Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Mitch Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations (in 10 reviews)

• I think they have sense started revitalization, but when I was there, it was not the most updated work environment (in 4 reviews)

"Senior Publishing Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee-centric company. I've been with ASI for 3+ years and the job is great. I was hesitant at first as this was a different side of publishing for me, but I'm glad I took the opportunity! Tremendous management from the top down. Nikki Osbun, Rich VanLue and others have helped mold me to the success I desire. And in turn I am happy to serve an industry leader!
    -flexible hours
    -great compensation
    -fun environment
    -if you like excitement and are personally driven to success, this is an amazing place.
    -plenty of room and encouragement to grow and succeed

Cons

-Not the place to be if you don't hold yourself to a high standard and are not focused on providing the best service
    -Occasionally being customer facing can wear on you - so you need to be able to refresh yourself

"CEO is trying. Been here 1 year and no changes yet."

Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, lunch, OT, family life. Could be a great place with the right leaders in place. Commission good when you get good leads

Cons

Everyday you walk in to negativity. The managers are on edge because of sales goals. Good ole boys club makes you feel unwanted. Good leads are favored for a few.

Advice to Management

Please stop feeding leads to your friends and spread them out more evenly. KV

"Worst job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing other than being remote.

Cons

The whole place is a scam. They lie to you, to get you in the door as an employee, make big promises, and don't follow through. It's almost impossible to bonus, so you make the HORRIBLE salary they will NOT increase. Only way to bonus is if you're best friends with management and get cherry picked leads. I wouldn't refer my worst enemy to work here. Trust me, there is a reason they are ALWAYS hiring. High turnover....because it's a horrible place to work. No money here, unrealistic expectations, etc.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism. Sales will never increase as long as you keep feeding the same handful of reps while allowing a revolving door of newer employees. Make in an even playing field, if the "tenured" reps are so good, why can they get the leads everyone else receives? Stop lying and selling the dream to people, be realistic about what they'll make their first year. How many make over 40k??? Stop lying to customers too.

"Wonderful place to work, great manager, great employees..."

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, flex schedule, great commission once goals are met

Cons

As with any job, there will be concerns, but most are addressed and worked out in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

need quality leads, not quantity

5. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Great company - Great customers- Great friendships- the benefits are competitive and the company is growing. Work from home

Cons

Sales job- commission based, you need to work to make money here. Some long hours at end of the month

6. "unethical company"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

autonomy in terms of when you go to lunch and making your time up if you take a long lunch

Cons

This company does not take care of their customers, and if you have any sort of morals at all you will feel like you are taking advantage of customers and expected to lie to them.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your authors.

"No money here! Good sales people- stay away!!!"

Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consulting in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Remote Publishing Consulting in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home.

Cons

Lied about commissions. You make $11.50 per hour salary plus commission. Commission only STARTS after you sell $19,000 in revenue and you do NOT get paid on the first $19,000. ie you sell $22,000, you only get paid on $3,000 at 6% ($180) And most people do not hit $25,000 each month.
    Leads are awful. This is a luxury product that costs a minimum of $2,000 which most people you talk to do not have. You get maybe 3 leads a day, at least 2 have not written a book and therefore have no reason to buy and the 3rd freaks out at $2,000 price tag.
    You compete for the same lead with other people in the office. Author Solutions runs many brands like Westbow, Archway, Trafford, iUniverse, Xlibris, etc. They all offer the SAME services by the SAME people, but have different pricing structures.
    Awful manager, talks bad about other reps to reps, no coaching, wrote an email that complained about people emailing her thank you messages because it "creates more work" for her to read a thank you message (I cannot even make that up).
    Lied about hours worked. I was told this was a 40 hours/ week. Then on board told there was mandatory overtime the last week of the month every day that week and mandatory last Saturday of the month.

Advice to Management

Coach and train the managers. You are losing the best sales people with the attitude of a certain manager.

"Glorified sales position with a fancy title"

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nights and weekends off, insurance, long lunch

Cons

Where to begin? Pay, pressure to meet call times/goals with no new leads. Competitive among employees, so friendships can be difficult to make. Felt like everyone was more "frenemies" than anything. My manager was great, but there was only so much he could do for us, based on company standards. Somewhat relaxed environment, but questionable ethics and pressure to perform made it stressful.

Advice to Management

Higher ups need to listen to employees. Concerns are valid. Turnover rate sucks for a reason.

"The worst place"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't too many. Acrued vacation time due to all the overtime worked.

Cons

Anyone that works there is a number. Even those that have been at the company for many years have said this. Co-workers have often mentioned feeling like cattle. There is zero company culture and managers very obviously play favorites (hence the reason they say they don't out loud). The turnover is extremely high and a joke to others. It's not surprising that people that continue to work here are uninteresting and have settled. Author Solutions expects anyone that works here to make the company their life. Maybe that's why half the people there are divorced. It's not long before all employees are replaced by people in Cebu and robots. This will be a benefit for everyone.

10. "Great"

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment
    great people

Cons

constantly changing
    gaining more and more competitors