Autodesk Reviews | Glassdoor

1,198 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,198 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is actual work/life balance at a tech company - but you don (in 218 reviews)

• You can work from home anytime you need to and every 4 years you have the sabbatical: 6 weeks of paid vacation (in 50 reviews)

Cons

"Like herding cats at times..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great to see a project come to fruition

Cons

Jumbled hierarchy, teams are changed far too often, just the shiny ball syndrome

Advice to Management

Stop canceling projects when they are ready for release.

"Quarter by Quarter"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Decent comp. Fairly smart co-workers (usually those who have a reputable Masters degree and above). Many cool products. Big Research division. Amar Hanspal's great sense of humor (while he was there).

Cons

Umm.... constant re-orgs/reshuffling, well beyond normal politics. In under three years, I had to switch between three divisions just to protect my job. Seen entire teams disappear quickly. Most cases, my teams received suboptimal budget for at least one quarter... and... if you don't time your departure before your team's worst quarter, then guess what... your job could become toast ! Performance reviews are just a distraction from that risk.

Advice to Management

Bring in a few management expert fellas from outside to tidy up management. Investigate and destroy silos. Help your talented staff succeed elsewhere in the company when budgets run amok.

3. "Overall a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO is a longtime Autodesker, he seems like a straight shooter. A steady hand during a time of transition.

Cons

We can be siloed - disparate teams should make it a point to interact once in a while so we give everyone a global perspective, rather than just seeing what is on our own desk at any given moment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. People seem happy, we're doing great work, the stock price is up, our products are revolutionary.

"I love everything BUT the PTO policy"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly competitive pay, great benefits, super progressive, really interesting work, amazing co workers , good management.

Cons

PTO Policy is one of the worst I've ever experienced. It's true that every 4 years we are allowed a 6 week sabbatical, but I would rather just have more PTO accrued each year. We are given 12 days of vacation time per year but expected to use 3 of them in July during a mandatory vacation week, leaving us with just 9 days per year off. That is not enough, especially compared to other tech companies in the industry. Many employees are forced to take unpaid days off if they need to take more than what we are allotted, and losing one or two days of pay is incredibly hard.

Advice to Management

Please consider re evaluating the time off policy.

5. "Denver Sales Hub"

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Fun place to work, young culture, work hard/play hard

Cons

New office was somewhat disorganized; felt separate from corporate office/larger organization

"Great mission, but hard journey"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company mission is super inspiring, and genuinely strives towards making the world a better place
    - Lot of awesome initiatives happening with biotech & research
    - Lot of work life balance
    - Lot of opportunities for volunteer work and extracirricular activities!
    - Super convenient location by BART
    - Lot of general facility perks, such as onsite gym and access to Pier 9 - I've lasercut a lot of stuff for side projects :)
    - Highly encourages making and you have access to the software for free
    - Company is pretty much the leader in a lot of the software we offer, so there's bragging rights :)
    - Lots of very smart, diverse, incredible people here! It's been incredibly humbling to work here.

Cons

This company is an old, old ship. A lot of the folks here have been here forever (10+ years) and are rooted in dated processes, unwilling to take feedback from new employees, until the new employees either quit or stay long enough to get absorbed in all those dated processes. As a younger employee, this can be intimidating - an older employee, who I introduced myself to in the kitchen one day, offhandedly told me that I probably wouldn't make it to the 4-year mark, as "millenials are noncommittal".

As a designer, the work depends (understandably) on what team you're on- but being a part of a big company, you will be siloed, and a lot of the work won't be sexy visually. There's currently been a movement towards creating global UI guidelines but it's taken a very, very long time to develop and the team that is working on it hasn't permeated all of the design teams yet, it feels that any one team within the company doesn't have much reach across orgs.

Generally not a huge design culture here - we host a lot of design events for the public, but internally, design thinking is still relatively new to non-designers and pushing that has been a challenge. The designers feel very disconnected, and there's often duplicate efforts happening and not a lot of communication. There have been efforts to bring us together; we have designer all-hands, but it feels that the original gusto has worn off. The company is very numbers and sales driven, and at times so ambitiously so that it costs our reputation with our customers; often I've felt the way we sell and bundle our products undermines our customer experience.

Some teams do not value or put as much budget into research, or sometimes that research will be introduced too late in the pipeline for any significant design changes to be made before getting rushed into development.

