AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • A great company to work for, however the business is run very firmly (in 23 reviews)

• It is a very high energy place to work with a lot of great people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with poor compensation (in 69 reviews)

• Their pay plan for salespeople is directed toward early 'twenty' somethings that are transitioning into the professional world (in 55 reviews)

"Service BDC"

Current Employee - Service BDC in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service BDC in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with are great. My service manager and director are top notch.

Cons

I just can't get over hourly pay and medical. No raises for hourly workers. They are the worst I've ever seen. Also promotions are not handed out to workers who have tenure or work their butts off. It's dependent on whoever is manager and how well you can cater to them. So if you take manager out for drinks and do personal favors for them, you get a promotion and the GM is none the wiser as he has more important things to do than to monitor his own dealership like attend conferences in Vegas etc.

Advice to Management

Make sure to higher mature managers for a departmet or else you will see them handin jobs out to all the girlfriends or girls that go clubbing with her instead of the workers who put the time and hard work in. Smh...still can't believe it.

May 8, 2017 – Content Marketer

Thank you for positive feedback on the service manager and director at your store. It makes us very happy to hear that they are radiating positivity onto their employees. We are truly sorry to hear ... More

2. "Automotive technician"

Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Pinellas Park, FL
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Pinellas Park, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility on hours. Decent people to work with. Pretty relaxed setting.

Cons

Too many techs and not enough work. And the quick lube team does most of the tech work

Advice to Management

Stop letting lube do all the work and your tickets will get done faster.

3. "Insanity"

Current Employee - CFS Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - CFS Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None to report right now

Cons

Poor management and training programs

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable

5. "Worth the money if you have no life"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid the work you put in. They pay hourly on top of commission. Supportive management. Fun job for sales. Working with new cars and different people.

Cons

Super long hours, pay plan isn't the greatest if you sell a good amount of cars. Can be stressful when you come in on days off to sell a car.

Advice to Management

Please be more aware of up rotation

Apr 25, 2017 – Content Marketer

Our Sales Associates are the backbone of this company and we appreciate the time and work that you put in here at AutoNation. Thank you for your feedback on pay structure and work-life balance; we ... More

6. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales staff I work with have the same attitude

Cons

Not very transparent with pay. Preach one thing and do another.
    Management is not very-friendly. Supposedly under the new pay plan there should be no pressure to sell a car. Let me tell you if you dont sell a car you will surely hear about it.
    If you are selling cars you are the managements best friend, guess what if you're not it is a totally different situation.

Advice to Management

Relax life is a very short thing. Don't ask your staff to work longer if there is nothing in it for them when we are already putting in more hours than what was said at the interview process.

May 19, 2017 – Content Marketer

We appreciate your feedback on your position as a Sales Associate. Here at AutoNation, some long hours are expected and required; but should not be recurring daily. We do not wish for the ... More

"Company has made many unfavorable changes."

Current Employee - Sales Associate – ECommerce/Phone in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate – ECommerce/Phone in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume, could open the door to other lucrative opportunities.

Cons

AutoNation has made many drastic changes to their internal structure. This change has caused many representatives to leave the company. It's the main reason why the company is having large hiring events, they are simply replacing the ones who left and not expanding, as they would have you believe. The first three months the company pays you $3000 monthly. After the three months are done, you are paid $2,000 monthly + commission. You will get paid $50 per car up till 9 cars, then it changes to $75 per car. There are other incentives attached to this amount, such as trade-ins and CSI's which you will be paid $25 for each. The average monthly gain with everything included for a salesperson who puts in the time and dedication is from $3500 - $5000 monthly. The reps making $6,000 - $10,000 have been with the company many years and have built a large book of business, they sell upwards of 25+ cars monthly. Which might sound like a small number, but in the car business, it's extremely challenging. My store has only one representative who reaches that amount monthly and has been with the company for 10 years. The main problem with AutoNation is the horrid work life balance. Expect to work 80 - 90 hours weekly to be able to reach the amount specified above. You will work random hours, one day you will have a 9am - 6pm time and the next it will be from 1pm - 9pm with a few 9am - 9pm sprinkled in. You are paid salary, meaning they will schedule you to work 55 hours weekly, the remaining 15 - 20 hours I spoke about above will come from staying late due to customers arriving late. The average time for a deal to close is about 4 hours. If a customer comes in an hour before you are scheduled to leave, then you are required to stay and attend that customer. In my store, management is EXTREMELY immature and love to play favorites.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

