AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with a big purpose (in 29 reviews)

• great people sometimes great clients (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours as in any other dealership (in 79 reviews)

• Not the strongest pay plan in the business (in 69 reviews)

"Corporate mentality...there are postives and the negatives. I find Autonation more reasonable than other dealerships."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

There is a clearly defined procedure that takes the element of surprise out of the equation.

Cons

The beauracracy for each elements of the business is extremely extensive...be aware.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement is a huge negative and teamwork should be emphasized in order to create a cohesive working environment... understanding your individual sales staff and their unique abilities/experience will help tailor your managerial style for each individual to the benefit of the dealership (i.e. more sales).

2. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Even though I was employed during a bad time for car sales, I was still able to do alright. Training was very good. Alot of time was put into training and retraining. We were expected to work alot of hours but it was not difficult work.

Cons

Continuous calling of customers was pretty annoying and got some people mad. The location of the dealership made it tough to get people approved for a car loan. There was some favortism when it came to managers giving customers to favorite salespeople.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in training. Many of the managers would take shortcuts that were taught as the wron way to do things.

3. "Big Bucks for the right person!"

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

Pros

This is as Ethical as a company gets...especially a car dealership. Upfront with customers from start to finish.

Cons

Be ready to strap on some serious hours. Family time is OVER!

Advice to Management

Get Involved......

4. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Autonation is a great company to work for..with over 18000 employees, there is plenty of technology to manager and implement and support.

Cons

Thing have been really run unorganized and this has but technology behind and supporting it is hard to do, but not impossible.

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments given and show initiative by doing things for the IT associates without them asking or even expecting it.

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

The company is an industry leader and very forward thinking. They are always looking at the new technologies available and how they can be used to improve processes.

Cons

There is limited potential for advancement and therefore they are losing some very knowledgeable employees to competitors and other industries.

6. "Highly professional management and a wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tustin, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment and excellent trainings

Cons

Income depends on customer's economic conditions

Advice to Management

Advertise more

7. "Positive Overall with Some Drawbacks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Generally great group of IT people to work with who have solid skills and knowledge. Benefits are good, and management has shown its commitment to employees by paying bonuses missed in a down year in a following good year. Location is attractive, and the views from the top floors are a plus. There is no cafeteria on site however and the food nearby is generally expensive and subpar.

Cons

Requirements gathering and sign-off process is very weak, leading to lots of confusion over the project life cycle. Also, business sponsors are usually not forced to stick to initial commitments. Staff is asked to work on many things at once, with load balance usually coming as an afterthought. Compensation is average, and hours can be excessive at times. Also, the org structure is so flat it leaves little room for management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation and/or career advancement opportunities so that top staff doesn't go elsewhere.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is really great at AN, they take the time to train you. I did not know anything about cars and my current dealership gave me the opportunity to learn, they are committed to the new people that start. So far I really like my job, I believe the tools are provided to be successful. The work environment is extremely competitive but respectful and the pace at the store is incredibly fast, you have to jump on the boat and be committed, if that is the case, you will do just fine. I am very grateful that I am here and so far I believe I made the right choice by making a career change.

Cons

So far I cannot complain.

Advice to Management

Important information can also be provided at a lower lever. Sometimes there is a detachment between corporate and the stores.

9. "A VERY interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, advancement within company, very organized training team. Great Values. Great Company. Great opportunity for a long-term career in the automotive field.

Cons

More of than than not Management only cares about the numbers

Advice to Management

Numbers are important but is not everything.

10. "Great company to start a true career!"

Current Employee - Booking Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Booking Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonation is a very attentive company reaching greatness in all levels of the auto dealing and auto service industry. They have great benefits for their employees and unlimitless opportunities of growth both personally and career wise. I've just been with AutoNation for a short period of time but have felt welcomed and appreciated from the beginning.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons yet and doubt I will, as long as I am able to fully reach my full potential.

Advice to Management

Push a bit more on the interactive side and keep reaching for greatness. The better you do the better the entire company does.