Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 22 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 12 reviews)

• The flat structure and joined up leadership can sometimes result in conflicting messages or decisions being slowed down (in 5 reviews)

1. "A truly digital business.... it's like working for Google... but for Cars."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to work for Auto Trader. It's an amazing business with an ever improving and evolving culture and a great future. Values win over skills and being a great fit has enabled me to go on the journey and learn so much along the way. Truly proud to be part of the current successes. Hope it stays this way for many years to come! :)

Cons

It's a fast paced environment with high expectations from everyone. We operate a flat structure, so pressure to deliver world class results comes as much from your colleagues as the leadership team. This has been great for me.... but it wouldn't be for everyone. If you want to be a shrinking violet and sit in the corner, i'd stay well clear.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing, this business is unrecognisable from the company i joined in 2011. Trevor and team alongside the best people who have stayed the course from the old guard have come together in a great blend of innovation, experience and expertise. Stay agile... but don't change too much! :)

Sep 21, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Values do win over skills and will hopefully help us keep up with our successes. The pace can be fast at times but we do welcome all kinds of people at Auto Trader. We will ... More

2. "I love working for Auto Trader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely customer focused, maintain a high standard of working and support anyone who shows a commitment to develop within the company.

Cons

The elements related to annual salary reviews are not entirely clear and don't fully reflect performance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent when explaining reasons for individual pay reviews.

3. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forward thinking technology wise, bold, open to new ideas, building distinct culture. 22 years working in IT and AT is the best company I've worked for.

Cons

Flat structure leads to limited promotion opportunities. Over ambitious with the amount of work undertaken at any one time, doing less things at the same time would lead to better efficiency.

Advice to Management

Closer working between the upper management and the squad leads with better expectation management will give good improvements.

May 7, 2017 – Head of Resourcing & Development

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that your experience as a long standing member of our team has been so positive. We all recognise our ambition so we should be making a conscious ... More

5. "I enjoyed my time here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to experience a digital business, with most departments in-house - the knowledge and education you get is great!!!
    The office is awesome - there is everything you need there - no expense spared.
    Some great leaders who inspire and collaborate with staff on all levels
    Induction is great - on going training is good as is the charity work you can do. There is always activities you can get involved with and the company conferences ect.... are great
    Real dedication to improving customer service and experiance

Cons

Major inconsistency in how people are treated - depending on who you are and where you work, some areas have a "face fitting" mentality - which has been present for a long time and hard to change. I saw times where managers "kept an eye on people" purely on the basis of not liking them, this caused frustration, division and unfair treatment
    Pay reviews/progression isn't always fair - based on what your manager thinks/feels and decisions are not vetted by anyone in the business therefore if you don't speak up - you can, and will, be walked over.
    Salary wasn't very competitive, for what I did.
    Once you decide to leave, you are treated very differently - no exit interview, no engagement with anyone from people services just out the door - see ya later

Advice to Management

Keep investing in communications strategy
    Your work on charities and diversity is outstanding -
    Train OLT members on personal skills, can deliver a great message at a conference but cant hold a conversation in the breakout area
    Look at progression outside of technology as most opportunities are in this area

May 13, 2017 – Head of Resourcing & Development

Thank you for your review about your time with Auto Trader. I am pleased you enjoyed working with us and hope you gained a lot from the education and training. Sorry to hear that some elements of ... More

6. "Great business"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture very customer focused, great leadership team, aligned around doing the right thing, modern, strong tech, good blend of experienced colleagues and new

Cons

None for now as only had a positive experience both in terms of everyone I have met and also what I have seen myself

Apr 19, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Our culture and people are really what makes our business so special. We are really happy to hear that you are having such a positive experience working with us.

"Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

Apr 7, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the ... More

8. "Good Company!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

- Great People
    - Job Security
    - Great internal events
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Can be quite difficult to progress

Advice to Management

I sometimes feel that people get rewarded with opportunities & benefits, but these aren't the people who work the hardest. Recognition and rewarding could be better!

"Great people, good company, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a negative review overall, but it is probably the perfect company to go to if for example you're a graduate or someone with less than 3yrs experience. You will learn everything you need to learn in software development best practises, setting you up for life.

- they have a good set of values which help ensure that everyone is pretty great to work with at an individual level
    - for someone lacking experience or expertise, the company provides an amazing environment to improve your skillset
    - very laid back friendly work environment.
    - flexible working hours to fit around your personal life.
    - you're never more than a month or so away from a free bar!

Cons

- trying to be far too lean on staff. Expectations seem to remain the same while they strip squads back to the bare bones and then wonder why work is of a lower quality and people end up frustrated.
    - senior management is more often than not a hinderance, whilst displaying contradictory values to the company. Messages between CEO and squads seem to completely change.
    - you can quickly learn all there is technically to learn at the company, and then you end up stuck in your dayjob not learning anything new. Workload is too big to take time out yourself to experiment with new technologies, and there isn't a breadth of knowledge at the company to learn from.
    - there are a lot of buzzwords thrown around, which can get both tedious and a bit of a joke.
    - since the company floated, everything has become about squeezing every penny possible to keep the share price high.
    - To get promoted to management, you need to be a "yes" person that doesn't rock the boat. The second you start "trying to do the right thing" you know you'll be leaving the company within a year.
    - There is a clique in the senior technical staff which is impenetrable and omni-powerful based on decades of friendships and perhaps slightly outdated outlooks on the digital industry. The company could really benefit from hiring senior tech gurus from the likes of google etc to smash the clique apart.

Apr 12, 2017 – Technology Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of Auto Trader has been negative around the areas you have highlighted. I want to address those concerns directly ... More

10. "Ok if you live in Manchester"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Quirky office set up, friendly employees, great benefits package, Opportunities to study and develop skills

Cons

Being centrally located in Manchester it can be a pain to get to if you're not from Manchester. Not much chance of progression upwards in the company, usually more sideways. Large turnover of staff over last few years.

Apr 13, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Our office in Manchester is only a few minutes away from three central tram and train stations and accessible by the bus network but we appreciate that it might be a longer ... More

11. "Feels like I've worked here for years..."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring work environment, a great 'family' feel with a real passion to drive a difference and create a positive change in the industry.

Having only been with the company a short while I feel empowered and given full autonomy to 'make a difference' within the company and with our customers.

I feel that the company values are fully visible each and everyday and the staff all believe in those values demonstrating them in the business.

Cons

Sometimes and in no way a negative, but the incredibly fast paced environment sometimes prevents you from having more time to spend with some of the senior members. I genuinely couldn't think of any real 'cons' though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. An incredible working culture and environment, which has created a great company spirit and camaraderie. Where everyone is passionate and driven towards the same goal.

Mar 20, 2017 – Sales and Service Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We encourage everyone to embrace our values and living by them each and every day makes Auto Trader a truly awesome place to be. We are so ... More