Autodesk Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Autodesk CEO Andrew Anagnost
Andrew Anagnost

Pros
  • Work life balance is always depends on the person (in 206 reviews)

• You can work from home anytime you need to and every 4 years you have the sabbatical: 6 weeks of paid vacation (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to get promoted to Director and establish upward career path, hard to maintain decent work/life balance esp (in 33 reviews)

• Much of the culture change being pushed with the business transformation is not being accepted at the middle management tier (in 42 reviews)

"Incompetent"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the software engineers were very talented and I learned a lot from them. That's about it.

Cons

Management is god-awful across every level. Upper management is forcing their hand into the development teams with no competence whatsoever in software development. You can imagine how that's working out for them. They also claim to care about their employees but they don't. HR is a quaint little figurehead that doesn't actually help or support anyone. The pay is pretty poor comparitively and the benefits are not good. Also expect to work excessive hours that you won't be compensated for in any way. The company is in steady decline: they can't find a CEO, they can't find anyone to hire because they treat their employees like expendable garbage, and they are terrible with their customers. They have an employee referral program yet myself and every one of my co-workers that ever made a recommendation never heard anything from the company- marketing and sales is the WORST at that. If you're a self-respecting software engineer, don't work for this company.

Advice to Management

Good luck...

"Awful, toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Channel Specialist Bilingual in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Channel Specialist Bilingual in Denver, CO

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ability to buy stock,

Cons

Had a surreal experience working here. Started great and then they let my manager go and hired his subordinate to take over who was a narcissist with no management experience. He ended up working my team like a sweatshop. I blew the whistle, complained, spoke with HR all to no avail. They could not believe what I was saying was true. It was t until I was physically and mentally broken from the abuse of power of this man, that they realized what this man was doing, and they finally fired him. I was approved for Social Security Disability benefits thankfully, but this company had no compassion whatsoever. I had to hire an attorney to keep me employed and then to work out a severance package. Horrible experience.

Autodesk Response

Mar 28, 2017 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

Sounds like you feel you had a horrible experience. That’s the exact opposite of everything we try to do for our employees. There are always two sides to every story, but no matter what, that is ... More

"Poor EIS, Awesome Autodesk"

Current Employee - Administrator in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Benefits, energetic ppl and nice location views . Training, Sabbatical and holiday programs are best in their own class

Cons

EIS Infrastructure division. It completely runs opposite to what Autodesk does. Too much of legacy minded thoughts, failure to adapt Saas based mind set which company already even though heavily expensed. Internal IT is fragile. One would expect to have complete CMDB , Full monitoring,Automated break fixes but still lot manual and still lot of excels and emails. Reason weak skilled admins and poor Management.

Advice to Management

Do take advice from Management outside EIS Infra/apps. No need for 5 Directors and over 20 managers to handle current services. Soo much of overlap in services managed.

4. "VERY bad for contractors"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some teams are friendly and nice.

Cons

The management seems to be absolutely clueless about their need for contractors. The first time, they ended my team's project VERY shortly after I joined, due to Autodesk's "business priorities". No hints were given. I left this place & applied again many years later, just to see whats up.

The same story repeated itself. After reaching an advanced stage in interviews, Autodesk said that they got the job requirements wrong and needed someone with much more experience instead.

I strongly recommend that junior and mid level contractors avoid Autodesk. You don't want to give up other offers or spend too much time and money on relocating for a company that is very unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Hire contractors only when you know you need them. Just because contractors can be hired & let go easily, it does not mean that you should do that recklessly.

"Bad managment in all departments."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, location, innovative, gym, gym

Cons

Bad management, constant change, continuous layoffs, life/work balance, HR

"Abysmal management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, NH

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few nice people worked there. You could bring your dog to work. Very, very, very, very, very little else.

Cons

Miserable management. Poor schedule handling. Zero assistance if you fall behind. Training was offered by almost never.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest value. Learn that. Get used to it. Use it. Grow with it. Live by it.

