, 2017 – CEO

I am sorry you are having a bad employment experience. I have discussed openly my intent on improving our employee and customer experience and have maintained an open-door policy for feedback. As a... More

"Senior Publishing Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee-centric company. I've been with ASI for 3+ years and the job is great. I was hesitant at first as this was a different side of publishing for me, but I'm glad I took the opportunity! Tremendous management from the top down. Nikki Osbun, Rich VanLue and others have helped mold me to the success I desire. And in turn I am happy to serve an industry leader!
    -flexible hours
    -great compensation
    -fun environment
    -if you like excitement and are personally driven to success, this is an amazing place.
    -plenty of room and encouragement to grow and succeed

Cons

-Not the place to be if you don't hold yourself to a high standard and are not focused on providing the best service
    -Occasionally being customer facing can wear on you - so you need to be able to refresh yourself

"Wonderful place to work, great manager, great employees..."

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, flex schedule, great commission once goals are met

Cons

As with any job, there will be concerns, but most are addressed and worked out in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

need quality leads, not quantity

Dec 6, 2017 – CEO

Thanks. Your advice is one subject at the top of my list.