Auto Trader UK Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2020

Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed(in 33 reviews)

• "The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 27 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 13 reviews)

1. "Awesome, innovative and passionate!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love working in a busy and thriving business then Auto Trader is definitely these. The company constantly is looking for new ways to move forward and understand the market we are in. Doing this has allowed them to review themselves constantly to ensure they are working to lead this industry! They have great offices, people, help, training and values. The one thing I like to do is collaborate and share. The feedback I get is critical but given in an immense way all of the time.

Cons

Not really any cons so far. It's hard to find any.

August 2, 2018Head of People & Culture

Thank you for review. We keep thriving, finding new ways to move forward and make a difference to our industries and it is all down to our people. Good to hear that you are receiving continuous feedback, a great way for us to keep evolving. Hope you keep enjoying your experience at Auto Trader for years to come.

2. "A truly digital business.... it's like working for Google... but for Cars."

in Remote, OR

I have been working at Auto Trader UK

Pros

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to work for Auto Trader. It's an amazing business with an ever improving and evolving culture and a great future. Values win over skills and being a great fit has enabled me to go on the journey and learn so much along the way. Truly proud to be part of the current successes. Hope it stays this way for many years to come! :)

Cons

It's a fast paced environment with high expectations from everyone. We operate a flat structure, so pressure to deliver world class results comes as much from your colleagues as the leadership team. This has been great for me.... but it wouldn't be for everyone. If you want to be a shrinking violet and sit in the corner, i'd stay well clear.

September 21, 2015Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Values do win over skills and will hopefully help us keep up with our successes. The pace can be fast at times but we do welcome all kinds of people at Auto Trader. We will pass your advice to our Operational Leadership team.

"It used to be a lot more fun"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Autotrader has historically been a very fun and interesting company to work for. Things change and they change fast, so you learn to think fast and be adaptable to constantly changing objectives. It's a good place to get work experience on your CV and to meet a variety of people. The company likes to spend money on fancy events and free food/gifts etc so that's enjoyable. If you don't have much experience or want a job to tread water in then it does pay better than general sales rep roles, though pay is widely varied in role.

Cons

It used to be amazing around 5 years ago, you would barely find a vacancy for an account manager and I remember someone saying "I've been waiting to progress but account managers never leave here." Fastforward and attrition has been extremely high since the restructure, one team lost 6 account managers last year. A previous negative review candidly explained the reasons, which was sadly but expectedly denied by HR, but I can confirm it's all true. High growth targets, yet constant retention and often abusive phonecalls, micromanagement like checking on call times to hit and toilet breaks, re-structure of the business purely to increase profit and facilitate rate rises as opposed to what's best for the customer etc. is all true. Team days stopped in 2019 not because of budget but because the sales tribe has turned into a call centre and staff are quite frankly under too much stress to celebrate. Account managers have become retention reps with high growth targets to sell anything to anyone. Yes you try to find the right fit for the customer but in reality it doesn't happen, the infamous calls of a manager shouting for X number of a product to be sold at the end of a week. The business is entirely focused on revenue and beating its competition, but the difficult conversations and staff turn over takes a toll on those wanting to do a good job. Several top performing account managers have left the business because their progression was simply the same role again but under a different title plus having to pay more travel expenses out of their own pocket. I had to pay up front to travel to customers and it cost a lot (yes you claim it back but it's not good). Everything stated here is a fact, the sales tribe has lost a lot of talent which is why the business has started to recruit people with very little experience who would jump at the opportunity or candidates who have said they don't want to progress. Graduates sometimes are paid more than account managers so it is a good opportunity for them.

August 7, 2020Sales and Service Director

Thank you for your review. It is good to hear you found Auto Trader a fun, interesting and fast paced business, these are certainly points we often hear and that we pride ourselves on. We have to disagree with you that these are historical characteristics of Auto Trader and believe that they are still true today. The recent challenging times have proved that the wellbeing of our colleagues, customers and communities remain, now more than ever, our key priority. We also disagree on some of your points around our culture within the Customer account management team. High growth targets and micromanagement are not commonplace at Auto Trader, in fact we have most recently demonstrated this throughout COVID-19 as we chose to offer all customers free packages during such challenging times. We are totally committed to working with our customers in a sustainable, long term approach. Equally we are proud of how we work with all colleagues, we operate a trust first culture and encourage collaboration and open, honest feedback. We’re delighted that our internal account team are given freedom to work with their customers and colleagues in an environment that they are very much part of shaping. Be this when we are all in the office, or more recently at home. We continue to be impressed with how a lively, dynamic, supportive team spirit is being maintained and have no worries this will dissipate at any time moving forwards. Furthermore the wellbeing of all Auto Trader staff is something we place huge importance on and regularly receive positive feedback as a result. We take employee opinions seriously and in our last employee survey in July were once again encouraged by the comments. You refer to attrition and people wanting to leave. Like all businesses we naturally lose some people, our latest turnover is at 12% versus a UK average of 15%, and view this as healthy. New individuals joining bring fresh ideas, diversity and further enrich our business. Some of our new joiners are people with vast experience, some with very little as we welcome early careers into the organisation. For those in the business, having strong personal development plans is a foundation of ensuring we’re doing all we can to help further develop and nurture our talent. On travel expenses you make a very good point and it’s one we should definitely review. With regards to pay, again we disagree with your comments. We participate in Willis Towers Watson and Manchester Digital benchmarking surveys to help us assess our roles against the market to ensure our total reward package for employees is fair. If you want to discuss any of your points further, feel free to contact us on email and we can talk in more detail. Thanks again for your review, Rebecca Clark & Darren Moon

