Autodesk Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Autodesk CEO Andrew Anagnost
Andrew Anagnost

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is always depends on the person (in 211 reviews)

• You can work from home anytime you need to and every 4 years you have the sabbatical: 6 weeks of paid vacation (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours - no work life balance - no organisation from the management and no training on arrival (in 35 reviews)

• Much of the culture change being pushed with the business transformation is not being accepted at the middle management tier (in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work/Life Balance + Opinions Matter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and flexibility when needed
    Opportunity to voice concerns or ideas and management listens and helps to determine ways to bring the ideas to life
    People are genuinely nice and always willing to help or point in the right direction

Cons

Many people don't know how cool or awesome Autodesk is so there's a gap when trying to explain

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the Autodesk Brand and culture!

2. "Doing all the Right Things"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is going through transformation to a subscription business better than expected. Great products and really smart people on the team.

Cons

Going through the business change means that compensation for the sales team needs to be realigned for success. Make sure you hold onto strong people.

Advice to Management

Investing in employee development was one of the best parts of working here.

"Great mission, but hard journey"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company mission is super inspiring, and genuinely strives towards making the world a better place
    - Lot of awesome initiatives happening with biotech & research
    - Lot of work life balance
    - Lot of opportunities for volunteer work and extracirricular activities!
    - Super convenient location by BART
    - Lot of general facility perks, such as onsite gym and access to Pier 9 - I've lasercut a lot of stuff for side projects :)
    - Highly encourages making and you have access to the software for free
    - Company is pretty much the leader in a lot of the software we offer, so there's bragging rights :)
    - Lots of very smart, diverse, incredible people here! It's been incredibly humbling to work here.

Cons

This company is an old, old ship. A lot of the folks here have been here forever (10+ years) and are rooted in dated processes, unwilling to take feedback from new employees, until the new employees either quit or stay long enough to get absorbed in all those dated processes. As a younger employee, this can be intimidating - an older employee, who I introduced myself to in the kitchen one day, offhandedly told me that I probably wouldn't make it to the 4-year mark, as "millenials are noncommittal".

As a designer, the work depends (understandably) on what team you're on- but being a part of a big company, you will be siloed, and a lot of the work won't be sexy visually. There's currently been a movement towards creating global UI guidelines but it's taken a very, very long time to develop and the team that is working on it hasn't permeated all of the design teams yet, it feels that any one team within the company doesn't have much reach across orgs.

Generally not a huge design culture here - we host a lot of design events for the public, but internally, design thinking is still relatively new to non-designers and pushing that has been a challenge. The designers feel very disconnected, and there's often duplicate efforts happening and not a lot of communication. There have been efforts to bring us together; we have designer all-hands, but it feels that the original gusto has worn off. The company is very numbers and sales driven, and at times so ambitiously so that it costs our reputation with our customers; often I've felt the way we sell and bundle our products undermines our customer experience.

Some teams do not value or put as much budget into research, or sometimes that research will be introduced too late in the pipeline for any significant design changes to be made before getting rushed into development.

The people here are very transactional and often look for their own interests. When I was interviewing here, I emailed a designer on another team to ask about her interview process and her take on the culture- only to get back a reply that I should "consider what I could offer her in return" for her giving this information and that I should "think about what I'm asking for before emailing her" and that she was "tired of getting emails asking for favors without any returns". That should have been a red flag as this was very indicative of the silo culture here- asking for any help from any team that isn't yours will warrant a cold response, if any at all- and often to get any help you need to pull favors. Perhaps it's just the size of the company itself, but to me it's never felt very collaborative.

The company is very frugal and when I was in the offer stage, my particular recruiter was very, very pushy about asking for my old salary and as a result, my offered salary was much lower than that of peers in my same role and level, even after negotiating up another 5k. I have some suspicions that there is a fairly large pay gap between women and POC because of the way they recruit.

Also, your experience will vary widely depending on which department you are in. If you aren't in the department working on all of the software products, you don't get the same perks: we don't get any catered food, we don't have a winter holiday party, and we generally don't get invited to the celebrations the product departments host.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. There's been overwhelming bad feedback about the latest sales model. Make a stronger effort to unite designers within orgs. Train recruiters on better recruiting strategies and better ways to equalize the pay across company; focus on diversifying candidate pool; instill a better culture of communication by introducing tools and methods for communicating; incentivize cross-company collaboration, so that employees feel loyalty not to just their teams but to the company as a whole; create a safer space for employees to feel comfortable calling out discrimination and improvements in processes. I really wanted to love this company, as I was once a customer and user of several of their products, but it's been a very discouraging journey.