The people here are very transactional and often look for their own interests. When I was interviewing here, I emailed a designer on another team to ask about her interview process and her take on the culture- only to get back a reply that I should "consider what I could offer her in return" for her giving this information and that I should "think about what I'm asking for before emailing her" and that she was "tired of getting emails asking for favors without any returns". That should have been a red flag as this was very indicative of the silo culture here- asking for any help from any team that isn't yours will warrant a cold response, if any at all- and often to get any help you need to pull favors. Perhaps it's just the size of the company itself, but to me it's never felt very collaborative.

The company is very frugal and when I was in the offer stage, my particular recruiter was very, very pushy about asking for my old salary and as a result, my offered salary was much lower than that of peers in my same role and level, even after negotiating up another 5k. I have some suspicions that there is a fairly large pay gap between women and POC because of the way they recruit.

Also, your experience will vary widely depending on which department you are in. If you aren't in the department working on all of the software products, you don't get the same perks: we don't get any catered food, we don't have a winter holiday party, and we generally don't get invited to the celebrations the product departments host.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. There's been overwhelming bad feedback about the latest sales model. Make a stronger effort to unite designers within orgs. Train recruiters on better recruiting strategies and better ways to equalize the pay across company; focus on diversifying candidate pool; instill a better culture of communication by introducing tools and methods for communicating; incentivize cross-company collaboration, so that employees feel loyalty not to just their teams but to the company as a whole; create a safer space for employees to feel comfortable calling out discrimination and improvements in processes. I really wanted to love this company, as I was once a customer and user of several of their products, but it's been a very discouraging journey.

7. "I work well with other easy to get along with and drive on success"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Killeen, TX

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I want to grow and show off my potential and grow sales and lead to success I can lead my Team there and I'm not afraid to work with them not just tell them what to do

Cons

I love a challenge I have been though a lot in my manger Day but I would no trade it in for nothing I go into work mode and get the job done

Advice to Management

It's a Team effort

8. "Doing all the Right Things"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is going through transformation to a subscription business better than expected. Great products and really smart people on the team.

Cons

Going through the business change means that compensation for the sales team needs to be realigned for success. Make sure you hold onto strong people.

Advice to Management

Investing in employee development was one of the best parts of working here.

9. "Excellent Company and Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Competitive base salary plus yearly bonus.
    * Six weeks paid sabbatical every four years of employment in the US.
    * Good benefits
    * Work-life balance
    * Great products and services
    * Moving up-up-up
    * Growth opportunities
    * Collaborate with colleagues located globally.
    * Cool technology
    * People. Working with intelligent people who at the same time are down-to-earth. Not much of an ego generally.
    * Flexible.
    * Most in the leadership roles encourage people to grow and does not micro-manage. They trust and respect individual contributions and opinions.

* Nice offices.
    * The company will provide what you need to get the job done.
    * Lots of opportunities to learn, but you will need to learn to focus and prioritize, if not, it can get overwhelming.

* Allowance to go to the gym.

Cons

* Some who are in leadership and management roles are questionable. Good thing it is not a common thing.

* You will need to find the right people and department in order to move up. With so many employees and people pushing to move up, you can easily be lost. Knowing the right people and being in the organization that supports growth will help.

* Salary increases above 3% is difficult to achieve. You will need to move to a different role or leave to get a much better bump-up in the salary. The good thing is that the salary is quite competitive in the market so it is not completely on the losing end.

* Silos everywhere.
    * For a company transitioning to Cloud services so customers can collaborate easily anytime and anywhere - the strategy of co-locating employees can be contradicting. It does makes sense but some good people were forced out because of this.

* * Just being spoiled. An increase with the yearly gym allowance would be nice. Although it is more than enough for most gyms, it is certainly not enough if one wants to join other gyms with Mixed Martial Arts or Sports Clubs with more amenities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.
    Since Autodesk is transitioning its business model and truly want to become a more customer focused company, it will help to compensate those who are directly working with customers much better and not just those in sales.

Otherwise, this is a great place to work and I am proud to be a part of it.

"good company, substandard salaries"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- work life balance, unless you end up working in some no-go teams, but in general a family friendly company
    - people are pretty good, approachable and smart.
    - good benefits and a 6 week sabbatical on top (if you hold on for 4 years)

Cons

- Salaries in engineering well below average.
    - Overall lack of expertise on strategic topics like cloud and scale primarily because of the company's roots as a desktop product company.
    - Politics often gets in the way, teams slow, very siloed
    - Strict rules hindering and limiting internal mobility. On switching teams usually cannot renegotiate compensation or otherwise.
    - Depends on teams but internal training is rare

Advice to Management

Adjust comp to market rates, encourage internal mobility, do away with the dumb rules preventing folks trying out new teams

Showing 1,198 of 1,403 reviews