Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 22 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes tipped a bit too far towards work (in 7 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good Company!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

- Great People
    - Job Security
    - Great internal events
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Can be quite difficult to progress

Advice to Management

I sometimes feel that people get rewarded with opportunities & benefits, but these aren't the people who work the hardest. Recognition and rewarding could be better!

2. "Great business"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture very customer focused, great leadership team, aligned around doing the right thing, modern, strong tech, good blend of experienced colleagues and new

Cons

None for now as only had a positive experience both in terms of everyone I have met and also what I have seen myself

Apr 19, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Our culture and people are really what makes our business so special. We are really happy to hear that you are having such a positive experience working with us.

3. "Ok if you live in Manchester"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Quirky office set up, friendly employees, great benefits package, Opportunities to study and develop skills

Cons

Being centrally located in Manchester it can be a pain to get to if you're not from Manchester. Not much chance of progression upwards in the company, usually more sideways. Large turnover of staff over last few years.

Apr 13, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Our office in Manchester is only a few minutes away from three central tram and train stations and accessible by the bus network but we appreciate that it might be a longer ... More

"Great people, good company, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a negative review overall, but it is probably the perfect company to go to if for example you're a graduate or someone with less than 3yrs experience. You will learn everything you need to learn in software development best practises, setting you up for life.

- they have a good set of values which help ensure that everyone is pretty great to work with at an individual level
    - for someone lacking experience or expertise, the company provides an amazing environment to improve your skillset
    - very laid back friendly work environment.
    - flexible working hours to fit around your personal life.
    - you're never more than a month or so away from a free bar!

Cons

- trying to be far too lean on staff. Expectations seem to remain the same while they strip squads back to the bare bones and then wonder why work is of a lower quality and people end up frustrated.
    - senior management is more often than not a hinderance, whilst displaying contradictory values to the company. Messages between CEO and squads seem to completely change.
    - you can quickly learn all there is technically to learn at the company, and then you end up stuck in your dayjob not learning anything new. Workload is too big to take time out yourself to experiment with new technologies, and there isn't a breadth of knowledge at the company to learn from.
    - there are a lot of buzzwords thrown around, which can get both tedious and a bit of a joke.
    - since the company floated, everything has become about squeezing every penny possible to keep the share price high.
    - To get promoted to management, you need to be a "yes" person that doesn't rock the boat. The second you start "trying to do the right thing" you know you'll be leaving the company within a year.
    - There is a clique in the senior technical staff which is impenetrable and omni-powerful based on decades of friendships and perhaps slightly outdated outlooks on the digital industry. The company could really benefit from hiring senior tech gurus from the likes of google etc to smash the clique apart.

Apr 12, 2017 – Technology Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of Auto Trader has been negative around the areas you have highlighted. I want to address those concerns directly ... More

6. "Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

Apr 7, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the ... More

7. "Feels like I've worked here for years..."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring work environment, a great 'family' feel with a real passion to drive a difference and create a positive change in the industry.

Having only been with the company a short while I feel empowered and given full autonomy to 'make a difference' within the company and with our customers.

I feel that the company values are fully visible each and everyday and the staff all believe in those values demonstrating them in the business.

Cons

Sometimes and in no way a negative, but the incredibly fast paced environment sometimes prevents you from having more time to spend with some of the senior members. I genuinely couldn't think of any real 'cons' though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. An incredible working culture and environment, which has created a great company spirit and camaraderie. Where everyone is passionate and driven towards the same goal.

Mar 20, 2017 – Sales and Service Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We encourage everyone to embrace our values and living by them each and every day makes Auto Trader a truly awesome place to be. We are so ... More

8. "Great company"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed working there. Good team, nice people good fun.

Cons

Not so many cons, really is a good place to work

Mar 13, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the time you spent working with us and we are glad it was such a positive experience.

9. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

One of the best companies i have worked at, Salaries are very generous and the company are very rewarding - work hard play hard

Cons

Management could need a look at - Disagree with something

Mar 11, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Hope you got the chance to attend our Benefits Roadshows this week to find out about our new private medical benefit available now for everyone. Our management teams are ... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant company to work for. As a working parent I find my role to have fab work/life balance!! The opportunities for growth and career are fabulous and within my time at AutoTrader I changed several job roles in which I loved them all - The management is very approachable and any problem you can speak to anyone and it will be resolved in a timely manner

Cons

The cons of working for Auto Trader are minimum and I enjoy my job otherwise I wouldn't bother making the 30 mile commute daily. Just a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Kepp doing what your doing!! Great job

Feb 11, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Balancing the needs of our busy lives is always a challenge so it is encouraging to hear that you are doing a great job at it. Hope you continue ... More

"Amazing company, amazing opportunities, amazing people!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here just under 3 months now and have loved every minute of the fast paced way that Auto Trader work!

The offices are fabulous and so are the people who work here. I love that fact that even in the short time I have been here I already know many people around the business who I wouldn't normally meet through my Company Induction, Diversity & Inclusion, and Brilliant Recruitment.

There is so much going on here and a lot to get involved with on a daily basis not matter what your job role is.

Cons

Auto Trader still seems to be going through a period of transition, which is fine and great to be involved with. However, there are a small amount of people around the business who do not share the company values which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. You've built a great place to work!

Feb 11, 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. You have been involved in so much in just three months , it sounds like your Auto Trader adventure had a busy start. The business is always changing but we should all aim ... More