Autism Spectrum Therapies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Justin Funches

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You also get to see the progress children make every day and truly make a difference (in 9 reviews)

• I have worked for several agencies in the field of ABA over the last 13 years and I can honestly say that AST is the best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't feel like there's much of a work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Full time schedule not always available (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Clinical Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Clinical Director

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at AST for almost 10 years. AST has given me many opportunities for growth within the company. They strive to promote from within and develop current staff. The staff are wonderful to work with, I look forward to going in to work to be able to collaborate with motivated individuals. The services we provide families are unparalleled. Each program is individualized to the client and you can see the meaningful impact in the individual and family. As an organization there is a consistent evaluation of current practices, and improvements are made as needed. In the last few years I have observed a push to constantly improve the opportunities provided to staff and services provided to client, Including the introduction of a 3 tier model.

Cons

I don't really see any cons about AST, however, as they say the only constant is change, and people who have a difficult time being flexible and adapting to changes may see this as a con. I think it is important to note however that flexibility is extremely important in the field of ABA and it's impressive to see an organization that is applying ABA not only to their clients but to themselves.

2. "Human Resources Coordinator"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great place to work. The staff is very nice and helpful.

Cons

Doesn't really have any disadvantages for the employers

3. "Excellent job to begin a career in ABA"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time

Pros

Supervisors are very involved.
    Support within the field.

Cons

Not enough hours provided.
    Seems difficult to be added on to another case.

4. "Great ABA experience"

Former Employee - Registered Behavior Technician in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Registered Behavior Technician in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the knowledgeable and helpful BCBA supervisors, good pay

Cons

unpaid vacation days for full time employees

Advice to Management

Paid vacation days

5. "Behavior Interventionist- Good Experience very Tedious, Lots of Travel/ Waiting around"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Gabriel, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Gabriel, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn about Applied Behavior Analysis ( ABA) and use it in practice, as well as the methodology behind special education. Really is something which i think has made me a better educator overall. You can work at a variety of different public or private schools. You meet some excellent autism technicians who are very creative at doing their job. Well worth the experience will you make you a more patient person.

Cons

Lots of travel time, At least 2 hours of your day will be driving to and from clients' school or home. Though there is reimbursement involved it is based on mileage rather than time. A lot of parents prefer autism therapy to be done in the evenings so working nights is very common. Clients parents are generally pretty polite however they can be particular with regards to the program you run with their child. Most parents are committed to teaching their children adaptive behavior and will often support you as you support them in teaching their child better behaviors. However, some parents however will see you as their relief and you are basically a glorified babysitter tasked with fixing their kids behavior. All these things aside the aspect of the job that really got to me was the promise that everyday was going to be exactly like the last with no real variety in what you do. The tediousness of tracking kids behavior is extremely tedious and the hours drag on slowly.

Advice to Management

No real advice to management. Continue to be nice and supportive.

6. "Working as a Behavior Interventioniest"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time

Pros

Trained well, Had a great superviosr

Cons

Hours can be bad. Dont get as many as needed.

7. "Behavior Interventionist"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time

Pros

The kids are amazing!! Some families are very appreciative of your work, and it's a rewarding job to see the smile on kids faces.

Cons

Unpaid drive time and mileage reimbursements. Assigned to far clients at the beginning/end of day and not reimbursed for drive there nor drive back. The logic is that they're "not going to pay for you to get to and from work" (which I agree with), but I also wouldn't willingly choose to drive to a workplace that's far from me for that reason. They do pay for in between client sessions, which is useless if you only have one session a day.
    You're also not given any toys to bring to session and you can't really show up to session empty handed because you need reinforcers to keep kids motivated.

8. "Cons outweigh the pros by far."

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Ontario, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In-depth training, advancement opportunities, making friends with coworkers

Cons

Selfish/egotistical supervisors that offer only minimal support, very stressful work environment (direct intervention with some families that are unrealistic/entitled)

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for your BIs, they're the bread and butter of your company.

9. "Great experience, especially if you enjoy working with kids and their families"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time

Pros

Detailed training, supportive staff, monthly meetings to assess clients' progress and barriers and modify as needed

Cons

Schedule can range from 8:00-20:45 on some days with small time gaps in between

10. "."

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies (More than a year)

Pros

I love being a part of the AST family. AST has really helped me grow professionally and encourages me to continue to grow by pushing me to do my best and supporting me in all areas

Cons

I haven’t find any downsides so far

Advice to Management

None