AutoNation Reviews | Glassdoor

AutoNation Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A great company to work for, however the business is run very firmly (in 24 reviews)

• It is a very high energy place to work with a lot of great people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with poor compensation (in 71 reviews)

• Their pay plan for salespeople is directed toward early 'twenty' somethings that are transitioning into the professional world (in 55 reviews)

"Autonation.... You mean Nazination!"

Pros

Only pro was some of the people I worked with!

Cons

Shitt* management. Only cared about their pay checks and no one else's. General manager only cared about car sales and nothing else. 90% of all equipment was broken. The other 10% not working. Employes get paid not even close what they deserve. Dealership doesn't fallow barley any OSHA regulations! Sales is rewarded the most. Everyone else is a slave. Expect long hours from everyone that's unless you are hourly. Only 40 hours and no OT! I I WILL NEVER REFER SOMEONE TO WORK HERE NOR BUY A CAR FROM AUTONATION. I always refer people to look into the competition in where they are much better employers!

Advice to Management

No advise since they are not going to do anything about it anyways. Actually my advise would be to quit and stop making everyone's life's hell!

"STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SHARED SERVICE CENTER!"

Former Employee - Accounting in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting in Irving, TX

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation, Holiday pay, flexible hours (at least in my department) and decent benefits.

Cons

What a joke! The Shared Service Center is in need of a complete overhaul! They use ADP which is an ancient software program from the mid 90's, that causes more harm than good. Everything is completely manual and it is easy for mistakes to happen that are hard to correct. Half the programs they provide don't even work most of the time. The management and HR team are a joke! They spend more time worried about making themselves look better than being concerned about how their employees are doing and how the teams are functioning. They will say over and over that they are committed to your advancement but are quick to toss you to the curb like a piece of garbage if you disagree with them. I felt like I was attending Jr. High again when I worked there. All the managers had to write a "Social Contract" because the office politics were so bad! News flash management.... NO ONE FOLLOWS IT... NOT EVEN YOU! Don't listen to the well rated comments either. It is HR trying to move all the bad reviews down because the turn over rate for the Shared Service Center, wait who am I kidding the WHOLE company in the past 6 months has been absurdly high and Management/HR wonder why! Because you treat your hard working employees like dirt and your completely unstable employees with the utmost respect. Give me a break! This place is a living nightmare.

Advice to Management

The Vice President and Director need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize the management they have running the departments at the SSC are completely incapable of doing so! If you want to know why you have lost so many great employees this year that is why!

"CSRs be warned"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Lithia Springs, GA
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Lithia Springs, GA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company insurance rates are decent.

Cons

No training. constant changes in Management staff means constant changes in expectations and way of doing business.

Advice to Management

Support your people. Clients and CSRs need to know they can trust the Service Manager.

4. "Don't waste your time and money purchasing your next vehicle from a sales rep. Go straight to the internet dept."

Former Employee - Non Internet Sales Consultant in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Non Internet Sales Consultant in Fremont, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the free car wash.

Cons

Most managers in most dealers are Afghans. They tend to hire their own people and abuse the word "favoritism". Their salesmen tend to not only lie to the customers, but their fellow employees as well who is not Afghan.

Advice to Management

Management are lazy at times when giving out figures.

"Reception"

Pros

Good pay, nice environment, and clean place.

Cons

Long hiring process. Manager is unorganized. Training by people who are more interested in reading magazines and Facebook than work.

Advice to Management

Get organized and have professional people do training.

"Disgraceful"

Pros

I have absolutely no Pros for this company!!! None

Cons

SSC in Irving, Texas is a joke. It is the worst place. They work you like a dog, no room for advancement unless you are in the click. Lots of unnecessary overtime when most of the time you are sitting around wondering why you are still there because you can't leave until they dismiss you, like you are in school. It's nothing but a family affair, supervisors and managers give jobs to all there friends and family members. Stay as far away from that place, if you don't, trust me, you will regret it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management and get some people in there that will actually run the company and listen and care about their employees.

7. "Leadership offers no direction at the regional level."

Former Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX

Pros

Within the industry benefits are decent.

Cons

All they care about are profit margins, people are "replaceable"
    No proper compensation review system in place - you can forget about COLA (raises)
    HR is a joke - they are puppets in managers hands and offer little help to solve issues

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers and employees, they want to be heard and appreciated. Invest in a leadership program for your staff and improve communication.

8. "Beware"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Success isn't based on performance. It's based entirely on kissing butt. If you take a job with Autonation just bring in donuts and McDonalds to the management and you will move up. Period!!!

Management is so lazy you can pretty much do anything you want. Except make money.

Cons

Terrible management
    Lack of training
    Poor pay plan
    Long hours
    Lying to customers

To be honest, pretty much everything was a con

Advice to Management

management at Autonation Nissan of Brandon is a joke!!! Takki, the used car manager is the only one worth keeping. Everyone else is useless. Ei, never there, and if they are they are probably on there cell phone playing candy crush. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I can in to this business from Hilton Worldwide and will soon be returning to them. They expect you to achieve goals that are not even possible given the amount of cars the dealership sells. This company is a bad joke, I would work for them if me or my family's life depended on it.

My advice would be to accept any job besides with this company. Believe it or not.

"Making a change!"

Current Employee - ECommerce Sales Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - ECommerce Sales Manager in Orange, CA

Pros

Room for advancement
    Structure
    Draw should be more
    Better compensation and bonus plan

Cons

Mico Managed
    No support from Corporate
    Time off policies are very challenging, poor work / life balance

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    Give better work/life balance
    Support your team
    Give advancement were advancement should be given (within each location)

"A disappointing experience working with a company that could have promise with the right leadership and direction."

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is room for advancement within the company, and if you need to be relocated, there are plenty of stores throughout the US, giving you the opportunity to do so.

Cons

The company lacks stability, primarily within management, and the screening process to become a manager is not as stringent as it should be. This results in a lack of true leadership, as well as instability and anxiety for lower level employees. The pay is also typically not competitive with other auto retailers.

Advice to Management

Create stability, and quit putting unintelligent, uneducated people into management.