Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The working environment at AT is fantastic (in 23 reviews)

• Some great people and great products (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc (in 9 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. State of the art game room and gym. Covered parking. Yearly bonus!

Cons

Due to cut backs, fewer perks.

Advice to Management

Great Management! Cares about employees. Treat employees like humans not $$$

2. "A truly digital business.... it's like working for Google... but for Cars."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to work for Auto Trader. It's an amazing business with an ever improving and evolving culture and a great future. Values win over skills and being a great fit has enabled me to go on the journey and learn so much along the way. Truly proud to be part of the current successes. Hope it stays this way for many years to come! :)

Cons

It's a fast paced environment with high expectations from everyone. We operate a flat structure, so pressure to deliver world class results comes as much from your colleagues as the leadership team. This has been great for me.... but it wouldn't be for everyone. If you want to be a shrinking violet and sit in the corner, i'd stay well clear.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing, this business is unrecognisable from the company i joined in 2011. Trevor and team alongside the best people who have stayed the course from the old guard have come together in a great blend of innovation, experience and expertise. Stay agile... but don't change too much! :)

Sep 21, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Values do win over skills and will hopefully help us keep up with our successes. The pace can be fast at times but we do welcome all kinds of people at Auto Trader. We will... More

3. "Great place for graduates"

Current Employee - Graduate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career opportunities are massive
    The people are great
    Canteen is amazing
    The best culture

Cons

None to be honest. Everything is great

Advice to Management

N/A

Jan 19, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. We're glad everything is great for you!
    2018 will be full of more opportunities to learn and develop, so make most of them.

I agree, the canteen is amazing as well as... More

4. "Genuine culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic, forward-thinking company with exciting work at the forefront of the automotive industry marketplace. Great to be involved with a website that is constantly looking to improve. The flat structure means you can genuinely collaborate with other departments, and it is encouraged. Management styles from previous jobs simply looks archaic in comparison to AutoTrader.

Cons

if you are customer based, be prepared for difficult conversations (as well as the good).

Advice to Management

Keep squads/tribes updated with company direction and strategy.

Jan 19, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you're enjoying how we work, which is great to read!

Collaboration is very important to us, which as you say really works well here... More

5. "Forward thinking, people centred organisation"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is one of the biggest things you feel when you start, and everyone makes you feel so welcome.
    The values aren't just writings on the wall, like we've all seen in organisations before, but they are truly embedded in your day to day working life.
    Face paced, you never get chance to get bored.
    It's a flat structure so you can approach anyone about anything.
    The office space is amazing.

Cons

Being a flat structure it is sometimes a bit hard to see where you want to aim for and how to get there.
    The fast pace can also be a bit hard at times, but it's best to embrace it.
    Your career path is down to you to shape, so you can sometimes not know where to start.

Advice to Management

A little more guidance could be used to help shape peoples futures.

Jan 19, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful that you feel so welcome here. Our graduates have made a great start, and we know 2018 will hold many opportunities to continue your development and really... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - CXO Delivery Manager in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CXO Delivery Manager in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a great culture. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills across the different product areas and role types throughout the business. If you show willing, they will let you try something.

Cons

Sometimes things can be pushed through too fast, without following process - but usually if you fight your case to the right people they will support you to do the right thing. It would be interesting to understand how salaries compare across the industry but in terms of general working environment it's great.

Advice to Management

OLT should spend more time among their teams. I understand that they are busy people, but those who are 'doing the do' know the products and processes inside out and more visibility of Management would be beneficial to both parties.

Jan 8, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It's always good to hear people are enjoying the culture and environment here at Auto Trader. Equally, it's great that you are finding the... More

7. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Great offices, Great social

Cons

Lack of structure leads to confusion

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

Jan 8, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's great to see you like the environment and culture here at Auto Trader.

We'd like to think everyone has a voice here at Auto Trader and can share their views and... More

8. "Great market leader"

Former Employee - New Business Development in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - New Business Development in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had over 23 years with this company , and pretty much loved it all

Cons

Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc.
    But probably my fault for leaving phone on

Nov 16, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the taking the time to write a review. Wow, 23 years with Auto Trader! It's nice to hear that you loved it here! We appreciate that our pace of work can be challenging at times, but... More

9. "Great support for apprentices!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are really what makes Auto Trader a great place to work. Everyone you meet is approachable and more than happy to help, no matter how senior they are.

Having done apprenticeships at other companies in the past, I can honestly say that the support Auto Trader give to their apprentices is second to none. Apprentices are given technical buddies and mentors, as well as time each week to work on their development.

The offices are amazing too!

Cons

Struggling to think of any cons as my experience so far has been great!

Oct 5, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

It's fantastic to read such great reviews from our apprentices. We're so pleased you're enjoying the experience and the culture. We hope you continue to learn and become even more awesome!... More

10. "Best Company I've worked for!!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an apprentice i found Auto trader to the perfect fit.
    It has plenty of learning and development opportunities, for example they give you time and support/ mentor to develop your self and learn more.
    And the people are friendly and supporting and it's not all about work, you can have a lot of fun in the games room, or join any of the many clubs.

Cons

Having a lot on your plate sometimes

Oct 5, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's nice to hear that you have settled in so well to the apprenticeship scheme. We have some great, highly talented apprentices here and it's great that you are making the... More