Auto Club of Southern California Reviews | Glassdoor

Auto Club of Southern California Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Chance to earn over 100K a year - good benefits - trips (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work- Life balance and the ability to have more off days once in a while (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management is not knowledgeable in the travel industry (in 35 reviews)

1. "Management support"

Current Employee - Replaceable Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Replaceable Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long standing company trying to maximize revenue and keep costs low

Cons

Slow growth potential for employees as a result. The do more with less attitude to keep costs low alienates the employees. Trying to show appreciation of the employees is a good start, but the current company culture will take a long time to change. Some management personnel should be replaced by outside personnel instead of nepotism and ageism.

Advice to Management

Set reasonable expectations for the salaries you offer.

"Undergoing Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pension plan.
    Location is easily accessible by the freeway.
    Well established company with opportunity to evolve and stay relevant depending on management's decisions.

Cons

strictly monitored 8 hours in the office hours per business day has been negatively received by salaried employees that previously work overtime as needed
    no company wide policy on education reimbursement, this is decided at the discretion of a VP

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s harder to get hired here than fired. Once you’re in, even if you are literally sitting at your desk just reading a book for you mandatory nine hours (which a few do), it’s no big deal. Perks? Not a one. Except that every once and a while you get to walk around the building with a VP! Um, but you’ll have to clock out for that so you’ll have to stay late to make up the time.

Cons

Where do I begin? I left with the same skills I came in with. There was no training for the job itself and we were not allowed attend conferences or upgrade our skills on company time. When a Manager or VP went to a conference, none of that information was shared with the rest of the team. Managers are not supported or trained to lead. They are terrified of the fourth floor and spend their days scrambling to stay out of trouble, often throwing their team under the bus. Executives say that everything is about the members, but it’s really about ego. Employees are told to do things that are not good for the member or for the business – it’s all about executive egos. Those who actually do the work and have tons of knowledge and review the results are never the ones who make decisions. Inferior products are introduced and pushed or touted as “included in membership” and should therefore be valued by the member. It’s all about a VP being able to say that they launched a new product. The company itself is inefficient and way behind the times when it comes to technology, and overall philosophy. It’s sad, because they do have incredible brand equity. When I was leaving my colleagues’ reactions were akin to one being paroled. You’re lucky if you get a 1% raise each year, and bonuses are based on an intricate formula that can easily be manipulated to result in a lower bonus than deserved. Mistakes (which includes speaking to a VP without being spoken to first or without permission from a manager) are punished. Human Resources is unfortunately no help. I left every day feeling defeated and wondering why I wasn’t excelling there as I had at previous jobs. Those who stay are either sticking until retirement or have found a place where they can be idle. But the majority of my colleagues were constantly looking for something better.

Advice to Management

It's something they will never do, but bring in an outside agency and actually listen to what they have to say. The management consultants you bring in are pathetic but I assume that's because you want to appear interested in change, but you really want to keep things the way they are.

"Just OK"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Anaheim, CA

Pros

Good benefits and somewhat competitive salary. Good people to work with. Savings and discounts are nice too, if you are able to take advantage.

Cons

Awful moral and way to conservative. Need to be more fluid with today's workplace changes (work from home and put money into telecommunication)

Advice to Management

Don't be scared to speak your mind. So much red tape and too hierarchical. People are afraid to speak up.

"Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really nice people working there. Nice location and nice building and cafeteria.

Cons

Micromanagement , extremely difficult to move up in the company and further your career.

Advice to Management

Let people do their work instead of criticizing or trying to adhere to a set of unrealistic standards.The result was a lot of unhappy employees in the IT department.

"No growth, toxic managers"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

1.) Stable work. Many employees here have been here for 10 to 40 years.
    2.) You can use this place as a stepping stone to your next position.

Cons

1.) Everything is a lie: The personality test you take when you interview matters more than the technical tests. They tell you they just want to know you - they don't. They want to see you can answer corporately. Like the robot they want you to be.

2.) Pay is lower than market

3.) Managers are, generally, low knowledge and highly punitive due to the environment that upper management has created here.

4.) Work Life balance is not respected

5.) Your time is not respected.

6.) The company environment is toxic: They want you to believe that you are lucky to have a job with them. The opposite is true: The company is lucky there are so many decent and hard working people who have decided to stay here, because this place is not worth any loyalty. They treat their employees terribly and they don't listen to you.

They have an almost "feudal" system of command here, so don't expect your managers to treat you like a working colleague, they've been dog trained here to act with fear.

I left this company and get paid nearly 40% more from a company that treats its employees with respect. A complete 180 degree flip from the autoclub, and my biggest regret is that I did not leave the club earlier.

Advice to Management

Senior management created the toxic environment here. I don't believe they have the ability to fix it.

8. "Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Great company to work for, well-respected, its not-for-profit which gives you the ability to really do the right thing for your insureds and claimants.

Cons

Sometimes you have too much thrown at you at once.

"Processing Clerk Sr"

Former Employee - Senior Processing Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Processing Clerk in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture, stable work place, excellent benefits

Cons

Promotions difficult, nepotism, insular hiring, hostile work place

Advice to Management

Fire those who do not perform after a year, get rid of troublemakers they do not add to productivity

"Don't waste your time here. There is no growth."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Due to the high turn over rate you meet a lot of new people. I met a lot of great people! The training was also very good.

Cons

Micromanaging and having to always deal with being brought in to the office to be disciplined, which was visual to everyone in the call center. You'd watch people breaking down crying or becoming upset. They also made people feel as though they were liars and always accusing employees of playing phone games. The other offices and departments were also very rude to to each other and people were constantly gossiping and trying to get others in trouble. The pay was very low compared to all you had to deal with. Many quit because they couldn't handle to constant micromanaging, action plans and other forms of discipline to keep you in your place. Then there were supervisors sleeping with peers and employees that were below them. This place was hell! They only care about their members and don't really care about their employees...sad

Advice to Management

Care about you employees, support them and their decisions and have a back bone when dealing with the members. Many member are verbally abusive and they know that they can continue with bad behavior because nothing will happen and an employee will lose their job before a member looses their membership.

"Insurance Sales"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California (More than 10 years)

Pros

The member data base and some very nice fellow employees. The customers were generally nice.

Cons

In my 30 + year career, I was NEVER treated so oppressively. Corporate Bullying is everyday common place and they believe that that style of management is okay to treat humans that way. The Employee handbook is a piece of fiction and HR Dept has no moral fabric. I have no idea how they sleep at night. The corporate slogans are a joke "We're always with you" " We make a bad day good and a good day better" and "When you get insurance with AAA you get piece of mind" Well here you are getting a piece of my mind . . . . .

Advice to Management

Clean up your act before another Class Action lawsuit ruins your AAA brand image that you so promote the importance to new hires. Unfortunately you live in an imaginary world living on your laurels of when you were a first class company. I would NEVER refer anyone to work with this company due to the your company abuse. Your corporate model of cross-selling with quotas is not much different than the Wells Fargo scandal . . . .