4. COVID-19

"You will struggle to find a better employer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent Management Style - Truly live the values - Office Location - Loyalty - They look after their people I've only been with AT for 6 months now and honestly, at nearly 40 years old, I have found a job I can see myself retiring in. The management, at all levels, are approachable and I have never been made to feel like I'm putting people out. The company values are not just posters on the walls, they are lived! 3 weeks into my employment with AT we went in to lockdown, a traumatic time for most employees in the UK, especially for those who hadn't been with their company prior to the Government deadline of 29th February. I was well looked after and re-assured at every step that my job was safe. Approximately 3 weeks later we were put on furlough and again the same support and re-assurance continued. Now that we're working from home the company have recognised that people's mental and physical health can be impacted by the situation, they have done everything in their power to minimise the risk to us.

Cons

If I'm being nit-picky I would say the recruitment process is too long so prepare yourself for a 8-12 week process. Now that I am in the business though I can understand why, anyone willing to wait that long is showing they are prepared to commit to the company.

July 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing such a comprehensive view of working with us. Really glad to hear your experience is so positive especially during this time of a global crisis. Our colleagues have really come together and led by our company values supported each other. You make a good point about our recruitment process, we try to make sure that we give all candidates the chance to meet a few of our people and make an informed choice if they want to join us and that does have an impact on the duration. We are looking at ways to improving that without losing the benefits so if you have any ideas please share with our Resourcing team.

5. "Values"

Current Employee - Delivery Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Amazing place to work. Care about the people they have and live by their Values

Cons

I have no cons about Auto Trader

July 16, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our values are constantly guiding us and especially during this time they helped us maintain the right focus on our people. Really glad you are enjoying working with us

6. COVID-19

"Always striving for a more diverse and inclusive culture"

Current Employee - PR Manager in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Auto Trader already has established networks within the company to represent and act as safe spaces for people spanning BAME, LGBTQ+, mental wellbeing, neurodiversity and environment. You're encouraged to get actively involved in any (or all) of the networks you are interested in, and the business seems committed to learning and improving its own practices to ensure a multicultural and diverse working force/ work culture. Many brands, especially in this current climate, are coming out to say they support diversity, however many fail in backing this up with action. I genuinely feel AT walks the walk as well as talks the talk. It is a genuine ally in D&I matters and has so many actions in place to deliver against this. Whilst the company is large with 100s of people, you don't feel like another cog in the machine. Its set up includes 'tribes' and 'squads' which splits the workforce into different, smaller working groups and allows for more individual development, whether career or personal-related. Auto Trader has really looked after its people during the COVID-19 outbreak. The offices in Manchester (HQ) and London are amazing! I'm looking forward to returning to them once lockdown restrictions further ease. The layout and interior design is very 'cool tech company' and designed to inspire creativity.

Cons

Very fast-paced but I find this exciting!

July 8, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our employee networks have been working tirelessly for the past six years, it is definitely not new to us, to create an inclusive culture so I am really pleased that your experience meets our aspirations. Recent events have made us reflect on our progress and we acknowledge that we need to do more. During this challenging time our work community has come together and our people have supported each other in truly heart warming ways. Communication when we are not in our offices can be tricky but like you say we need to work on it and improve it.

7. COVID-19

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK part-time for less than a year

Pros

• impressive leadership team • culture is genuine (it’s hard to describe how good it is) • way of thinking and decision making is very effective • delivery function is not found in many businesses and performs a very useful function • willingness to listen and adapt in light of evidence is very good, and led by the CEO

Cons

• Can sometimes move quite slowly

June 17, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you so much for your review. It can be hard to describe our culture but you did a good job highlighting some of the elements that make it brilliant. Our delivery function adds so much value to our business and we are lucky to have such a dedicated team. The current situation has challenged us all in different ways but it brought our work community even closer and the support colleagues give to each other is truly heart warming.

8. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - People and Culture in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at Auto Trader for almost 5 years now and having had a number of roles, I can honestly say that Auto Trader recognises the personal and professional development of their staff and provides all the possible tools to support you. With Diversity and Inclusion being at the heart of the business, it's refreshing to know that i can be my whole, true self at work. Auto Trader recognises everyone's differences and celebrates them all. I can't imagine working anywhere better

Cons

Although i like the fast pace environment and i like change, not everyone might.

June 11, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you have been enjoying working with us for five years, you are able to be your true self and develop professionally. Fast paced and ever evolving are definitely characteristics that keep our business successful. But, we always try to find time to relax as well.

9. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very inclusive and care about their employees

Cons

There is none, I love it

June 10, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have created an inclusive culture and work hard to nurture it. During this challenging time our colleagues have come together and strengthened our caring work community. Good to hear you are loving working with us!

10. "A great supportive culture, in a dynamic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Communications Director in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a highly dynamic and collaborative company that fosters true autonomy and responsibility. It acknowledges your skill sets and allows you to develop in a plethora of ways.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and decisions change constantly, which can be hard for some to manage. But it does mean things get done and the business is constantly moving forwards.

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have brilliant people in our teams and trusting them with autonomy and responsibility comes easy. Moving fast and not being afraid to pivot has been key to our success and allows us to keep moving. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time working with us.

Found 240 reviews