Autodesk Reviews | Glassdoor

1,155 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,155 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is always depends on the person (in 209 reviews)

• You can work from home anytime you need to and every 4 years you have the sabbatical: 6 weeks of paid vacation (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to get promoted to Director and establish upward career path, hard to maintain decent work/life balance esp (in 34 reviews)

• Much of the culture change being pushed with the business transformation is not being accepted at the middle management tier (in 42 reviews)

"Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and exciting technology

Cons

Highly political sales organization. Merit increases a challenge due to HR policy around internal transfers. Limited mobility.

"Big ship trying to turn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits.
    Modern, well located office in downtown San Francisco.
    Overall strong portfolio of products.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

The shift to a "subscription" business is only in the best interests of the company, not customers.
    Way too many re-organizations of the business. I worked for 5 different managers in only 3 years.
    The company is trying to be nimble and disrupt like a startup, but $2+ billion company takes a long time to implement significant change.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant re-organizations. It kills all momentum, and makes employees dread the "next" one.
    Keep the CUSTOMER first. Stop doing what you think is best for the stock price, and do what customers want. The stock price will follow.

"A Generally Great workplace compared to most!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here because it encourages very admirable values and you have excellent opportunities for exploring your career as well, should you determine that you are not best suited in the field you were hired into.

Cons

The overall company is amazing, but there are still some leaders that try to micromanage their employees for non-performance related reasons. This is not uncommon due to employees historically abusing freedom, but it can be stressful for employees that are hardworking and would benefit from being trusted more.

Advice to Management

Please try to consider that some employees might benefit from flex schedules due to family and health reasons. We will work nights and weekends as needed to get the work done. Work-life balance isn't just about what you do after 5pm and on the weekends, or about taking a vacation once or twice a year. I'd gladly skip all vacations if it just meant that I could spend an extra day once a week working remotely so that I could take care of my children's doctor's appointments, make sure that I got my doctor's appts taken care of and just basically be more productive due to one less day of 2+ hour each way commuting. San Francisco housing prices are absurdly high, and we don't all live there as a result.

"Really enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- 6 week sabbatical every four years
    - great support and regular communication from direct managers
    - reasonable work/life balance
    - extra paid "week of rest" at xmas
    - generally very positive culture

Cons

- departments work in silos. not very good cross-company communication. people re-inventing the same wheel
    - reasonable company strategy/vision, but it doesn't seem to percolate through to the various lower levels of the organization. Again, seems like everyone's sortof doing whatever.

Advice to Management

Steal some _senior_ exec and engineering people from the big internet companies, and listen to what they have to say.

5. "Overall great place to work, would recommend to friends"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked from home so take my review with a grain of salt. The pay is good, the benefits are fantastic, and working from home really is a game changer. Most of my coworkers were friendly as well, at least as friendly as you can be over skype.

Cons

A lot of the self improvement initiatives that Autodesk offers are really only available in person so unless you live near one of their major offices, mainly their West coast office in the US, you won't have access to those opportunities. The inter-department communication could be better as I saw a fair bit of inefficiencies arise from a lack of shared goals between teams and thus dependencies across teams resulted in bottlenecks.

Advice to Management

Just make sure teams that are dependent on each other have their goals more aligned so helping another team doesn't feel like you're hamstringing your own team.

"Management has no vision, idea or direction"

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to love working here. Immediate reporting managers were helpful, understanding and even open. Benefits are always good. Some lucky organizations inside Autodesk are still fun to work with.

Cons

Management doesn't have a vision, plan or direction. New managers assigned think that they are rock stars but lack minimal patience to understand any underlying issue. And over that, management is lethargic

"Comfortable place"

Former Employee - Industry Strategy Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Industry Strategy Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, comfortable, flexible work environment

Cons

sometimes hard to stay motivated, hard to get things done (layers and layers of management), constant re-orgs

Advice to Management

demotivating to see the same people that have been with the company forever switch to jobs that do not make sense after every re-org. re-organizations are disruptive and having them so often gets old fast

"Invention, innovation & hubris"

Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was introduced to the company, I met the best product manager of my career and he introduced me to some truly amazing people. Working at Autodesk is something I'll never forget, having found it a great learning experience with access to powerful resources and potential. I am proud of earning a design invention patent with the CTO's R&D team.

Cons

A few of the downsides of working at Autodesk include navigation of the corporate structure, HR "business partners" and old dogs. This is a huge company and thus, unweildy and backwards in some respect to process and practice. The risk of "getting left behind" is real. Human resources are anything but and most doggedly focused on the bottom line, often at the employees' expenses. Those with long company careers are resistant to change, un-relatable and mediocre if not derelict managers.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make human impact inside and out of the company real. Update old practices to the best. Stop resisting change and embrace the agile, ever evolving world.

"Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The SF office is really nice; there are gyms, standing desk, walking desk, etc.
    They provide snacks, coffee, water.
    The benefits are good (health insurance, 401K, ESPP).
    If you are at the SF office you are close to Bart.
    The pay is just okay.
    The CEO and CFO seem like a cool guys and both seem very intelligent (I haven't worked with them personally).

Cons

The culture is more about watching your own back and promoting yourself in finance. Very political organization. Broken financial systems with incomplete data. Be prepared for managers to talk about you in front of you and behind closed doors. Little room for advancement. There is no training on how to perform in your job role, and limited regular training opportunities. Management will tell you learn from the mistakes you make. This conflicts, because the moment you do make a mistake management may hold it against you. Do whatever you can not to make any mistakes. A lot of people lack in the soft skills department. Depending on what role you take determines your work-life balance. I am left to wonder if the C-suite have any idea of what its like to be low on the totem poll in this company.

"Not exactly what they like you to think"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flex work at home in many groups, loved learning about new technology uses for their products, great benefits

Cons

be prepared for constant re-orgs and layoffs, you can't trust that doing a good job will ensure your future at your job

Advice to Management

stability and employee loyalty would make for a better work place

Showing 1,155 of 1,339 reviews