Auto-Owners Insurance Field Claim Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeffrey S. Tagsold

"Field Claim Representative."

Former Employee - Field Claims Representative

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice benefits, fairly good autonomy, working hours were good.

Cons

Not great training. Difficult to move up if you live in a Western state. Heavy workload. Too conservative.

Advice to Management

Take a chance sometimes, Columbus did.

Auto-Owners Insurance2016-12-14

"Claims Representative"

Former Employee - Field Claims Representative in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super chill and individualistic work environment. Worked on my own for the most part and was out of the office for half of the day out on claims.

Cons

Very conservative company (button up and tie type of place). Had to be in the office even when we didn't have any work to do. Chances of moving up was miniscule.

Auto-Owners Insurance2018-12-16

"Good benefits, average pay, way too high volume with the expectations"

Current Employee - Field Claims Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Vacation and personal leave is good if you can get approval to take it.

Cons

Expectations are too high with the volume of claims. There is no consideration given for amount of claims or the severity of those claims.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. You need more specialization.

Auto-Owners Insurance2018-09-07

"Stepping stone for college graduates"

Former Employee - Field Claim Representative

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits -Incentive Bonus/Christmas Bonus was a plus -Fun staff for the most part

Cons

-Below average pay for industry/college graduates -No chance for advancement unless you relocate ( I was promoted while with the company and was completely maxed out after only 2 years as my branch) -One of their core values is opportunity, yet they will choose to hire outside of the company instead of within when politics is involved. (I witnessed this first hand at my branch with a fellow employee) -Very poor training...

Advice to Management

If you would like to retain your college graduates, pay them as college graduates! You can not expect much loyalty from them when they are severely underpaid. I used the experience I gained in my 2 years with the company and left for a better company that will recognize your hard work and education and reward you for it.

Auto-Owners Insurance2014-01-06

"Great job security but wont get rich"

Current Employee - Field Claim Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

Very stable company. There are many great people that work there. They do have profit sharing and year end bonuses based on time there.

Cons

Home-Office atmosphere can be stuffy at times. Micro managing seems to be increasing. Pay is not the greatest

Auto-Owners Insurance2013-07-18

"A-O Review"

Current Employee - Field Claim Representative in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Great benefits, room for advance (especially if you're willing to relocate, company vehicle, JOB SECURTIY.

Cons

Mediocre salary, TONSSSSSS of claims, constantly overworked, some micro-management, hard to have a life outside of work.

Advice to Management

N/A

Auto-Owners Insurance2010-08-26

"Good way to gain experience, however unreasonable work load and extremely low pay for company expectations."

Current Employee - Field Claim Representative in

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Stable company-claim no layoffs in almost 100 years, Christmas & incentive bonus, retirement matching plan, pension, full benefits, company vehicle with field position (comes with stipulations), lots of nice co-workers.

Cons

Work load for claim reps is unmanagable (150+ open files/rep is low count for position) and puts the employee in a bad position given the nature of the job. Reviews are often subjective and do not provide clear feedback on how to move forward toward promotions. Pay is significantly lower than industry average, even when factoring in bonuses. Yearly reviews rarely result in raises in excess of 2% regardless of level...

Advice to Management

Consider advise from employees. There are a lot of very qualified individuals who have become complacent and quickly lose motivation in this position. You claim employees will work hard but wont work to hard for too long, however this is exactly what is going on. All claims handling is reactive rather than proactive due to the extemely high claim counts which reps are required to carry in a job that is already stressful...

Auto-Owners Insurance2011-04-19