Author Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Author Solutions President Bill Elliot
Bill Elliot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits (healthcare, commission, spiff, outings" (in 11 reviews)

• "Good pay, good hours, good benefits with reasonably priced medical insurance, conveniently located, many restaurants close for lunchtime options" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management changed constantly, as did the job descriptions and expectations" (in 10 reviews)

• "Poor management that verges on the incompetent" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have always found AS a great place to work. If you work hard you are rewarded. That seems very fair to me. Good benefits and fair salary. There are tons of great people at AS!

Cons

Right now the biggest negative is the traffic congestion due to I-69 road construction!

2. "New CEO - improving culture and community reputation"

Pros

Great work-life balance. New CEO very engaged with employees and working to improve the culture and community involvement. Solid benefits with competitive compensation and PTO.

Cons

Sales culture highly competitive (but what sales culture isn't)

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and engage employees on improving work-life balance and increase presence in the Bloomington community

Author Solutions Response

Mar 27, 2018 – CEO

I agree with your advice. In our organization employees have different roles and those with the same role may work in different ways. It's an interesting challenge to ensure we provide our employees... More

"Sales Representative"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

May be able to work from home.

Cons

Poor compensation package with incredible pressure to meet metrics, which are constantly being raised. Stress and turnover rate are both incredibly high throughout the organization.

"Transparency"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lunch and what the company does is significant in publishing

Cons

Team leaders given privileges that allow their work to be secret and hidden. The reason for this is they take other team members authors. Almost everyone on teams has seen this happen first hand and it will not change because managers want to keep those that whine quiet.

It is immoral and brings up the question of how many authors these certain team members have stolen from everyone. There is no good reason for certain individuals closings to not be transparent when everyone else's are

Advice to Management

Don't let some team members sell multiple imprints and others only one imprint . Favoritism

5. "Company being run like a frat house"

Current Employee - Sales in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money, time off, other colleagues.

Cons

Run by a bunch of immature bratty kids that run the place like their own frat house. Management sleeping and flirting with the employees. There are no morals or values anymore here.

Advice to Management

Hire mature experienced people to run the company. You hired executive management team that plays around too much and gets on everyone’s nerves but the people in their little circle. You guys need to grow up and stop playing around so much. You are the leaders so at like it.

6. "Going out of Business"

I worked at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

You can bet that the featured review 'Hard Work Pays Off' was written by someone from management or HR!

Cons

Managers in EVERY department play obvious favorites. New employees are treated like outsiders. If the favorites don't like you, you will be gone in no time (and HR won't do a thing!) The result is that a few selfish people have built a system that works for them, and no one else!

Advice to Management

Your competition is all better, faster and cheaper than you are. Lower your prices. Pay royalties. Fire your leadership team: they are the ones who got you in the mess you are in! Focus on service to authors and not on sales. Otherwise, you are going out of business ... and soon!

"SO man unhappy employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great time off structure, great coworkers, relaxed dress code.

Cons

High stress/High Pressure company. Only those willing to sacrifice their family and home life succeed. Employees are highly undervalued and expected to do the job of 2 or 3 with no incentive. Lots of rumors of inappropriate relationships among management and employees.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You don't need an expert to tell you why your employees are leaving. Management is running them off with high pressure tactics and retaliation for anyone attempting to have a normal work/life balance. It's a sad situation because this company used to be great.

"Undervalued employees"

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off is great but they make you feel bad using it when they are stressed

Cons

No increase in salary or promotions, base is embarrassingly low. You should compensate for employees who have been loyal and work hard for you. It might be amazing to see how that helps the company and retention in return

Advice to Management

Be honest and do not be so fake/secretive/sneaky

"Unl;ess you like calling fossilized leads, forget this place"

Former Employee - Book Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Book Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and trainers were all super nice, friendly, and helpful. Great co-workers. Free snacks.

Cons

Outbound sales sucks no matter how you dress it up.

Advice to Management

Don't give your new book consultants 5+ year old leads and expect them to make goals.

Author Solutions Response

Apr 25, 2018 – CEO

The basis of our book sales process is our consultants make outbound calls to a captive author base that has purchased publishing services. Both new and exiting authors. I am sorry your experience... More

"TAKE BLACK OFF OF CEO... ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST."

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None... the most risk potential company I have ever worked for. Thieves. My advice to authors and potential employees... RUN. We are taught to sell things that never work for authors. It’s a scam.

Cons

Sell your integrity. But hey vets make money.... the author makes nothing. Disgusting the deceit of people telling the authors “you have to use this or you will get nowhere.” Some spend 50k and get nowhere... hire a publicist that really works for you. We are just here to scam you and make a buck. Management is always getting fired after the end of the month special” that inceidently you can get anytime... they just need their numbers... oh and Glassdoor take the “new CEO” off your list.... they fired him too. Managers and CEOS ARE A REVOLVING DOOR AND ONLY THE UNICORN LASTS A YEAR. For the ladies... if you want to move up in this company be prepared “me too.”

Advice to Management

Nice knowing you.