AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • A great company to work for, however the business is run very firmly (in 23 reviews)

• It is a very high energy place to work with a lot of great people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with poor compensation (in 69 reviews)

• Their pay plan for salespeople is directed toward early 'twenty' somethings that are transitioning into the professional world (in 55 reviews)

1. "Do not waste your time"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really the only thing I can say positive about working for autonation is that since they have many location across the US its "easier" to find work around your neighborhood, or when you move. But that would be the only "Pro"

Cons

Pay, management, etc. Your just a number along with thousands of other employees. They pay the least in the industry and expect the most.

2. "Previous contractor"

I have been working at AutoNation full-time

Pros

Pay ok All great management left over the last 2 years

Cons

No support management lazy/management steal inventory

Advice to Management

Replace

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales staff I work with have the same attitude

Cons

Not very transparent with pay. Preach one thing and do another.
    Management is not very-friendly. Supposedly under the new pay plan there should be no pressure to sell a car. Let me tell you if you dont sell a car you will surely hear about it.
    If you are selling cars you are the managements best friend, guess what if you're not it is a totally different situation.

Advice to Management

Relax life is a very short thing. Don't ask your staff to work longer if there is nothing in it for them when we are already putting in more hours than what was said at the interview process.

May 19, 2017 – Content Marketer

We appreciate your feedback on your position as a Sales Associate. Here at AutoNation, some long hours are expected and required; but should not be recurring daily. We do not wish for the ... More

"Company has made many unfavorable changes."

Current Employee - Sales Associate – ECommerce/Phone in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate – ECommerce/Phone in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume, could open the door to other lucrative opportunities.

Cons

AutoNation has made many drastic changes to their internal structure. This change has caused many representatives to leave the company. It's the main reason why the company is having large hiring events, they are simply replacing the ones who left and not expanding, as they would have you believe. The first three months the company pays you $3000 monthly. After the three months are done, you are paid $2,000 monthly + commission. You will get paid $50 per car up till 9 cars, then it changes to $75 per car. There are other incentives attached to this amount, such as trade-ins and CSI's which you will be paid $25 for each. The average monthly gain with everything included for a salesperson who puts in the time and dedication is from $3500 - $5000 monthly. The reps making $6,000 - $10,000 have been with the company many years and have built a large book of business, they sell upwards of 25+ cars monthly. Which might sound like a small number, but in the car business, it's extremely challenging. My store has only one representative who reaches that amount monthly and has been with the company for 10 years. The main problem with AutoNation is the horrid work life balance. Expect to work 80 - 90 hours weekly to be able to reach the amount specified above. You will work random hours, one day you will have a 9am - 6pm time and the next it will be from 1pm - 9pm with a few 9am - 9pm sprinkled in. You are paid salary, meaning they will schedule you to work 55 hours weekly, the remaining 15 - 20 hours I spoke about above will come from staying late due to customers arriving late. The average time for a deal to close is about 4 hours. If a customer comes in an hour before you are scheduled to leave, then you are required to stay and attend that customer. In my store, management is EXTREMELY immature and love to play favorites.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

May 19, 2017 – Content Marketer

As a Sales Associate at AutoNation, some long hours and overtime are to be expected, as some sales take longer to close than others. However, we do not want you to feel that you’ll constantly be ... More

"Want to be an order taker? Here is the place and you'll make 30K a year doing it."

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly the only good thing is some of the people who work for this company.

Cons

Autonation wants to change the car business by making everyone who sells cars an hourly employee getting paid 11 dollars an hour and getting $50 at a regular store or $100 a car at high-line stores. So basically if you are a kid looking for a job or are retired then great but if you need to support a family or have a decent lifestyle then this company is not for you.

They do not care about long term employee's as they will tell everyone in sales meetings that you are all replaceable with new bodies. Turnover rate is higher than any other dealer group that i have seen.

The best part is they don't want you to work over 37 hours a week because they don't want to pay you for more hours but yet they want you to sell 15 cars a month at working less than half of the hours you should be working to sell in a high-line store.

Autonation is the Walmart of the automotive industry. The goal for them is to buy out every single family owned or privately owned dealership and turn them into corporate stores so there is no competition.

The amount of middle level corporate management is ridiculous, you have national presidents, region presidents,market presidents, national used vehicle directors, market used vehicle directors, RODMs and you get the point there are so many i can not even list all of them but since they have so many people they have to keep cutting sales people's pay to make sure they can pay corporate salaries. About every three months they cut the finance managers pay because they are making "too much money" but yet the CEO and corporate teams make 22.5 Million dollars a year in compensation.

Advice to Management

Sales people are the core of the company that make it run so maybe you should invest in them if you want the company to grow.

"They will not tell you the truth all of the texas region corporate will lie to get you in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

having insurance they pay for

Cons

autonation pays less than the other automotive dealers in the DFW area

Advice to Management

Stop letting corporate get away with the lying and deceptive processes they do.
    When they are caught they always have a fall guy in the store level.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you stay long enough, you will make many new friends with all of the sales associates who will come and go.

Cons

Poor pay plan; Unrealistic expectations; Long hours; Constantly trying to find new ways of taking the little money they actually pay; No respect from management team; Managers have limited management skills, but were probably good car salesmen and connections to be promoted; this list could go on for some time.

Advice to Management

None needed, they wouldn't listen or care anyway. The constant rotation of new sales associates should give them a clue.

Apr 25, 2017 – Content Marketer

We are truly sorry to hear that you feel overworked and under appreciated. Our Sales Associates are very valuable to our team, and we are always looking to make improvements as a company and as an ... More

9. "Good Opportunity- Poor Middle Management"

Former Contractor - IT Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Contractor - IT Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AutoNation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great and company has a lot of potential to growth

Cons

Senior IT Management is not clear what is the best way of managing the volume of work they have in IT.

Advice to Management

Be clear on which methodology and framework you would like to use before you contract more IT people

"Things Changed (and not for the better)"

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, I worked with a great team of individuals over the years that I was there. I got great support from my regional management team for the first 5 years.

Cons

After reorganizing in 2015, things went downhill. The company seemed to care less for the employees then they already did. New management at region and corporate levels had awful communication and everyone began to just feel like a cog in a machine. Jobs were so compartmentalized, that you couldn't do anything to move forward without 8 other people being involved, which was no good when things needed to get done. When my own managers changed, there was such a lack of communication - no direction, no guidance, no feeling like I was part of a team. I felt like I was out on an island. The sad part was that it had been such a great place to work for so long. I struggled with leaving, but I knew it would never be the same.

Advice to Management

Why bother, profits are all that matter.

Apr 25, 2017 – Content Marketer

Thank you for your honest review of our management. Here at AutoNation, we thrive on feedback from our employees and use the pros and cons to further provide structure to our company. Your outlook on ... More

"Car Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job with a roof

Cons

Management is very negative and works to lower your self esteem

Advice to Management

Get management education on motivating people