May 19, 2017 – Content Marketer

As a Sales Associate at AutoNation, some long hours and overtime are to be expected, as some sales take longer to close than others. However, we do not want you to feel that you’ll constantly be ... More

"Want to be an order taker? Here is the place and you'll make 30K a year doing it."

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly the only good thing is some of the people who work for this company.

Cons

Autonation wants to change the car business by making everyone who sells cars an hourly employee getting paid 11 dollars an hour and getting $50 at a regular store or $100 a car at high-line stores. So basically if you are a kid looking for a job or are retired then great but if you need to support a family or have a decent lifestyle then this company is not for you.

They do not care about long term employee's as they will tell everyone in sales meetings that you are all replaceable with new bodies. Turnover rate is higher than any other dealer group that i have seen.

The best part is they don't want you to work over 37 hours a week because they don't want to pay you for more hours but yet they want you to sell 15 cars a month at working less than half of the hours you should be working to sell in a high-line store.

Autonation is the Walmart of the automotive industry. The goal for them is to buy out every single family owned or privately owned dealership and turn them into corporate stores so there is no competition.

The amount of middle level corporate management is ridiculous, you have national presidents, region presidents,market presidents, national used vehicle directors, market used vehicle directors, RODMs and you get the point there are so many i can not even list all of them but since they have so many people they have to keep cutting sales people's pay to make sure they can pay corporate salaries. About every three months they cut the finance managers pay because they are making "too much money" but yet the CEO and corporate teams make 22.5 Million dollars a year in compensation.

Advice to Management

Sales people are the core of the company that make it run so maybe you should invest in them if you want the company to grow.

"Looking for my way out after 3 years of continous service."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool co-workers that can become your real friends.

Cons

Don't appreciate employees. Had to report several problems to HR and had never been solved, not only with me but with several good and productive co-workers as well. Some had to leave the company because of that. Management won't care to keep good employees. They won't care if you are not able to make a decent paycheck as long the department hit their numbers. I had to drop my health insurance because couldn't afford it any more. Had a good opportunity in another company and manager said crap about me, yet he won't fire me (contradiction). He won't care if I have work, but will come running when he needs something done right away. Work will be delayed for his or others fault and then I have to come and fix it, even try to make me see that it it my fault. Even calls me in my day off and have to cancel my plans to go and solve the problem. Last smack in my face, I had a big life changing raise of $0.50 after years of service.

Advice to Management

Employees are the face of the company. The company growth is because of them. Treat them with respect and fairness. They work very hard for you, give something in return.

May 8, 2017 – Content Marketer

We are sorry to hear that you are feeling underappreciated and that HR has not yet solved the issues in which you and your coworkers have been facing. AutoNation encourages open communication, and we ... More

"They will not tell you the truth all of the texas region corporate will lie to get you in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

having insurance they pay for

Cons

autonation pays less than the other automotive dealers in the DFW area

Advice to Management

Stop letting corporate get away with the lying and deceptive processes they do.
    When they are caught they always have a fall guy in the store level.

"Great team and environment in a powerful Forbes 200 company."

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Team and environment are great. Salary is one of the highest in the area.

Cons

Software development practices are immature. Deployment procedure is ancient and needs to adapt modern practices.

Advice to Management

Establish a process management branch for IT

May 8, 2017 – Content Marketer

We’re glad you’re on the same page as us when it comes to our pay structure and the work environment we pride ourselves on. Here at AutoNation, we try to provide a fun and exciting environment for ... More