Autism Spectrum Therapies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Justin Funches

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You also get to see the progress children make every day and truly make a difference" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great Work/Life Balance and Benefits" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Doesn't feel like there's much of a work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Full time schedule not always available" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Behavior Interventionist"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time

Pros

The staff is amazing, the training seems thorough and they're great at communication

Cons

None that I can think of yet.

2. "Difficult and questionable work for little pay"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Paid 2 week training
    - Opportunity to test for BCAT certification after 6 months
    - Opportunities for growth within company
    - Meaningful work

Cons

- Very underpaid for the level of difficulty of the work involved
    - Very little support/guidance in the actual sessions from supervisors
    - Very few toys/materials provided for sessions
    - Tablets and software used for recording data during sessions are extremely faulty and a nightmare to operate
    - Unsanitary conditions in client homes
    - This isn’t a criticism specifically aimed at AST, but the field itself: ABA therapy is basically dog training for humans. After reading accounts online of autistic adults’ very negative experiences with ABA therapy, I felt I could not morally continue to do this kind of work. I would recommend that anyone interested in going into ABA go online and read some of these perspectives for themselves.

"Amazing so far!"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience thus far with AST has been wonderful! The pros of this job definitely supersede the cons.

Pros of working as a BI at AST:

-Lots of independence! This at times does make me a bit nervous (will discuss in cons), but I do love it. If you flourish in environments that allow for you to work by yourself then you will enjoy the amount of independence you get working as a BI.
    -Working with kids and their families is another pro of the job. No day is the same! I love connecting with families and getting to celebrate with them the progress we are often working quite hard for. It’s an amazing feeling to see a child make progress and know that you helped make it happen.
    -This job allows you to be a teacher in a nonconventional way, which I think is really cool. You get to teach a child how to communicate and socialize better as well as how them how to do different self-care skills all while utilizing the principles of ABA.
    -My experience with management is limited as I’ve only had one supervisor since starting, but it has been very positive! My supervisor is approachable, warm, and the exact opposite of a micromanager (very important to me). She treats the moments where I make mistakes or forget how to do something as learning opportunities rather than a chance to make me feel stupid or bad about it. I’ve had some moments of self-doubt in my abilities of being a BI, but my supervisor has never failed to provide the support needed to restore my confidence. Mentioning this might seem irrelevant to some people, but as someone who’s had really crummy supervisors/managers, I think it’s important to know the type of people you might end up working for if you get hired. I’ve met a number of the supervisors in the region I work for and none of them gave off a vibe that made me wary of them.

Cons

The challenges that come with working at AST are really the challenges that come with working in this field. It’s silly to blame AST for the amount of driving that comes with the job, the challenging kids you might end up facing, and the weird schedules you might work. These are the cons of working as a BI in this field. They are not specific to AST.
    Challenges of working at AST:
    -While the independence that comes with being a BI at AST is a blessing, it can at times be a curse. I’ve been at AST for a little less than a year and still feel I have so much to learn as being a BI. I do feel comfortable reaching out to my supervisor with any questions I may have, but she only has so many hours in a day to answer questions, cater to her team of BIs, take care of the admin stuff, and anything else that has to be done as being a CS. I try to be conscious of this and prioritize my questions. It can at times be frustrating not having an easier and quicker way of getting answers to technical questions that come up, but my frustration isn’t directed at management. Clinical supervisors aren’t robots and expecting instant responses from them is purely insane. I just wish there was additional support for clinical supervisors so that technical questions or questions that aren’t client specific could be answered by someone more knowledgeable than myself. I am hopeful that this is something that can be improved because as of right now, this is the only real challenge I’ve been experiencing.

Sep 5, 2018 – COO

Thanks so much for your review and all that you do for our clients! I think you provided a great overview of the job (pros and cons), and I appreciate your candor.

In terms of you suggestion... More

4. "Behavior Interventionist"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome vibe
    Great training
    Get to work with kids

Cons

Gaps in between clients

"Behavioral Interventionist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s a very rewarding field where you can help families hands on.
    They provide training on your initial hire and study guides for the BCAT.

Cons

Hours and finding clientele.
    There’s last minute cancellations, of course that’s out of the companies hands but it’s hard when you lose a client and replenish those missing hours.
    There’s a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

You should focus more on the behavioral Interventionists already working within the company instead of hiring all the time.

"Unorganized"

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time

Pros

The kids are amazing to work with. It’s so fulfilling to see what difference you make with these kids and it’s definitely rewarding.

Cons

As a BI, The people in the office look down upon you. They don’t make you feel supported and are not understanding. Scheduling tends to make the most mistakes and often bully you as if you made the mistakes yourself. Supervisors on the other hand are very helpful and so are the ABIs and definitely make you feel supported but the office environment is so hostile.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your BIs, for a company that has a high turnover rate, be more understanding of them. You make so many mistakes and it all gets thrown upon the BIs. It’s unfair to wipe your hands on them.

Sep 5, 2018 – COO

First, thanks for your service to our clients and your feedback. I am ecstatic that you received great support from your supervisors and ABIs.

As an organization, we are committed to supporting... More

7. "Behavior Interventionist"

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Supportive Staff
    Good Training

Cons

Not always getting a full schedule
    Families can cancel a lot (especially during holiday times)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You do an amazing job for your clients

Sep 5, 2018 – COO

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    -Justin

8. "Behavior interventionist"

Pros

Training provided was awesome. The coworkers were fun.

Cons

Pay was low for what was required.

Advice to Management

IncreAse the pay

Sep 5, 2018 – COO

We work hard to ensure that our starting pay and benefits (i.e., PTO, cancellation pay, mileage, etc.) are competitive for the market. In addition, staff are generally eligible for pay increase about... More

9. "Love it!"

Current Employee - BI in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - BI in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is amazing when it comes to support and training. My Supervisors have been supportive and very helpful. I needed a little extra support with a client and they had someone come spend the day with me. I can't s ay enough about this company. I have had 2 family emergencies and they were understanding and understood.

Cons

None that I have noticed.

10. "AST company review"

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time

Pros

They are super flexible company and help you succeed.

Cons

I do not see any cons of working at AST