Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 23 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

• The flat structure does make progression opportunities less obvious (in 5 reviews)

"So much potential, but terribly flawed when you actually work for them."

Former Employee - Developer in Newton-le-Willows, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Newton-le-Willows, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology and investment in training courses.
    Ability to work from home.

Cons

Office politics and bullying.
    Arrogant staff who firmly believe they are a cut above the rest, when clearly they are far from it.
    Hire/fire nature.
    Lack of professionalism.
    Terrible work life balance

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see for yourself what's happening instead of asking middle management who are part of the problem.

Sep 24, 2014 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate your feedback, at AutoTrader we take issues that you raised very seriously. We would welcome the opportunity to... More

"Politics Politics Politics"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We'll known brand makes lots of money so feel secure

Cons

The politics. People thrive by taking credit for others work, when will this get noticed? Can't trust what some of my colleagues say, everyone knows they say something different when others in the room. Been going on for too long now, about time it was sorted.

Advice to Management

Can't we be a meritocracy?

Oct 6, 2014 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Our well know brand is built on our strong values and creating an environment where everyone works well together. We are sorry to hear that you... More

"London Ruined"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Product is head and shoulders above competitors.
    Good benefits package.
    Great co-workers and atmosphere, (despite the devils above).

Cons

Arrival of horrendous management resulted in an exodus of staff. Truly awful people that you dare not question in any way, shape or form for fear of reprisals and having 'your card marked.'
    You're expected to do as your told regardless of what your opinion may be and failure to do so will almost certainly have dire consequences.
    Senior staff cabbing to and from meetings, (wouldn't dream of mixing it with the riff raff on the tube), dining at michelin starred restaurants, "leadership" days here there and everywhere... All this, while the little people get reprimanded for even daring to look higher than the second from bottom bottle of wine on the list.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your staff. Treat them as you'd like to be treated yourself. Show some gratitude when the work you flung at someone simply because you couldn't be bothered to do yourself has been done for you!

Jun 11, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are sorry to hear that your employment experience has not been positive and is inconsistent with the one we aspire to offer to all our colleagues... More

"Web Designer at Autotrader"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Newton-le-Willows, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Newton-le-Willows, England (UK)

Pros

Errrrrmmm, the coffee was nice I suppose!!

Cons

Every single aspect of the job and company was horrendous!! It really is the graveyard of web designers.

Advice to Management

Stop using templates and allow the designers time to design instead of churning out crap!!

Oct 3, 2016 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The way we work here at Auto Trader is constantly evolving. Although things will have moved on significantly since back at the time we were at Newton-Le-Willows... More

"Ability counts for nothing."

Former Employee - Supporting Services in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supporting Services in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Nice office. That's about all.

Cons

Bullying management, promotions based on who massages management egos rather than ability, and un-supportive selfish team leaders that need to understand that they work for the team, not the team working for them to make them look good.

Advice to Management

Wake up and recognise the talent that is being wasted time and time again. Stamp out the bullying attitude that seems to drive many of the management team on a day to day basis. Too many people have had to walk away from the business over the last 24 months in order to progress to a position befitting of their talent. It is hardly surprising that employee talent is not being recognised when the company claim that their biggest asset is the data they hold on their customers rather than their own employees!
    The atmosphere has changed dramatically since the move to Manchester, with people clambering and trampling all over each other to try and climb the career ladder. Nasty selfish and aggressive management make for a miserable existence, with particular managers interested only in raising their own profile and not about the development and progression of the people who are unfortunate enough to be in their 'team'. The disparity in wages between support staff and sales personnel is quite frankly insulting and has left huge swathes of the business feeling underpaid, under valued and over worked.
    I certainly would not recommend anyone to work here anymore, which is extremely sad. This is of course unless you are going in as an Account Manager when you can earn more than double the wage of service personnel who sit next to you do the bulk of your job for you.
    And finally, please don't think that anyone here cares about your development, wage increases and annual reviews are based solely on how much your manager likes you and nothing to do with actual performance. Existing employees GET OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Nov 8, 2016 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review, I am sorry your experience at Auto Trader was not consistent with that of our people in general. We provide various channels for our colleagues to give feedback on all... More

"Brainwashes the employees and leaves them broken"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few members of the team - Having a few people on the team who are supportive and work as a team
    The Benefits

Cons

Managers 'aka' take advantage of their role:
    Not sure how a manager can have this title when they are never in the office, don't listen to their team, never communicate or keep the team in the loop with on going projects/plans, sit swearing in meetings and messing on their phone..that's when they are in the office to make a meeting and actually stick to the date and time they arranged two weeks prior, never hold 121's or when they do cancel them 6 times and never reschedule again, bully team members and say their 'not supposed to help' when you tell them you are having to have counselling for mental health issues caused from work.
    The list could go on.

Pay reviews non existent:
    If you're lucky enough to get you're 121 which will then lead MAYBE to you're pay review then don't get you're hopes up. You will work blood sweat and tears for the company and won't get anything back for it. You will be told you get a review annually, also a lie.
    It's all about who massages managements egos the most not how hard you've worked or how good you are at you're role.

Career Progression - Career progression is about who you know and if they like you. Once you're manager has made their mind up about if they like you or not then you will always stay in this category. You will be liked with a lot of sucking up and acting fake

Job Security:
    The whole time I was employed with the company myself and my team were made on a number of occasions to feel unsafe in our role. With employees of over 20 years being made redundant you can imagine how a team of 1 year or less felt.

