AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

AutoNation Reviews

Updated May 9, 2017

Pros
  • A great company to work for, however the business is run very firmly (in 23 reviews)

• It is a very high energy place to work with a lot of great people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with poor compensation (in 69 reviews)

• Their pay plan for salespeople is directed toward early 'twenty' somethings that are transitioning into the professional world (in 55 reviews)

"Micromanaging parts dept."

Former Employee - Parts Advisor in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Parts Advisor in Buena Park, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately no pros , corporation needs to be more business like. I guess getting great deal on a new car is a pro , but not something that would help you financially.

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough Indians . Managers don't have the drive to make more money for commission based employees . They settle for what they have. Poor business mentality. Micromanaging to the fullest .

2. "Service advisor"

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. That's about it.

Cons

You are a number. They don't care about you one bit. All about numbers. You could do a terrible job, but if you look good on paper , you won't get yelled at . Do all the little things that really matter and you will get nothing because it doesn't show up on a report.
    Meetings after meetings. Conference calls after conference calls. All because they don't have a grip on what the stores and employees are doing. Constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. Just when you get trained on something and figure it out , they will change it and mess it all up.
    Just look at the stock price. It has dropped in half while the rest of the market has gained .
    Go to any store and you will find disgruntled employees. No doubt about it. No Christmas parties. Try to take a sick day and they will run you out of the store. They say one thing and do the total opposite.
    Terrible place to work. Don't get trapped like I have been.

Advice to Management

Where would I even begin???

AutoNation Response

Apr 25, 2017 – Content Marketer

AutoNation asks that its Service Advisors help our customers turn an unpleasant event into a positive experience. However, we understand that if our employees are not getting the same in return when ... More

3. "Constant change and low morale"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cant think of many, some of the people I met.

Cons

Upper Management works with a bunch of Yes men, Constant change on the battlefield, Good people replaced by employees that quickly see they are in a no win situation with this company. Benefits are a joke - I paid for the Gold BSBC plan and the deductibles and co pays SOARED for 2017. That is for a nationwide company that employees 1000s of employees but they negotiate for the shareholders not the rank and file. Mike Jackson thinks he is a move star, the post when he will be on TV and encourage the employees to watch. I should have known what I was getting into when I asked for some pens on my first day and they told me they had none, or petty cash, or anything else. Really disappointing.

Advice to Management

The share holders are important but unless you take care of the employees that make it happen its only a matter of time. . .

"Mafia"

Former Employee - Technician in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Technician in Sterling, VA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once you start working there you start thinking :what was I thinking ?? Are these people that stupid ??

Cons

Lie : a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    Synonyms: prevarication, falsification.

Advice to Management

Stop lying

"IT Department is being dismantled per new executives and Sr management"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

? Really it was 3 years of disregard for any employee and then 2017 was the massacre and threats to follow

Cons

The constant lies from executives and new so called leadership. The intent seems to break down the teams, have them quit of fired so they can outsource.

Advice to Management

Stop the lies

"Put your seatbelt on if you work in HQ"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time

Pros

The prestige of the name and work space.
    Corporate events.
    Access to Downtown and covered parking.

Cons

HQ is not a feel good place. Management rules by fear and being told 'you are replaceable, we are all replaceable' is common. Much of the company's public face is hypocrisy behind closed doors. They are focused on looking good but are out of touch with their own employees. Management is presented what they need to be shown and employees are expected and held to 24-hr received well.
    They notoriously pay vendors late and skirt the rules.
    The company runs like an insurance company - taking risks that they will only have to pay out or handle certain things.
    Appreciation is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees another layer down and care!
    Many people of tenure work the system to remain but should be replaced. Department heads tell management what they think management wants to hear to keep their jobs - not what is in the company's best interest or the whole truth. Decisions are short-sited for budget reasons and cost the company triple for not using foresight and common sense. CEO is extremely intelligent and business savvy but either has no idea what is happening in his own company's office to his own people or doesn't care.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at AutoNation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn about cars finance and run your own business

Cons

Dumb managers fresh water sharks cheap company

Advice to Management

Train more , understand quality of life

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about how to buy a car.

Cons

The only constant is change. Maroone was instrumental in making AN what it is today. Mike Jackson on the other hand has destroyed the brand.

New pay plan with 2k base, and 100 per car in luxury, 50 I'm regular brand. No more commission, forget gross doesn't exist.

Too many sister stores competing with each other and undercutting. Sort of bite your nose off to spite your face.

Majority of issues plaguing the organization are self inflicted. Cronyism runs rampant, management is only open to those in the "circle of trust."

Favoritism is a cancer, overworking the sales staff with only 1 day off is the norm. Benefits are a joke, they don't offer anything, you pay for it all.

Zero control or accountability with stores. Silo mentality keeps corporate folks unaware of the travesty in dealer.

New pay plan promises to cap your earnings, and prevent you from making anything more than 60k. Long hours will make your average earnings look like you just got out of high school.

Technology is seriously lacking, their CRM is good but their infrastructure is horrible. Think of dialup slow and disregard the 100 million they allegedly spent on new software.

Current mantra is to flood sales floor with 30 plus sales people. Leaving sales associates to fend for themselves.

You'll be lucky to get a desk at some stores, attitude and moral is extremely low. Budget cuts are a clear indication that the company is struggling to maintain the status quo.

Vendors have been eliminated, entire departments downsized, profits shrinking and flats are now a 100 at luxury stores.

All while Mr. Jackson collects 10million a year in salary. The demise of the largest retailer is eminent. They are selling off stores under the guise of not cowering to the manufacturer, but it's just smoke and mirrors.

Completely mismanaged, and a waste of time. Seek elsewhere, don't believe the hype. They chased the unit count and whored the market.

Destroying their ability to sustain a profitable enterprise.

Advice to Management

The board needs to wake up and fire Mike Jackson, Berman and the rest before a crash is eminent.

"Revolving Door of Managers"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Good compensation for good effort.

Cons

Seriously lacking in positive motivation and job security.

Advice to Management

Give department managers sufficient time to implement changes and show improvement instead of "test-driving" them for 90 days and trying the next person in line.

11. "Automotive Technician"

Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Maitland, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About the only pro I have is the people I work with are great people. The non manager employees at my store are awesome great people.

Cons

Money Driven, You're not an employee, you're an employee number. Not valued as a person. No effort by management for career growth.

Worst part of it all, PAYROLL!!!!!!! They always mess up oru checks, Its never right. I am not making this up or being sarcastic. Most of the employees are commission based. They will mess up your pay guaranteed. Extremely frustrating.

Advice to Management

I know this will fall on deaf ears but I just wish that they will put forward the effort to see us as an asset to their company as oppose to just a cash mule that can be squeezed until they are not able to squeeze us no more. They need to understand that we have families that depend on us and instead of making us want to stay with them for the duration of our careers they are making any position at this dealer a stepping stone. At some point they have to look in the mirror and realize that they have something to do with the high turnover rate at basically every department at my dealer.

Also. FIX PAYROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!