Automobile Association Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Automobile Association Executive Chairman Bob Mackenzie
Bob Mackenzie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Training was ok, but was for car insurance, not breakdown cover as I had been led to believe (in 4 reviews)

• Friendly staff (usually), big office, opportunity to take home a large bonus (but this also a negative as it causes conflict) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Brain numbing - call after call so repetitive (in 3 reviews)

• No career progression plan in place (in 3 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Advisor"

I worked at Automobile Association full-time

Pros

Great colleagues and the working environment is decent and the equipment seemed fairly reliable. Managers are quite approachable with minor exceptions

Cons

They've invested too much on a cheesy campaign to try and convince costumers to stay with the company. Hard to stay positive when every cell in your brain suggests otherwise.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more open and transparent with customer and call handlers should be rewarded more fairly.

2. "Worked like robots"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Oldbury, West Midlands, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Automobile Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues
    Many sections to move in to
    Learn a lot about vehicles

Cons

Worked like robots and expected to take call after call.
    Poor pay for hours and shifts you have to do.
    No room for progression, managers don't move on.

Advice to Management

Treat staff like humans

3. "Company gone downhill since Chris Jansen left"

Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I worked at Automobile Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary I receive is above average for the job I do. My chair spins... that's about it.

Cons

Will try to keep this brief:

-Very corrupt senior managers only interested where money or numbers are concerned

- Very little concern or care for the staff working on front line, customer service or complaints

- The CEO is a mysoginistic, old fashioned Brexit supporter who gets upset when he can't go fishing on a Monday (this must be very distressing for him)

- I have never known a company treat their customer service staff so poorly. And rather than try to train them they manage them out when they are no longer required or useful.

- My colleague was made to take holiday after his mother died despite our contracts saying otherwise, but don't worry because "courtesy and care" is the company motto!!

- the patrols do an amazing job but they too are often treated poorly by senior management, being forced to sell parts that aren't needed by the customers. And then get managed out.

Advice to Management

This is a huge company but you need to focus on what's best for staff and customers rather than cost cutting.

4. "Poor place to work - no development opportunities"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

Cons

management not interested in building up their teams potential, a lot of focus on targets rather than treating customers fairly.
    little benefits or perks with the job especially for long-standing staff.
    inflexible

Advice to Management

rather than focusing on the profits of the business, there should be more consideration for employees wellbeing and health. stress levels very high in the job.

5. "Business change analyst"

I worked at Automobile Association full-time

Pros

Ovérall good company to work.

Cons

No training
    No career growth opportunities
    Managers had no clue about their work.
    Micromanagement
    Timekeeping centric team

Advice to Management

Bring some knowledgeable people at middle management level

6. "No respect for staff!"

Former Employee - Breakdown Call Handler in Oldbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Breakdown Call Handler in Oldbury, England (UK)

I worked at Automobile Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can earn good money as a breakdown call taker when weather goes crazy (summer and snow). Usually plenty of overtime available. Good for short term work if u need to earn half decent amount if you want to put the hours in.

Cons

Brain numbing - call after call so repetitive! Management have their favourites. You will lose your monthly bonus if you need to use the toilet even once. Very harsh call centre environment at oldbury the new boss darron burness just wants to squeeze the life out of everyone. Generally a school type environment - noone treated or trusted as adults.

Advice to Management

Have respect for all your god damn staff. Call takers lose their bonus when taking a personal break so shouldn't everyone lose it including management when taking personal breaks? Oh hang on, I guess managers lives and health is more important than the call takers!

7. "Customer Service Executive"

I have been working at Automobile Association full-time

Pros

Best place to get experience.

Cons

Communication strategy and employees welfare.

Advice to Management

When you take good care of your employees, they will take good care of your clients.

"Business Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Automobile Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

London location is fantastic (Covent Garden)

Growing after many many years of underfunding and lack of investment.

Generally relaxed about where you work but that depends on your manager as some like to keep looking at your screen.

Cons

Basingstoke location is shockingly dated and depressing.

Flex working is technically on offer but in reality it is frowned upon.

They expect new starters to use their own laptops and work without network access while they take quite a long time to get you a work laptop. Due to the lack of investment there is a sense if playing catch up with the rest of the industry.

Many people there are obviously using the company as a short term stop gap to better things and as a result are desperate to leave their mark.

While some nice people are there many are hostile and aggressive, due to the lack of structure the person who shouts the loudest gets heard. There is a lot politics to deal with in the London office, many people talk about others behind their back while being all smile and friendly to their face (i'm sure many did this with me too). The saying "its who you know not what you know" rings very true in this place. If you work here you have to make sure you align yourself with the right senior managers, there are some head of departments that have a very alpha male attitude which they use as an excuse to bully individuals to get what they want. The guys at the top turn a blind eye "because thats what gets results" it also results in a high turn over of staff.

Some of the senior executive team are shockingly young and lack the experience to run departments with confidence and consistency to achieve their desired version.

Departments do not seem to communicate well and there is a failure to share knowledge between departments and project (this could be do to a lack of programme management in all departments). This leads chaos and many heated debates.

Advice to Management

Too much to list, refer to the cons list above.

"Walking contradiction"

Current Employee - New Business Sales in Cheadle, North West England, England (UK)

Pros

The resilience of the staff that are still here is admiral. A lot of us just waiting to retire now, we have lost the will to try and resist.
    The patrol men are excellent and are great at fixing cars

Cons

The higher management are faceless and only care about profit margins since launching us on the stock exchange
    They are making redundancies and letting the best people go.
    The company fronts itself as customer caring but this all goes out the window when money is involved. Timed toilet breaks as well as getting shouted at for speaking to the customer as a human, you have a set time your allowed to speak for and the departments boss will put pressure on his managers to reduce the time taken speaking to customers and increase the amount of money they spend per call
    Actively trained to try and trap customers into giving us payment details when they don't need to so we can capture them out at renewal
    They bring out new methods and processors to coach us around that seem great but after a week if the customer inst spending enough money with us because they are buying smaller packages we revert back to pressure tactics promoting products the customers either cant afford or likely can not benefit from
    Some managers think they own the place and just because their friends work in the higher management team and their teams get special treatment. They come in when they feel like it and if they have child care issues and need time off its fine for her but if we need the same support then it is none existent.
    The pension has a huge hole in it and the service and wages are being decreased to cover previous mis-management.
    The old manager of the department although now gone uses nights out to try and enhance relations within female members of staff plying them with alcohol and inviting them to hotels, this is really inappropriate and as a result I no longer attend. He has since moved into a new role.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you will, go back to putting the customers and staff first as it was what the business was built on.

10. "Would be great if wasnt over managed"

I worked at Automobile Association full-time

Pros

Overtime pay was great
    Lots of shift allowances
    Free membership

Cons

Over managed
    Too many targets risking safety of role
    Monitored on everything!