Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here" (in 24 reviews)

• "Auto Trader have great people across the business who are a pleasure to work with" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not really a con, but we are a very fast-paced business & industry" (in 19 reviews)

• "Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Awesome, innovative and passionate!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love working in a busy and thriving business then Auto Trader is definitely these. The company constantly is looking for new ways to move forward and understand the market we are in. Doing this has allowed them to review themselves constantly to ensure they are working to lead this industry! They have great offices, people, help, training and values. The one thing I like to do is collaborate and share. The feedback I get is critical but given in an immense way all of the time.

Cons

Not really any cons so far. It's hard to find any.

Advice to Management

No advice.

Aug 2, 2018 – Head of People & Culture

Thank you for review. We keep thriving, finding new ways to move forward and make a difference to our industries and it is all down to our people. Good to hear that you are receiving continuous... More

2. "A truly digital business.... it's like working for Google... but for Cars."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to work for Auto Trader. It's an amazing business with an ever improving and evolving culture and a great future. Values win over skills and being a great fit has enabled me to go on the journey and learn so much along the way. Truly proud to be part of the current successes. Hope it stays this way for many years to come! :)

Cons

It's a fast paced environment with high expectations from everyone. We operate a flat structure, so pressure to deliver world class results comes as much from your colleagues as the leadership team. This has been great for me.... but it wouldn't be for everyone. If you want to be a shrinking violet and sit in the corner, i'd stay well clear.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing, this business is unrecognisable from the company i joined in 2011. Trevor and team alongside the best people who have stayed the course from the old guard have come together in a great blend of innovation, experience and expertise. Stay agile... but don't change too much! :)

Sep 21, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Values do win over skills and will hopefully help us keep up with our successes. The pace can be fast at times but we do welcome all kinds of people at Auto Trader. We will... More

3. "Graduate Account Manager"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Auto Trader is a fantastic business to work for. As a graduate who is still learning I've never felt without support - there is such a huge sense of team here and it's been a happy and welcoming place to be and work since I started in September. Not only this but the company values are felt strongly throughout the business. The charity days we are given are brilliant and the company benefits are great. I honestly couldn't think of a better place to work! It's a business I'm very proud to be part of.

Cons

The recruitment process for the Graduate scheme was quite lengthy.

4. "Graduate Account Manager"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training I have received has been second to none. You are constantly learning from experienced trainers, management, as well as your colleagues around you. Nothing is too much trouble and everyone will go out of their way to help you if they can. The company culture is like nothing I have ever experienced, Auto Trader really do look after their staff. From social events to fruit in the office to regular catch ups with management, they really do put the effort in and appreciate any feedback you can give.

Cons

Auto Trader is a company that constantly evolves and adapts itself to keep up with the market. It is not set in stone exactly what is happening next as the company is constantly developing so you need to adjust to the fact that things change constantly. This is definitely not a negative but does take some getting used to!

5. "A genuinely outstanding place to work"

Current Employee - I Work As A Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - I Work As A Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast pace of change means we can continue to be one of the most cutting edge and admired businesses in the UK.

By and large great people who all do what they do very well and have big appetites to learn and grow themselves and the business

Amazing culture to be part of.

Genuine and friendly colleagues. Always someone willing the help.

Cons

Couple of people on my squad I find a bit rude and abrasive, not really sure they embody the values most of us really subscribe to. However it's a minority. You always get at least one.

Advice to Management

The employee engagement survey holds a lot of clues to how the company can still improve it. The scores were largely good but please use it to improve AT next year.

Dec 7, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Hearing you describe Auto Trader as a 'genuinely outstanding place to work' makes us feel incredibly proud. It sounds like you're really enjoying... More

6. "Graduate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with the graduate scheme so far is genuinely astounding. Auto Trader is shaping up to be the place that I'd always hoped I would work after I left University.

The emphasis on culture and values during the hiring was clear from the first day, everyone that I've met is friendly and approachable, including the Operational Leadership Team and the CEO.

The academy has been fantastic, as a developer I was unsure whether I would find it useful, but I've made some great friends and have a much deeper appreciation for the wider business than I otherwise would have.

Plus, free coffee, fruit and sweets!

Cons

Nothing negative to say so far!

Nov 13, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We're really pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience so far. It sounds like you're enjoying the mixture of time with your team... More

7. "Graduate Account Builder"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The graduate programme for any job role is a fab opportunity to learn and progress in a company that really values you as an individual! All the employees who work for the company are really eager to enhance your learning and progress. The graduate programme is a great way to gain an understanding of Auto Trader as a company, how the company works and how the business is structured. The academy gives you the education you need to be ready for your role, even if you have minimum experience.
    The company incorporates diversity and inclusion into every element of the business. The company values are a massive part of Auto Trader and if you believe you as an individual align to these values you are looking in the right place. Auto Trader as a company really invests its time and resources into you as a graduate and for someone coming into a graduate role I could not recommend it high enough!

Cons

If you do not like change and working at a fast pace, this may not be the company for you. However, this is not a 'con' as once you embrace it, you will love it!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your graduates! The academy is excellent and the individuals that have supported us within academy have been amazing!

Nov 13, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

The Academy was designed to help graduates truly understand our customers, products and overall business before starting in the role. It's fantastic to hear you speak about it so positively; it... More

8. "Amazing company for a graduate"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really puts a lot of time and effort into training you as a new graduate employee. The "graduate scheme" is similar to other schemes in that it also spans two years but doesn't ask you to rotate around different departments and then to re-apply to continue working there. Instead, Auto Trader takes you on as a fixed employee from day 1 and there is no re-assessment at the end. You are part of the company and family from the get-go.

It's such a forward-thinking company who will listen to your opinion and really value you. Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here.

Cons

I have only been in the company for a few months and as of yet I am still not to find any cons

Nov 21, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thanks for your review.

We're really pleased to hear that your first few months have gone so well. We have invested a lot in our graduate scheme so it's wonderful to hear how you've had such a... More

9. "Graduate Account Builder"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is second to none, everybody is so welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. The graduate programme sets you up with all of the knowledge you will need going into role.

Cons

Hard to think of cons, although, if you’re not willing to work hard then this is not the place for you.

Nov 12, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's fantastic to hear that you've received such a warm welcome.

You have picked up on the passion shown by people across Auto Trader. Regardless of job role, we know... More

10. "Graduate Academy"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Tester in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Tester in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and values adhered to at every level. Real focus on the person as much as their experience throughout the hiring process. Feeling of support and family from everyone I speak to. A CEO who I can approach and speak to like anyone else with full transparency at every level of the business. A real opportunity to influence the business internally and the automotive ecosystem as a whole to make it better for everyone involved.

Cons

Honestly, nothing so far. Entire experience has been amazing.

Advice to Management

Continue to push the values and culture, be transparent and make a real difference.

Nov 12, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so happy to hear that you have had such a great start to your career at Auto Trader.

You're right. Our values are important to us and... More