Auto-Chlor System Outside Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Outside Sales Representative

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerry L Ivy

Pros
  • Profit sharing is decent but it always the same percentage (in 20 reviews)

• Good Benefits and job stability (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours, can be rushed training (depends on how soon the need a driver) (in 18 reviews)

• There's no upper management that cares about the employee that's working in the field (in 8 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company with positive culture"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Auto-Chlor System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Auto-Chlor for 1 1/2 years now and I am 36 years old and this is hands down the best company I have ever worked for. From my first day, everyone in the branch was very welcoming and they trained me for over 3 months to make sure I felt supported and had a smooth transition.

Every few months the company does a group event so you can bring your family and socialize. The company is very family oriented and wants you to relax on the weekends and think about work. The company invests tens of thousands of dollars if not more on a Christmas party, office promotions and millions of dollars on the profit sharing. My family is very grateful for this company and I plan on being here a very long time!

In my first year with the company I earned significantly more than I have ever earned at any of my previous jobs. And this year I am on pace to earn even more!
    So I would say if you are willing to work hard, learn, be teachable, and follow the system... you can make an excellent income and move up in the company.

Cons

No company is perfect, but I honestly feel that Auto-Chlor listens to feedback and genuinely cares. I have met the owner and top executives and they are all very down to earth and sincere. The company expects you to work hard and be professional, but I do not see that as a Con. I see that as the company having standards and expecting their employees to live up to them and represent the company the right way.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology so we can fully become a wireless, paper free company.

"First eight years were good , then the decline happened"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Auto-Chlor System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sales is the way to go in this company, the benefits are awesome, the profit sharing is real good too, just cashed out with $80,000+, was a route tech for 4 years, learned 2 basic trades then got promoted to sales, learned more about kitchen design and consulting.

Cons

Guys who have been working there for a long time are miserable because of the overload of service calls, they cut overtime and penalize you for everything they can. They fired me for trying to provide more for my family after telling for years I was going to get a raise and never did.

Advice to Management

Ed Ivy, one of the owners, is a great person to work for, however he does not know much of the day to day ops, if he did the branches would run much smoother, the branch managers are overworked and do not delegate responsibilities correctly and when things go wrong all they do is pass the buck, as with the technology, it's like a Mickey Mouse company , the still do not accept credit cards only on emergencies , they don't offer their sales force smartphones, they JUST recently started using a updated handheld printer system, You lost a good salesman who is going to hurt your annual revenue stream BIGTIME!!
    Good luck!

"As a Rebuilder it was good, as a Service Sales Representative (on route) it was bad."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Auto-Chlor System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the shop as a Rebuilder was awesome. Worked mostly alone, had good hourly rate 14/hr and worked from 8-3:30 pm. Plently of breaks long lunch and occasionally got sent to fix a customer machine. Sometimes that machine would be four hours one direction away and driving back another 4 hours completed my 8 hour day while getting paid the entire time and stopping off at a cool place to eat would sum up my day. sometimes we would have sold a lot of machines and it would be my job to restore them as fast as possible. I didn't have a problem meeting deadlines because of my mechanical aptitude. Most of the time it was slow. Some minor forklift work and at the end of the day I said hello to all of the guys on route and help them load and unload chemicals which they appreciated.

Cons

Working as a service sales representative or on route was the biggest mistake I have made in my professional career. They moved me from hourly to hourly plus commission with a considerable lower hourly rate. They outright lied to me about my income being greater than what I was getting. On Call was horrible. When I was a rebuilder it wasn't bad. my days were very consistent. When I moved over to route my days were very inconsistent. sometimes I would show up at 6:30 a.m. And get done at midnight due to a broken machines. I would have to get back up at 6:30 a.m. And do the entire thing again loading close to 1000 pounds of chemicals on my truck. Management was very iron fisted they would threaten and be extremely the demeaning if any objection was raised about why you didn't sell or perform a certain action there way.

Advice to Management

lighten the work load on your route service sales representative. Lighten the amount of micro management and don't be so Iron fisted about making people fit into what you think is the way things should get done.

4. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Auto-Chlor System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent support for Sales Reps.

Cons

We work long hours and on the occasional weekend.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer best practices advice

5. "Not the greatest, but not the worst"

I have been working at Auto-Chlor System full-time

Pros

Auto-Chlor is a great stepping stone company for those who looking for opportunities and o careers. They offer a fantastic profit sharing program for all employees. Working environment is generally upbeat and pleasant. They strongly prefer to promote from within. They offer a product and service that will never be obsolete.

Cons

Micromanagement at times. Total lack of accountability for non performing personnel. Technologically and logistically stuck in the past. Continually operates as if it lacks resources when it doesn't. Generally seems to nickel and dime and cut as many corners as possible. Preaches certain values but doesn't deliver. Has hiring standards that are much too stringent for the level of talent they are looking for. Pay for management and sales is behind industry standards. Employs a take it or leave it mentality.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in the infrastructure so the company doesn't trip over its own feet. Pay the people that grow your company the money the job deserves. Hire people who are suited for the jobs available, don't make excuses that keep branches understaffed and overworked.