Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It's easy to stagnate if you don't catch the eye of upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Salary is around 10% lower than the industry average (in 10 reviews)

1. "Really showing that AO listens to it's employees"

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hearing out employees (especially as of late).
    Positive environment and culture.
    Workforce cares for employees and insured.
    Large bonuses

Cons

Slower to change
    Salaries a bit lower, but compensated by bonuses and benefits (real pension)
    Business formal dress code

Advice to Management

Encourage openness, trust and communication with your teams and vertical integrations as well.

"Solid company, but behind the industry standards."

Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job security, people rarely ever are fired or let go. Large bonuses if the company has a good year. The work is not too challenging. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Salary is around 10% lower than the industry average. The PTO is also very low compared to other companies. Very outdated operating/computer programs. Poor communication between the underwriting side and the claim handling side. Home office management is very slow to change anything at the branch level.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees what they are worth. Talented employees are going to consistently leave for the competition until salaries match the industry.

"Think hard before you say yes to the job offer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good bonuses. Holidays off.

Cons

Everything I said in this post is the absolute truth, not one lie. But knowing that the powers that be at AO saw it, that is satisfaction enough for me.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to the employees and stop protecting the ones that do wrong things and bully people.

"Decent place to work, but little to strive for"

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

A lot of nice people. I think that most of my managers have actually wanted me to succeed, which is nice. Good work life balance (37.5 hour week).
    401k matching AND a pension (fully vested after 5 years).

Cons

Not much to strive for, so its easy to get into a dead end position and have no way out. Lots of consultants, many of which have no business being in IT. Education and prior experience mean next to nothing to the company. Even the certifications/designations that they pay for you to take end up giving you a bonus (a vast majority are <$300 bonus for 3-5 exams) instead of a salary raise.

Salary is quite low, and it takes 5-10 years of accruing bonuses and raises to start feeling like you are well compensated (or so I am told - haven't been there that many years yet).

Advice to Management

Make people feel as though the experiences and education they bring with them are valued. Increase the value of attaining a promotion to actually feel as though it means something.

"Underwriter don't do it"

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

Don't work here at all.

Cons

This place does not pay you for your work and works you to death.

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

37.5 hr work week, Job security if you do your job, Opportunities to move within the company, Excellent benifits, Pension, Company as a whole strives to do the right thing

Cons

Each area is different, some managers feed off drama and a political atmosphere so their departments are difficult to work in. Like any company, the individual managers can make or break an experience.

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad managers...demote them, don't promote them. Reward your hardworking associates, don't hold them back because they are "too valuable".

"Can be Rewarding"

Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist
    Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great bonuses especially the longer you are with the company
    - Great Benefit Package
    - Workload is manageable
    - Ability to relocate
    - Awesome co-workers
    - Flex hours

Cons

- Management can truly make or break a region. I have worked in many areas within the company with a lot of great managers along the way. However, the most recent position I'm in has unfortunately given me a negative perspective on this company. When there is one bad apple that is causing people to quit left and right, this should be a wake up call to actually do something about it instead of just saying you will. Start listening to your associates!!! Drain the swamp, get rid of the toxic people, put in a new manager that is a LEADER! A leader is someone who cares about their associates and encourages growth, not breaks them down, talks behind their back, and lies to them.
    - Lower Pay compared to the industry

Advice to Management

It starts from the top y'all. When you actually tell your associates that change is coming and nothing happens, you will continue to lose quality, sustainable associates. The day change is actually made, they will start sticking around.

"Commercial Lines Underwriter"

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, low stress, traditional, stable. Easy to work for auto owners especially if you like to go to work and go home. No take home necessary.

Cons

Auto-Owners is very traditional and can be slow to adapt to change. They do not fire people very often and after you have been there for a little while people begin to slow down efficiency.

Advice to Management

Be more clear and direct to address problems. Address them with individuals instead of groups. People don't always realize they are doing things if you don't address them directly.

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great benefits. Pay attention to the retirement package before you get upset about the salary.

Cons

Low salary compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Think twice before leaving!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some excellent benefits that other jobs just can't match.
    *A pension, worth essentially 1.5% of your salary each year
    *Money to cover healthcare premiums (at other jobs, they take 3,000+ dollars from your salary to cover healthcare)
    2 legitimate bonuses - one that's 1% of your salary after you've been with the company for every year you've been with the company, at 10 years and up, it is capped at 10%. The other bonus is based on profitability, and can be worth thousands. I had another company offer me a holiday bonus that was $25. Not at all comparable.
    *Although AO does not offer tuition reimbursement, they offer free insurance classes leading to completion bonuses or even free trips.
    *Performance based annual salary adjustments.

Cons

The schedule may be less flexible than other places, but I understand since I left in 2013, you have greater flexibility.
    The 401k used to not offer investment options, but now it does.
    Men used to have to wear tires, but this is no longer the case.
    Some co-workers may be difficult, but you will find that anywhere.
    Salary may seem low, but the cost of living in Lansing is also low. From experience, I can say that the wages, especially when you factor in the benefits, are comparable to the industry. I now make less than when I left, and it has been 3 years.
    Lansing is not a buzzing metropolis, but I understand that at least some IT jobs are now also offered in Grand Rapids.

Advice to Management

One company I worked for sent a letter to employees outlining the monetary value of benefits. Ex. The company contributed $x in benefits per employee. It might help employees see that AO benefits are way better than the industry.