Individual skills and talents not recognised:
    You hire individuals who have specific skills and talents yet don't allow them to build on these or even use them half the time. Treating them like monkeys and leaving them brain dead on a daily basis.

Just remember a fancy office isn't worth it when you feel like you've been taken advantage of and leave the business feeling like a broken person.

Advice to Management

I don't think any advice would go anywhere with management, as once said at a company conference 'I know how I will be spending my millions'

Feb 1, 2017 – CEO

I'm saddened that your experience has been such a poor one at AutoTrader. The behaviours you report are certainly not what we aspire to and there is no doubt that having a manager that treats people... More

"Response to "Brainwashes the employees and leaves them broken""

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Nice people at junior levels

Cons

I have never read a review more true. I thought I wrote it myself. I started the company almost bragging to friends and family that I was going to work for Autotrader and leaving feeling desperate for my mental state. How a company from the outward view portrays itself to be so morally correct actually employees senior levels to break the spirit of its employees, (just my view). To actually kick them when they are down.

I too was told "I cannot help you" by a manager, not sure if it's because the manager did not have the knowledge and was trying to blag it but it was awful.

A manager that spoke extremely negative behind individuals back and denied it .

Pay gap between men and women at the time was ridiculous, I know for my role there was a £7k difference as if there were less responsibilities.

And you are made to feel insecure about your role, constantly being reminded that the company has an ambition to have the most revenue with least amount of employees. Just really not a nice place to work, no matter how many times they try to push you to write a glass door review whilst at your desk!

Advice to Management

Review high turn over in certain departments, a company culture of being nice has to be genuine and not forced, there are a lot of unhappy employees that are afraid to say so. Everybody needs to work and support themselves / families it's not good to feel scared , hated whilst doing so

Feb 7, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

We are sorry to read that you had such a negative experience during your time here. As you would have read from the response to the review you are responding to, we do take issues like those you have... More

8. "Interesting time spent here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

outstanding facilities, leaders and ethos for working
    great relationships to be built
    great fun company to work for
    a lot of extra activities to get involved with
    lacking diversity at top level

Cons

Leavers process is lacking the personal - no leavers interview, no interest in reasons why people leave., or trying to support/retain them
    can have a negative culture depending on where you work - although the overall company culture is strong and well defined.
    Lack of progression - jobs can seem to be ear marked for specific people so there is no point in applying.
    Smaller departments do use a face fitting method for reward, promotion and recognition.
    Wages are not as competitive as they could be and pay reviews are done on who you are rather than what you have done
    lacking diversity at top level (OLT and board)
    Operations is at times, fragmentised in leadership with conflicting messages and issues
    CEO non existent in office since joining the stock market

Advice to Management

You are making billions in revenue - I don't think I have advice to top that! Maybe look into why people leave and ensure everyone has a leaver interview?

Aug 2, 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience here at Auto Trader. It's good to hear that you found the company fun to work for. We are however sorry to hear that you were... More

"If you make values, stick by them!"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK (More than a year)

Pros

I do enjoy working here, own clothes everyday, make some good friends, good location.

Cons

AutoTrader constantly go on about the 'values' of the company...but they don't stick by them at all. You have bullying that goes on in the office by members of staff who are high up in the company,at the company events 80% of the staff are using drugs, including some managers. People higher up in the company love to act friendly but stab you in the back to others at any given opportunity. You have staff who work 10x harder and do more work than others but are on lesser wage. Trevor Mather likes to pretend he is in touch with everybody in the company but isn't even close.

Advice to Management

My advice to the OLT would be when you wake up in your million pound houses and turn your gold taps, splash some cold water in your faces and have a reality check, you have some really good staff and managers who go un-noticed for their hard work and efforts. One of the values is being humble, so why put contract customer rates up by nearly half? just because you know they have to stay with AT? You guys need to think more about the people who put money in your pockets.
    Once a dealer said to me -
     ''Imagine living in a town where there is only one place to eat and everything else is 200+ miles away, and the food at that place is disgusting, you have to eat there because it keeps you alive, well...thats how I see AutoTrader''

Jan 15, 2016 – CEO

Makes me really sad to see this review. Although we aspire to do so, we can't get it right for everyone all of the time - and we clearly have not in this case. I, and all of the leaders, sincerely... More

"Trust needs to be earned"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Dealer education - Auto Trader have some very strong data and deliver this to dealers very well.

Nice offices - open plan allows collaboration which is great if you're in sales but not if you need to concentrate as it can be very noisy!

Good senior management- Some of the senior management work very hard and are very good at their job and genuinely seem to care, Le Etta Pearce and Darren Moon are two that spring to mind.

Cons

Bullying - dog eat dog environment where everyone stabs each other in the back. There is a definite 'click' and if your face doesn't fit you won't progress. Career progression is about who you know and how long you've worked there.

Abuse of trust - I know of one manager who took 50 days holiday last year which was 50% more than their allowance. This left the team covering the work demoralized and frustrated but they don't feel they can tell anyone as they are afraid of the repercussions. What's also frustrating is that colleagues with children are allowed to 'work from home' when they have child care issues! There is no system to prevent this abuse of trust and it's not fair on the people that work very hard but are never recognized.

Advice to Management

Put polices in place to monitor holiday logs as currently they can be abused.

Managers need to be in the office to manage their teams.

Not all employees are extroverts and work well in the collaborative offices. Some employees work better in isolation when they have deadlines to meet.

Nov 17, 2016 – Sales and Service Director

Thank you for your review. We are indeed blessed with a fantastic working environment where we encourage collaboration and often hear many passionate and impactful data driven conversations between... More