Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Mitch Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations (in 10 reviews)

• I think they have sense started revitalization, but when I was there, it was not the most updated work environment (in 4 reviews)

1. "Senior Publishing Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee-centric company. I've been with ASI for 3+ years and the job is great. I was hesitant at first as this was a different side of publishing for me, but I'm glad I took the opportunity! Tremendous management from the top down. Nikki Osbun, Rich VanLue and others have helped mold me to the success I desire. And in turn I am happy to serve an industry leader!
    -flexible hours
    -great compensation
    -fun environment
    -if you like excitement and are personally driven to success, this is an amazing place.
    -plenty of room and encouragement to grow and succeed

Cons

-Not the place to be if you don't hold yourself to a high standard and are not focused on providing the best service
    -Occasionally being customer facing can wear on you - so you need to be able to refresh yourself

2. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Great company - Great customers- Great friendships- the benefits are competitive and the company is growing. Work from home

Cons

Sales job- commission based, you need to work to make money here. Some long hours at end of the month

3. "Wonderful place to work, great manager, great employees..."

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, flex schedule, great commission once goals are met

Cons

As with any job, there will be concerns, but most are addressed and worked out in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

need quality leads, not quantity

4. "No money here! Good sales people- stay away!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consulting in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consulting in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home.

Cons

Lied about commissions. You make $11.50 per hour salary plus commission. Commission only STARTS after you sell $19,000 in revenue and you do NOT get paid on the first $19,000. ie you sell $22,000, you only get paid on $3,000 at 6% ($180) And most people do not hit $25,000 each month.
    Leads are awful. This is a luxury product that costs a minimum of $2,000 which most people you talk to do not have. You get maybe 3 leads a day, at least 2 have not written a book and therefore have no reason to buy and the 3rd freaks out at $2,000 price tag.
    You compete for the same lead with other people in the office. Author Solutions runs many brands like Westbow, Archway, Trafford, iUniverse, Xlibris, etc. They all offer the SAME services by the SAME people, but have different pricing structures.
    Awful manager, talks bad about other reps to reps, no coaching, wrote an email that complained about people emailing her thank you messages because it "creates more work" for her to read a thank you message (I cannot even make that up).
    Lied about hours worked. I was told this was a 40 hours/ week. Then on board told there was mandatory overtime the last week of the month every day that week and mandatory last Saturday of the month.

Advice to Management

Coach and train the managers. You are losing the best sales people with the attitude of a certain manager.

5. "Glorified sales position with a fancy title"

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nights and weekends off, insurance, long lunch

Cons

Where to begin? Pay, pressure to meet call times/goals with no new leads. Competitive among employees, so friendships can be difficult to make. Felt like everyone was more "frenemies" than anything. My manager was great, but there was only so much he could do for us, based on company standards. Somewhat relaxed environment, but questionable ethics and pressure to perform made it stressful.

Advice to Management

Higher ups need to listen to employees. Concerns are valid. Turnover rate sucks for a reason.

6. "Unethical"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't use their healthcare plan but other people took advantage and liked it. Pretty flexible schedule in that you could take a longer lunch break and make up for it at the end of the day.

Cons

You literally feel like you are robbing people. The customer satisfaction is terrible so you are constantly talking to people that are mad at the company. The call expectation is 80 calls a day and 3 hours of talk time.

Advice to Management

Make sure the fulfillment departments actually fulfill the orders that the customer has bought and paid for. Make it easier for the customer to approve their services and know what they should be getting. A customer should be able to approve user agreements over the phone.

7. "The worst place"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't too many. Acrued vacation time due to all the overtime worked.

Cons

Anyone that works there is a number. Even those that have been at the company for many years have said this. Co-workers have often mentioned feeling like cattle. There is zero company culture and managers very obviously play favorites (hence the reason they say they don't out loud). The turnover is extremely high and a joke to others. It's not surprising that people that continue to work here are uninteresting and have settled. Author Solutions expects anyone that works here to make the company their life. Maybe that's why half the people there are divorced. It's not long before all employees are replaced by people in Cebu and robots. This will be a benefit for everyone.

8. "Great"

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment
    great people

Cons

constantly changing
    gaining more and more competitors

"Role of a Publishing Consultant"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

gained experience using salesforce, working in a team environment

Cons

AuthorSolutions was a former subsidiary of Random House. In March 2016 the firm was acquired by Najafi Companies. The new ownership promptly cut the hourly pay by $4 per hour. The base pay went from $15.41/hour to $11.41 per hour. The commission plan was recently modified so that reps are poorly compensated. The minimum expectation is $12,000. Publishing Consultants earn 6% from $12,000.00 to $17,999.00 which amounts to $359.94. The employee earns 8.5% on sales $18,000 +. However this is also on the difference. So if an employee sells $25,000 they earn $359.94 on the 6% and $595 total on the$7000 difference between $18,000 and $25,000. This amounts to $954.94 in commission. However if call metrics are not maintained or the sales rep does not sign up at least 20 Author Learning Center subscriptions, commission will be docked as much as 15%.Tenured reps are estimating a $30,000 loss in pay annually.

Additionally if an author refunds on the services purchased, the sales consultant is penalized. For example if an author refunds on an $8000 package they automatically forfeit 10% of the purchase price or $800. So while the company is making $800 the sales rep is left essentially left in an $8000 hole they have to climb out of.

There are many moving parts to what we do as publishing consultants. Once the author purchases a package they still have to go through production, work with a marketing consultant, and publish their work. There are numerous points where the author may become scared or annoyed with their marketing consultant and decide to refund.

Perhaps the biggest concern from a sales perspective is a complete lack of new leads. New leads have been stagnant for months. Without new leads it is difficult to maintain quota on a consistent basis. Management declares mandatory overtime in a scramble to try and hit their number, while the reps are left working extended hours for very little compensation. There is no balance and poor communication with management.

The firm is offering incentive to new hires such as $1000 commission for the first 3 months regardless of sales. Don't fall for it. Where is this money coming from and if the firm can afford these types of incentives surely they can afford to compensate their tenured employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate with you employees, compensate your employees, and reward your tenured reps. There are so many moving parts to what we do as publishing consultants and if you continue to lose your tenured reps, you will be left with inexperienced sales individuals who are completely lost. This will ultimately result in low employee retention which is bad for business.

"Keith Ogorek has never been the CEO of Author Solutions"

Current Employee - Sales in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The commissions and bonuses for sales and marketing is much better than anywhere else in the Bloomington area.

Cons

The CEO, Daniel Shum runs a ship of fear. Fires qualified individuals for poor performance and hires underqualified employees. Health Benefits are equal to National Health Care System. Very expensive United Health Care. 401K offered but company does not match. Keith Ogorek has never been the CEO of Author Solutions

Advice to Management

Unfortunately management has no voice.