AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours as in any other dealership (in 78 reviews)

• Not the strongest pay plan in the business (in 66 reviews)

1. "Autonation"

Former Employee - Used Car Manager in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Used Car Manager in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Money, and thats all folks

Cons

Bad managment, but they always cut you back and work you like a dog

Advice to Management

Look after good employees

"Cumbersome work, Bad Pay"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly can't think of any

Cons

Uneducated management. Bad pay in particular departments. Drama/Sexual harassment allowed in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Stop just listening to people in high positions. Many of these people who are in these positions outsource their own work to others who get paid a tenth of what they do, and this is for some reason allowed. You either get paid a ton at AutoNation, or next to nothing. There does not seem to be an in between, at least not in the accounting department.

AutoNation Response

Nov 9, 2017 – Human Resources

We regret that you had a bad experience with our Company. AutoNation does not tolerate sexual harassment and takes your review seriously. Professionalism and fairness are expected from all of our... More

3. "sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at AutoNation (More than a year)

Pros

there where no pros at this job

Cons

the worst place ive ever worked for hands down bunch of racist if you are a minority dont waste your time they will treat you poorly

Advice to Management

throw away the company and start all over dont show favortism to employees based on race

4. "The UX team is poorly managed"

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the environment isn't toxic. You're working with a good, passionate team.

Cons

Everyone is hired as a contractor. Contractors are given the promise of eventually becoming a permanent employee, but no one ever gets promoted. As a contractor you get no benefits. Contractors used to have the benefit of getting paid for holidays, but no longer. Contractors are promised raises, but a contractor has yet to receive a raise.

As a contractor, you're employed at AutoNation through a staffing agency. The staffing agency provides health insurance, but the plan is so bad it's barely worth paying for. The staffing agency itself is poorly organized. Contacting them to resolve issues with your paycheck is a frustrating experience.

The job description for a UX/UI Designer at AutoNation is misleading. You're not working with the latest tools. Everyone must design with Photoshop. They do not see the value in using the latest design tools and they're reluctant to embrace the latest technology and trends.

If you've ever worked as a contractor, you know that contractors are treated a little differently than permanent employees. But in AutoNation's UX team, contractors are treated very differently. They did not like contractors going out to lunch together in a group, so individual lunch times were assigned so that everyone goes to lunch separately. Permanent employees get new equipment while contractors need to bring in their own laptops. If a contractor turns in their two weeks notice, they're terminated at the end of the day.

The difference is clear between how the UX team is managed compared to how other teams are managed. UX contractors get reprimanded if they talk too much, while neighboring teams talk all morning or afternoon without any repercussions. Contractors in other teams get promoted to permanent after 90 days (the normal routine in most companies), while UX contractors never get promoted. On the work day before a holiday or special event, the office floor will nearly be empty as other teams have left early, yet all UX contractors are still present being required to continue working.

With the way contractors are treated, they are clearly viewed as replaceable. As a result, the UX team has a high turnover rate. Management has little to no interest in employee retention.

Advice to Management

The UX team needs new management.

5. "Good place to start"

I have been working at AutoNation full-time

Pros

Not much to do, you're left alone to do your job for the most part, good atmosphere, goofy people

Cons

No lunch break, sometimes it can be redundant and boring since there's not much to do except answer the phone. When there are no calls, you get bored.

6. "Parts"

I have been working at AutoNation full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits are solid

Cons

Long hours and weekends are required

7. "Estimater"

I worked at AutoNation full-time

Pros

It was a good place to work

Cons

Schedule had to flexible

8. "what vacation pay??? They stole mine!"

Former Employee - Master Mechanic in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Master Mechanic in Dublin, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't work there anymore

Cons

There's not enough room to write all the cons of working at any AutoNation store. They are complete the thieves. It was by far the most dishonest company I've ever worked for in my life. From the sales to the service department. They were by rusted cars from back east and undercoat them and sell them to people in California. It would take cars from Canada and watch the titles and Wyoming and then bring them into California. They hard nothing but drug addicts and their personal friends to run our dealership into the ground.

Advice to Management

Become homeless

9. "BDC"

I worked at AutoNation full-time

Pros

great company to work for, loved the pay plan and the structure of the company as well as the training

Cons

no holidays or weekends off

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A large company that crosses the US, gives the unique opportunity to grow and to relocate.

Cons

Hours, training, schedule and balance

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote a healthier work life balance

AutoNation Response

Oct 11, 2017 – Human Resources

We are constantly looking for transparent feedback so that we can improve employee satisfaction. Your feedback is not uncommon; we hear you and are actively looking at how to improve work-life... More