"Was a good company"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good work-life balance. People usually just work a few hours every day.
    The pay is not low but not high either.
    The company is not customer facing. And its products have sticky fact -- once the designers start using it, switching to another one is risky and costly. So it is sort of stable.
    It is still dominating building industry and 2D CAD area. I tried a few other 2D softwares. They are far worse than AutoCAD.

Cons

The reason why I give it one star is because of three reasons (without them the company deserves 3 stars):
    1. when I leave the company recently, there is no exist interview. My manager asked HR but no response. The company doesn't care why you want to leave.
    2. I worked long enough time that I earn a sabbatical, which is 6 weeks paid vacation. I did not get payment for this when I left the company. So I sent email to HR asking for this. I did not get any response either.
    3. Early this year I had a friend who wanted to partner with Autodesk. So I sent an email to a senior sales manager asking how to do so. I did not get response.

Apparently people working there just want to get paid. They are not passionate. This is the reason why I wanted to leave too. Only a few percentages of people really working hard -- I know a few of them. The rest are just lying in their chairs, sometimes making negative contributions. The company doesn’t pay excellent people enough – a few thousand dollar difference won’t encourage people to work harder and overtime. If you are smart and want to get paid for your contribution, don’t go there.

Not much growth. It is not one of the top three companies in 3D manufacturing industry. Since going from 2D to 3D is inevitable, it is losing its foundation. When their old customers (designers) retire, the company will suffer.

Pay is okay -- can't compete with the hot companies in bay area. Even startups can beat it. If you just want a job, this is a good company to work with.

Advice to Management

AutoCAD is not easy to use. And designing the correct workflow is not suitable for fresh graduates. However, the team keeps hiring new graduates as UI designers who have no experience how to use AutoCAD. This has been done for many years.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is okay. That is about it, but this thing makes me keep writing more.

Cons

Horrible culture of harassment and negativity. I would tell anyone looking to work here to just run.

Advice to Management

Stop protect horrible bossing that are harassing employees

"Cut Throat Environment"

Former Contractor - Administrator in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrator in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits; ability to work from home; pay, intelligent people, and work atmosphere (beautiful offices); dog friendly!

Cons

heavy, heavy workload, lack of management support, nasty people! Not at all impressed with this company and the way they allow people to treat each other. I was very unhappy with the lack of training and support I received. A lot of immature people working there!

"Join at your own peril."

Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is OK
    Bonus is good unless there is a food fight.
    Too laid back (leads to no innovation, se below)

Cons

This place is wierd.

Here are some of my observations about the folks at Massachusetts offices.

There is a lot of talk and say about how they like to hire best people. But then when they get them, they do not know what to do with them or support them.
    Product managers who are actually good product managers, are given an additional responsibility of being people managers. Well guess what they suck at it!

There is way too much of a focus on processes, politics and bonuses. That is why for years, this place has suffered from lack of innovation while Adobe's of the world have already gone to the cloud. They are way behind in cloud and use very old stacks where they actually are cloud based.
    These guys are just starting. Even small things such as build environments change 2-3 times because there are way too many chefs in the kitchen.

There is way too much dependence on overseas teams for development who suck at software development. It is all about management (time,cost and resources) and less about leadership.

It is no susprise that they are trying to reinvent themselves as a company, culture and business. The move to the new building later in the year is a huge indication of that. It is understood amongst the manager show have been brought in from mostly startups recently, that
    this move will cause "older/leecher" workforce to leave on its own and younger intern/junior engineers to join in hoards.

Well if you are interviewing here, keep in mind: this is still a big company but influx. I would not advice joining if your are starting a career, albiet you will be paid well. Other folks, you know better!

Advice to Management

Observe and learn from other companies as far as people are concerned. As for innovation, all you can do now is just throw money.

Showing 52 of 1,320 reviews