AutoZone Reviews | Glassdoor

AutoZone Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • very much a "this is how we have always done it" type mentality in upper management (in 142 reviews)

• Part time hours are more like full time hours (in 102 reviews)

"Never get full time"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, You get 20 hours if you want it, Nice drivers, nice salesman, good vendor.

Cons

They promise you full time and it will never happen. They say they will move you up quick. Nope. They will give it to someone of there same ethnic back ground. Not an equal opportunity employer by any means!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see the hard workers of your company. See that they do the work not sit in the office and point there finger! Don't just look for any reason to get them in trouble. If someone loves there job then don't rain on there parade. Don't be discrimitive in the workplace and if they want to be transferred let them! Don't talk to them like there a bad worker because there happy to be there and your not!

"Part Sales Manager"

I have been working at AutoZone part-time

Pros

20% discount. Its s job that I'd all about selling the customer everything to do the job plus more. Getting no incentive to sell fuel system cleaner. Upper management are the only ones who get bonuses for sales. The rest of us just fight to survive the craziness and asdhole customers.

Cons

Never enough coverage. Equals poor customer service. High Anxiety. Phones ringing supposed to answer and help customers at the same time. Customers think we should do everything for them. Like putting on seat covers. Change car batteries in subzero weather also light bulbs windshield wipers. Always doing check engine lights. We are underpaid. Too many recalls and planograms.

Advice to Management

Pay more $. Stop trying to sell customers a new fuel system treatment every month. Hire more people. If you want good sales you need to treat employees better. It's a big mess when its busy and your rinnin circles for $11 hour. Also trying to be nice to customiwhen your stress I'd high from all the bs. Gibe every employee a bonus for sales. We will sell more.

3. "Just don't"

Former Employee - Store Autozoner
    Former Employee - Store Autozoner

I worked at AutoZone part-time

Pros

The other employees were great to work with. It was a good environment for the first half of my employment. Of course, we were all underpaid, including the part-sales managers, so the chemistry was strong. Slow hours were great for us to get things done around the store, i.e. putting up and bringing down overstock, facing on the sales floor, doing planograms, etc. The 20% discount is a plus, as are the numerous possible discounts from Chrysler, Ford, AT&T, Verizon, Dell, Apple, HP, etc.

Cons

Store manager was overpaid for how very little help we got as employees. Slow hours were fine, we got stuff done, but busy hours with a PSM and a couple red shirts was hell, even when the store manager was working too. Spent most of the time in the office, only came out to check something or when we asked for help. Store manager stayed at the counter until it slowed down enough, then went right back to the office. Had a lot customers complain about the store manager in a short period of time. Also, SM and DM never rewarded employees but loved to reprimand for any little thing.

Advice to Management

The better the knowledge of cars and the longer the employee has been with the company, the higher the pay should be. I started at just over $9 (pre-minimum wage increase) with little-to-no knowledge of cars and very little work experience, while a coworker, who knew far more than me and was an employee for over a year, was earning just under $10. Minimum wage increased to $10, my pay went from just barely over $9 to $10, a big increase in a few months time. Coworker went from just barely under $9 to $10 a very small increase. Coworker deserved to be paid more than me, as did other red shirts with more knowledge and experience. The part sales managers were also very underpaid, getting only slightly more than the red shirts, but probably and most likely far less than the store manager. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES WHAT THEY DESERVE! Or hire managers who will, because the district manager cared more for themselves than any employee with the district. The DM also didn't take customer complaints about the store manager's bad customer service seriously. Worst run store within the district, hands down. Even worse than other Autozone stores in bad neighborhoods. Hire better managers, develop a new system to pay employees based on knowledge and experience, and realize that when it comes to auto parts sales, the customer ISN'T always right. Too many employees get complaints from customers, even though they follow company policies on returns and warranties and such, only to have the store manager override the transaction or warranty, making the employees look stupid in the process, while also costing the store money.

5. "Autozoner"

Former Employee - Autozoner
    Former Employee - Autozoner

I worked at AutoZone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, clean efficient running deliveries. Good people and feels good to help the customers. Always have the newest products and if they are not carried you can get them ordered.

Cons

Long hours, dismal pay. Expectation is you have the knowledge of an automotive engineer, experience of a master technician and that you accept pay on slightly above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Stop running the staff into the ground. If you want them to be professionals, you must pay them as such. The turn around is ridiculous. And the Cheer is pathetic.

6. "They don't care about their employees."

Former Employee - Parts Counter Manager in North Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Parts Counter Manager in North Fort Myers, FL

I worked at AutoZone part-time

Pros

You can work really hard and be on time and come in when they need you.

Cons

You get lied to about pay raises and job opportunities. You are loyal work your butt off and are there when ever they need you and what thanks do you get? A 75 cent raise when you are experiencing 5 dollars more per hour like they pay someone off the street who knows nothing.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. A former member of management was stealing from the store and I got the boot for it.

7. "Review"

Pros

My coworkers were nice.

Cons

Safety:
    - Batteries in the back should have been stored no higher than two shelves high.
    - The rapid battery charging array in the back of store should have vented toxic battery gases directly out doors but instead were vented thru the store.
    - Company mandates a business style black polish-able shoes when in fact you should be wearing safety toe shoes with slip resistant soles.

Advice to Management

Vent battery gases out of the store and safety-toe shoe/boots

8. "If you need work"

I have been working at AutoZone full-time

Pros

The field people are dedicated

Cons

You are always personally liable for any problems. Also they want lots of things accomplished without providing tools like staff.

9. "Sell sell sell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Pros

Autozone offers a flexible schedule if your going to school or have a second job. You'll learn about car parts and you'll gain some sells experience.

Cons

Limited hours a week if your a part time red shirt. Some customers act like aholes expecting you to know exactly what is wrong with their car. They also want you to act as security guards when shoplifting occurs.

Advice to Management

Management should know not every customer is going to want to buy related parts so a stores witt scores won't be up as they'd like especially the non commercial stores/smaller stores

10. "."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Columbus, OH

Pros

I wish I had some pros for autozone.
    The only pro I have is me leaving the company.

Cons

If I could rate them with zero stars I would. I worked there for over a year I worked 10 times harder then anyone in the store and I knew more about cars then the managers we had at the store. They refused to give me a opportunity to move up and gave me a 16 cent raise after a year. So I became a manager somewhere else and I'm still a manager over a year later. The best choice I made was leaving that company.
    The management that az has is horrible and the district managers are extremely lazy and don't wanna pay people for what they are worth.
    Benefits are terrible and the hours they hand you are trash and they don't wanna work with you because it's an in convince to them and the company.
    worst about the company is they are very understaffed and have a very high turn over rate!

Advice to Management

Move the people up who deserves it and pay people what they are worth. Hire more people and remove the trash managers that are killing your business.

11. "Plymouth...Detroit,MI"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company bad location, good hours cause management is salary and dont like to work.

Cons

Bad location, high crime area.

Showing 279 of 1,763 reviews