4. "Excellent Company and Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Competitive base salary plus yearly bonus.
    * Six weeks paid sabbatical every four years of employment in the US.
    * Good benefits
    * Work-life balance
    * Great products and services
    * Moving up-up-up
    * Growth opportunities
    * Collaborate with colleagues located globally.
    * Cool technology
    * People. Working with intelligent people who at the same time are down-to-earth. Not much of an ego generally.
    * Flexible.
    * Most in the leadership roles encourage people to grow and does not micro-manage. They trust and respect individual contributions and opinions.

* Nice offices.
    * The company will provide what you need to get the job done.
    * Lots of opportunities to learn, but you will need to learn to focus and prioritize, if not, it can get overwhelming.

* Allowance to go to the gym.

Cons

* Some who are in leadership and management roles are questionable. Good thing it is not a common thing.

* You will need to find the right people and department in order to move up. With so many employees and people pushing to move up, you can easily be lost. Knowing the right people and being in the organization that supports growth will help.

* Salary increases above 3% is difficult to achieve. You will need to move to a different role or leave to get a much better bump-up in the salary. The good thing is that the salary is quite competitive in the market so it is not completely on the losing end.

* Silos everywhere.
    * For a company transitioning to Cloud services so customers can collaborate easily anytime and anywhere - the strategy of co-locating employees can be contradicting. It does makes sense but some good people were forced out because of this.

* * Just being spoiled. An increase with the yearly gym allowance would be nice. Although it is more than enough for most gyms, it is certainly not enough if one wants to join other gyms with Mixed Martial Arts or Sports Clubs with more amenities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.
    Since Autodesk is transitioning its business model and truly want to become a more customer focused company, it will help to compensate those who are directly working with customers much better and not just those in sales.

Otherwise, this is a great place to work and I am proud to be a part of it.

5. "Great people. Nice culture."

Current Intern - Software Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Software Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are super friendly and highly approachable. Work is done seriously but work culture makes it comfortable to focus and enjoy things at work.

Cons

Teams of different products do autonomous work and are mostly segregated. It's harder to relate to mother brand of Autodesk.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the company forward. You are doing a great job!

"Great company to work"

Current Contractor - SDE-III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - SDE-III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture.
    Awesome office
    Good food

Cons

i do not have any cons to comment

7. "Fully disfunctional"

Former Contractor - QA Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor

Pros

The assignations were always clear on what was needed to be done and the times where these needed to be delivered.
    Freedom of creativity to develop the code on which you're working.

Cons

There's no knowledge share to contractors, everybody wants to gain job security by not sharing what they know.
    The status of the contract, either renew or not to be renewed is not disclosed until 1 week before it's end.
    Tickets and request to access sites or code can be unattended for months.
    The QA Process is completely ignored by development and products are pushed with defects.

8. "Facility Coordinator"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk (More than a year)

Pros

The Audtodesk culture makes working here a fun, initiative, and interesting place to be.

Cons

I have to take Bart to work and it takes me 1.5 hours to get to the office door to door

9. "FT Contract for 1.5 years"

Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The products are truly groundbreaking, and all of the projects that people use Autodesk software for (as seen in the gallery) are genuinely making the world a better place. Everyone here is incredibly nice, and work-life balance is great - you can work from home 1 day a week or more depending on which team you're on.

Cons

On the marketing team, things are slow to move because so many teams are involved. Launching a simple email campaign took longer than it should have - but they do a really thorough job.

Advice to Management

Find ways to make marketing more agile so Autodesk can continue to be a strong presence in the 3D design world.

"Hope something changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, flexible schedules though late or early calls if on global team. Some really cool products make it an inspiring company.

Cons

Absolutely suffocating politics that people try to pretend are not happening at high levels.

ICs go thru training on conflict but director and above leaders do not trust and do not give trust. Territorial, unclear goals, unbalanced workflows. We are losing good people because of this.

Advice to Management

Trust and collaboration start at the top. If VPs are the most political, how do you expect the rest of us to collaborate radically?

Showing 432 of 1,357 reviews