Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 23 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

• The flat structure does make progression opportunities less obvious (in 5 reviews)

1. "A truly digital business.... it's like working for Google... but for Cars."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to work for Auto Trader. It's an amazing business with an ever improving and evolving culture and a great future. Values win over skills and being a great fit has enabled me to go on the journey and learn so much along the way. Truly proud to be part of the current successes. Hope it stays this way for many years to come! :)

Cons

It's a fast paced environment with high expectations from everyone. We operate a flat structure, so pressure to deliver world class results comes as much from your colleagues as the leadership team. This has been great for me.... but it wouldn't be for everyone. If you want to be a shrinking violet and sit in the corner, i'd stay well clear.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing, this business is unrecognisable from the company i joined in 2011. Trevor and team alongside the best people who have stayed the course from the old guard have come together in a great blend of innovation, experience and expertise. Stay agile... but don't change too much! :)

Sep 21, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Values do win over skills and will hopefully help us keep up with our successes. The pace can be fast at times but we do welcome all kinds of people at Auto Trader. We will... More

2. "Culture is King"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

I've worked in other businesses that aspire to have the type of agility, engagement and values that run right through their core in the next 5 to 10 years. Which is great to hear. The difference is, AutoTrader are already there.

We "fail fast" - let's listen to our people and run with an idea. But the great thing is if we acknowledge it's not working, we quickly move on, rather than dragging out something due to restraints or commitments.

Fresh ideas, highly motivated people and a market leader practicing Lean, innovative and ultimately very humble ways of thinking and working.. What's not to love!

Cons

As you'd expect, the pace of our business is rapid. I don't see this as a negative, but it might not suit everyone or may at least take some getting used to.

However, anyone with great ideas and the desire to really want to show their talents and learn will embrace this very quickly.

3. "A fantastic Business to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Excellent Culture
    - Outstanding offices and environment
    - Hugely successful business model
    - Popular and trusted brand
    - Huge opportunity to develop your career
    - Genuinely helpful and welcoming people at all levels
    - A leadership team who genuinely want to do the right things in the right way (and will admit if in hindsight they could have done things better)

Cons

Arguably the best bit!
    - It's a fast paced company that thrives on making frequent changes so be prepared to move around, work with new people, focus on different initiatives and not sit still.
    - career opportunities and help with development are there for everyone but it's down to you to take ownership, it won't just land in your lap

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right things for the right reasons, continue to learn from the past challenges we've faced, continue to be the great Business we are and take advantage of the new opportunities that exist in our market.

Sep 12, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the review and the positive comments about our exciting culture and environment. We definitely don't like to sit still, and agree with you that we should always seek opportunities to... More

4. "Not all it is cracked up to be"

Former Employee - User Experience Developer in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company, good benefits.

Cons

Very quick to discard you, if it saves them money, very Politicly Correct, lots of the tech leads have personality problems.

Advice to Management

You still have not learned how to be nice to staff & customers.

Sep 12, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We generally have a lot of positive feedback about the culture, the great tech teams, and approachable management we have here and are... More

5. "A great company to grow in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to develop your skills no matter what area of business you align yourself to and even open your eyes to alternative roles which you may never have thought about. They actively encourage a culture that values diversity and inclusion and it feels like they are trying to blend the boundaries of work/life balance to make people feel like they don't have to be separate.
    They honestly do have some great people working here and you really get to see this with the company's emphasis on collaborative ways of working across teams.

Cons

Due to the lean nature of the business, you will probably have to work harder here and at a faster pace compared to other companies. This is not to say it isn't recognised, but, if you prefer to coast, it would not be for you.

Advice to Management

Don't take the lean ways of working too far.

