Autism Society of NC Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very good"

Former Employee - Habilitation Technician in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Habilitation Technician in Asheville, NC

I worked at Autism Society of NC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management staff and a functional organization

Cons

Choice of clients and shifts is not very high, nor are real career opportunities readily available.

Advice to Management

None, really, other than to fight for greater market share

2. "Missing The Forest for Trees"

I worked at Autism Society of NC full-time

Pros

Individuals and Families Receiving Services

Cons

Lack of skills in key management positions. Lack of people skills in key management positions in a human services organization. Lack of interest in local communities. Focus on raising money instead of providing quality services.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from staff doing the work and use it to improve services to persons with Autism and to improve processes for staff training and retention.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Autism Support Professional in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Autism Support Professional in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Autism Society of NC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ASNC is a great place to work. You don't have to worry about your supervisors looking over your shoulders all the time because they entrust that you will do your job. Also the pay is great once you get in.

Cons

If you dont have a vehicle its going to be hard to work at ASNC.

Advice to Management

None

4. "Fine part time job"

Pros

Love the kids and the families I work with

Cons

Pay isn't great. Communication issues with previous supervisors.

"I can't help you with your troubles, if you won't help with mine."

Former Employee - Professional Ninja Trainer in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Professional Ninja Trainer in Asheville, NC

I worked at Autism Society of NC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ASNC has a good reputation in the community, but that has been declining quickly. Most families have terminated services due to Management turnover. Best advice : Just "pass" the participant on the goals and draw no attention from management. Ask no questions, they will tell you no lies. Participants who wanted to actually work their goals were appreciated. Supportive families who recognize quality services were always appreciated as well.

Cons

Poor management. I went through 3 CEOs and 5 Qualified Professionals in less than 3 years. Most of the good hearted people have dissolved their roles at ASNC. I was hired on for $15, took a "voluntary" paycut, and the latest training class was hired at $8. Obviously, they just want "warm bodies" to babysit while the company draws over $40/hour from Medicaid. They don't care about quality and consistency of services anymore. Just "pass" the participant on the goals and draw no attention from management.

Advice to Management

Keep it ethical. Make sure no one has conflicts of interest. Do not let supported employers exploit the participants. Recognize hard work and dedication. One does not get better rewarded from doing a superior job, than sitting on a couch for 6 hours. Hire CEOs that have a Management background in Non-profits. Social Workers have no training on Planning, Organizing, Leading, and Controlling an organization.

6. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Autism Society of NC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great family to work with in Greenville. Set schedule which makes it great for work/school balance. Everyone is very nice and welcoming

Cons

Not much bad to say. Better communication between skills instructors and office.

7. "Really great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Autism Society of NC (More than a year)

Pros

Work on goals with individuals, this could vary based on the individual. Got to experience a different way of seeing the world.

Cons

Not many other than sometimes scheduling could get thrown off.

8. "Excellent!"

Pros

Great company culture and mission.

Cons

No cons to note at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Entry level position"

Pros

Can be a rewarding job, offers opportunities to bond with those with autism and develop friendships.

Cons

inconsistent hours, poor communication from management, low pay, little room for career advancement

"Poor Pay & Horrible Benefits"

Former Employee - Client Services in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Client Services in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Autism Society of NC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule - that's about it.

Cons

The compensation and salary are below average for nonprofits. I never got a raise in 4 years, and when I finally did I was still paid undermarker and they took away my comp time so I didn't come out ahead. I wish I had left sooner but I didn't want to leave the clients hanging, I knew things would fall apart for them after I left. The parents still call me instead of their assigned client services rep they are so frustrated.

They lowered my car allowance which was already below the IRS amount. The health insurance sucks, it's basically a high deductible plan. It took a year for me to get a personal email address, I had to give clients my personal email. I never got cards with my name on it, I had to write my name on the generic cards every time I handed it out.

They are mismanaged and things are a mess. They don't care if you work 7 days a week. I had to help clients on evenings and weekends every week and never got comp time or over time. I paid for things out of my pocket for clients and should have been reimbursed, but they could never get their act together to get me the money.

The paperwork is overwhelming and cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Clean house from the CFO on down and start over. Pay your employees market rate and get a decent health insurance plan. So many of management are not qualified, they don't have the skills to get things done or properly train people. The parent's of client complain and it falls on deaf ears.