Auto Club of Southern California Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Auto Club of Southern California President and CEO John F. Boyle
John F. Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Chance to earn over 100K a year - good benefits - trips (in 39 reviews)

• stable company with a brand that sells (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance is virtually non-exsistance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management will make working there a nightmare (in 38 reviews)

1. "Auto Club Review"

Current Employee - Operations Project Manager Receivables in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Project Manager Receivables in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are great, the leadership is supportive, team is engaging and projects are interesting, The company is stable and financially strong.

Cons

With the stability of the company, changes are nearly always slower than many would like to see. Some would prefer to consider their role is the retirement plan, not necessarily to accomplish the mission of the company.

Advice to Management

Provide and ensure accountability to all levels of the organization. Take risks by removing those who do not perform and are holding the company back. Allow and enable change in mindset on how things should be accomplished.

2. "Auto CSR, Home CSR, Home Field"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- The employee relationships make this job bearable.
    - They don't micromanage, and are generally laid-back.
    - They attempt to reward employees.
    - Very stable company. As long as you do your work, you can easy work there 40+ years.
    - Training is decent. However, you learn the most on the job in the first year and a half.
    - Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

- Severely understaffed. This causes a huge problem with the majority of the jobs offered as a CSR.
    - Claims moves are lateral.
    - Work hard for no promotion, no decent extra pay.
    - They are not fair with promotions.
    - Underpaid.
    - Moral is low and sometimes extremely desperate. Sometimes you feel just a warm body.
    - Customers can be super rude.
    - Stress level can be out of control

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and reward them with something that really matters - promotions, money, upward mobility. Keep the job adequately staffed, so there is less turnover and employees can do their job well - and not feel like they have to half do everything to stay afloat.

3. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and company. Most of the people you work with are very nice.

Cons

Ethical culture is very poor, unprofessional sales floor, poor middle management. You need to be willing to have no life. Upper management in sales is more interested in hitting their sales goals than training and preparing their staff. The customer suffers due to the culture maintained

Advice to Management

Sales meetings for best practices, training and communicating procedure and technical updates. Better training for middle management.

4. "Senior Web Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Privately held - not subject to stock market fluctuations

Cons

Some of the company is very old-fashioned

Advice to Management

Put in a gym or little exercise areas

5. "Emergency Roadside Operator"

Current Employee - Emergency Roadside Operator
    Current Employee - Emergency Roadside Operator

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked Graveyard Shift, wonderful management. Really teach you the ins and out and they want you to succeed at your job. Easy to move up as well.

Cons

Pushed to get AARs when sometimes, especially graveyard, was pretty difficult to do.

"Middle Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable company, believe in promoting from within (almost a must), many internal training opportunities. Promotions happen faster if you are mobile.

Cons

Very slow to react, created the words 'micro managing', middle and even regional level management not really managers. Everything has to be approved at the VP level. No ability to actually run or develop your business Cookie cutter approach taken for ease of management - not because it works in all situations. Salaries are low for expectations.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage. Ease up on expectations of front line staff or increase salary. Don't be afraid to try something new. One size does not fit all. Let go of non-productive staff - at all levels.

"Great Company...BUT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Auto Club is a great company to work for, over the years that I've worked there; many changes have occurred to enhance employee recognition. There's a new CEO, and I believe the company is now moving in the right direction. The former CEO, in my opinion, could care less about the employees.

Cons

- Poor upper management (GROUP MGR.)
    - Low compensation
    - Little to no support from executive staff within business units
    - Little to no room for growth
    - Management takes no accountability for their actions within the department or lack there of
    - Long hours
    - No worklife balance

"Decent managers with low pay"

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time

Pros

The culture is to take care of the members and employees are recognized for performance.

Cons

The pay is well below the industry average for experienced adjusters. If you're a top performer, you'll be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation for your staff and reward your top performers with better bonuses (variable pay). Other employers pay 2-3 times in bonuses what the Auto Club does.

"No Work Life Balance, AAA wants more production for less pay"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Top Earners can make up to $200k and up.

Cons

Everything else is a con. The sales schedule (may not have duties depending on others being reward over you), mandatory late nights (working past 5pm til 7pm, Getting stressed by management over not making quotas, and ever higher demand for quota, every 6months compensation plan gets worse as opposed to better for sales agents, I could go on, but in short everything minus the pay is a con.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't matter, because they don't listen, this topic of advice to them is nay-say. It's do as we tell you or else the door is wide open. Just a number instead of an employee.

"Full-time employe (experience in marketing and sales departments)"

Pros

I have old-school work ethic, I come to work to do the job I was hired (and am paid) to do. I dont expect a free coffee every day, I dont expect to roll in and out of the office whenever I want. I expect that if I get hired for a position like "sales" that the expectation placed upon me is that I actually "sell". I dont expect the company to cater to my every wish and demand or let me work from home because it's more convenient for me. I do expect to get paid for the work I do. I do expect trust, honesty and integrity. My experience is that you get back what you put in. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. The benefits plan is great, including a pension plan that is unheard of in the workplace anymore. The company has been refocusing efforts lately with a bigger focus on activities and events to help break up the monotony of the day. The training available is wonderful, but you have to be a proactive employee and look into it.

Cons

There are challenges with technology, and though updates and remedies seem to be occurring it can be a source of frustration. With such a large organization it can be easy to become a number, managers and supervisors should make additional efforts to help mentor and lead, so that the next crop of leaders are ready when the time comes.

Advice to Management

Explain the "why?" of the business more often. Employees today are interested in doing a "good" job, but if you enrich them with the knowledge of how they individually contribute to the company success, fill them with the pride of working for a company with over a century of history- they have the potential to do a "GREAT" job.