6. "Just keeps getting better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for and just keeps getting better. The company really cares about its employees and really does listen to constantly make things even better than they already are. It provides an excellent collaborative environment where everyone has a voice and people are encouraged to try new things.
    Really great projects to get involved in which further has a positive impact on our culture and people are recognised for their contribution to these. Strong meaningful values that people generally live up to.
    People & Culture and the Concierge team do a great job of having family related activities such as a fun filled summer family fun day as well as activities to support the community. My youngest child really believes that I work in a place that has face painting and a bouncy castle every day.
    A strong leadership team, Alison Ross being one who is incredibly passionate about people and incredibly inspirational.

Cons

selfishly would be great to have an office dog :)

Aug 15, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. It's great to hear you and your family enjoyed our summer party. The feedback has been great. I think there are a few people here that would love the face painting... More

7. "Absolutely fantastic company to work for. I would strongly recommend working here."

Former Employee - Digital Relationship Advisor - Credit in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the facilities, the location, the ongoing training and support. I felt very proud to work for Auto Trader and felt part of something truly special.

Cons

The only slight criticism during my time there was that sometimes certain positions were not advertised and just lacked transparency - however, this was over 12 months ago and may well not be the case anymore.

Advice to Management

I used to love the regular communications from the Leadership Team- it really helped to keep everyone focussed and made me feel like a valued employee. The fact that anyone in the business can have a direct line of communication with senior management is so important and builds such confidence with employees - if you have a great idea your voice will be heard and anyone really can have a positive influence and help shape the business.

Aug 1, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's great that you share our pride for working at Auto Trader, we definitely feel there is something special here too.

We do try to ensure all vacancies are advertised... More

8. "Fantastic company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Auto Trader is unique, everyone seems to work towards the same goals, there is no hierarchical structure that gets in the way of that, everyone is focused on making us the best digital automotive marketplace in the UK. There is a buzz around the office and staff collaborate and work very closely together to achieve better results. Management are pinnacle to the great working environment. I have been at Auto Trader for a year now and I feel the same positive vibes that I felt when first walking into the office. It's a great environment to work in, it's no wonder we have won so many awards for the office itself but the people are obviously key to that, everyone is on the same page, wanting to work hard but make it enjoyable at the same time. It's a place that I can feel proud to work for, we do a lot of great work in the community and everyone has the chance to get involved no matter what you do within the company. Keep doing whatever you are doing because it works!!!

Cons

It's a fast pace environment so you just have to keep up which at the same time makes each day interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you've created a good environment where people can enjoy coming to work.

Jul 25, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the review. It was great to read your thoughts on the environment we have created for collaborating. We have some great squads, all dedicated to the same goal, so although it is a fast... More

9. "Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Performance Partner in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Performance Partner in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring organisation that values opinions and promotes diversity. 44% of hires are women and many occupy senior roles within the business. Great benefits packages available and support from the business and it's leaders is always there.

Cons

There are no aspects of the company that can be seen as a con. From the inspirational workplaces to the friendliness it is all good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high standards and continue to support and develop the workforce. Continue to bring more women into the business

Jun 27, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. We take a great deal of pride in our focus on diversity and inclusion, and it's always nice to hear how important it is to so many people across the business.

We're... More

"Great start to a career !"

Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AutoTrader has been a great place to work as a first job where you get lots of time to learn and get to know how things work whilst working on real, live projects from day one !

-There’s a lot of cutting edge and brand new tech at use within autotrader and increasingly innovation with some of that technology which it’s great to be apart of. There’s also a lot of opportunities to learn new languages and tools as part of the job !

- The graduate scheme has been an awesome experience and made a massive change for me both in and out of work. I’ve had the opportunity to work on skills outside of technology in and out of the office with experts from outside the company. Alongside these I've been able to go to schools, universities and events within the local community to share what we’re doing. This has made a huge difference in confidence and communication for me !

- The best thing about AutoTrader is the people. Anyone will take time out of their day to help you with anything throughout the company.

- Lots of trust put into teams to work autonomously and do the right things right !

Cons

Speed of change and structural change is very fast which isn't necessarily a bad thing but can make communication more difficult.

Jun 19, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback on your experience here. It is great to hear that you have had such a positive start to your career. We like to think we have set up an... More