Autotrader Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sandy Schwartz

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a good work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Competition is catching up and upper management seems to be caught with their pants down (in 20 reviews)

"Dealer Concierge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and great co-worker's.

Cons

Management sucks! From top to bottom.

Advice to Management

Fire them all and start over.

"Losing direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible work if you are in the right dept. Pay is above average.

Cons

Operations division has no direction and chases every dime. Teams will work until midnight at the end of the month. Lack of strategic decision-making ability across all levels and various departments. Technically very far behind the industry standards. The replacement CEO and President are not visionary or motivational.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your long term growth, not the month over month collection. Focus a bit more on your high performing team members and heed the direction and advice from the front line employee.

"Dealer Analyst"

Current Employee - Dealer Analyst in Hampton, GA
    Current Employee - Dealer Analyst in Hampton, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Autotrader is a great company with excellent benefits. The fact that they are owned by Cox Enterprise is the driving factor. Some departments offer the opportunity to work from home and the laptops are supplied by the company.

Cons

The company is forever changing and it is not always for the better. I feel that in the 10 years that I have worked for Autotrader they have become so big it is no longer the employee caring company that it use to be.They are now only focused on numbers.

Advice to Management

Get back to the origin of caring about your employees and your customers. Great customer service to external as well as external customer is always key to a succesful outcome.

"Good Ole Boys Club!"

Current Employee - IT Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its ok - nice building in a prime area
    good benefits, at a relatively low premium
    Friendly respectful people

Cons

not a place you want to stay if you are competent or skilled. Stay if you are a con artists and just want to build relationships or be a politician

Advice to Management

Get a grip and stop talking about AGILE - it is just a Farce for a company of this size and with a culture centered purely around CYA

6. "Be Careful....."

Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting company....they used to be known for their honesty....

Cons

Management....never think that they won't screw you over

Advice to Management

tell the truth...PLEASE

"Good company weighed down by some in management"

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical and dental plan, decent PTO (if you can get the time away), nice facilities and eating options, covered parking. Salary was slightly above market for my position which I appreciated. Free coffee and discounted lunch within the facilities. Fairly easy access to 285 both coming in and leaving.

Cons

If you're of the aggressive mindset, you may do fine. There's a very competitive spirit within the corporate office. One where managers sometimes put the best interests of their people second to projects which don't warrant the urgency. Each team will be different but overall I see a similar "race to the top" mindset by management. More of a "ready fire aim" approach which doesn't always make the best use of limited time. There are some exceptional individual contributors who are great at what they do. They must get their motivation from the rare occasion they are recognized for their contributions. While the company does have an entire floor dedicated to learning, good luck getting the time away to improve yourself through these opportunities. Also they have a floor dedicated as a break room with TVs and video games. Again, good luck finding the time to utilize these benefits. One last point, I have a hard time accepting management calling people "resources" openly. I understand that's what we are, but be a bit more "human" please.

Advice to Management

Please look at how you really interact with your team. Develop them, don't just talk about it. Give them the time and space to do so. You have a great brand, but remember many others did at some point and fell from the top.

8. "Great people, but a lack of transparency or appreciation from management."

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of great people and personalities. Benefits are great.

Cons

Customer Operations department is all about numbers with little appreciation for individual contribution. Recent management changes have lead to uneasy environment with no work/life balance. Strict clock in times, break times, and shift bids contribute. Constant initiatives to show upper management appreciates employees and wants their opinions, but rarely are any changes put into place. Performance reviews are nonsense.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

"If you like repetitive tasks and netflix this job is for you"

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, fast internet, fancy break room you'll never have time to use. MARTA accessible. You can work from home part time. Community outreach. Amazingly talented people.

Cons

Here's the thing, for someone coming straight out of school this is a golden opportunity. Aside from all of the micro-managing, complete lack of creativity (except for on the corporate teams), and minimal career growth this is a great gig. It literally requires only enough brain power to answer emails, create the worst kind of advertisements you've ever seen, and watch netflix or hulu. No really, I caught up on so much online video content I ran out of things to watch.

Your hours shift depending on the timezones you serve, which can be a hassle if you enjoy having early evenings.

The culture they have is interesting but pretty weak. In my opinion, the company lost it's spark about 5 or 6 years ago. Now it's corporate juggernaut, that promotes on responsibility rather than ability.

If you've had a decent career and are looking at autotrader, stick to the corporate jobs, anything in the Web / Design / and IT departments is pretty much just killing time.

Advice to Management

Promote change in your organization, you have such potential to be Apple-Esque and be a major pillar in the Atlanta community, but you throw it away to keep the managers happy with controlling the bureaucracy.

The talent you have is completed wasted by red tape, needless meetings, and remote

I was incredibly excited to work at autotrader, and left counting my blessings for a better opportunity. While I was there, after having done the same thing everyday for months on end, the only glimmer of hope I had was hearing about how others had moved to corporate teams years before. What broke the camels back and sent me looking for new opportunities was finding out people in my department had in some cases been in the same position for 5 or 6 years and nothing truly on the horizon.

10. "Worse Company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company OVERALL is an OK place to work - depending on who you are.

Cons

Worse company "I" have ever worked for. I worked in the HR department and there is a lot of turnover and discord in the department starting with incompetence at the leadership level. AutoTrader started as a very small company and then grew over time. The individuals who started the organization as a vision from Cox all knew one another and everyone was promoted up the ranks extremely fast so there is an expectancy of promotion mentality. In addition, because of how the company came together and grew, it is EXTREMELY relationship based so everyone talks and things spread about your reputation (good or bad) sometimes to top leadership. There is disparity in promotion and in a particular department where most individuals are African American, they are barely represented in managment. If you're the type of person who likes to go into an organization and manage relationships with no particular skill set just to move up, this organization may be just the place for you...... It is the worse environment I ever worked in my entire professional career. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Look uf DIVERSITY in the dictionary and stop giving it feel good lip service. Hire people who are competent and promote based on the skills they bring to the table.

"They'll suck the life outta ya...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really am impressed by the above par professional training based on a person's needs. There are many ways to improve your professional self by going to ATC training or Cox-sponsored training. Also of note, they have leadership programs that are demanding, but well worth the time put into it.

Cons

VERY immature leadership.. from a "Manager" title all the way up to the "VP"... you can see it in the finger pointing and CYA culture. The stress level sucks the life out of you - much of which is originated from leaderships' insecurity in the management decisions they make.... also seemingly based upon the heavy politics and whether or not you are a favorite of some VP or Director. OH! Speaking of Directors... I firmly believe that ATC does not need the amount of Directors that are walking around the building CONSTANTLY in meetings to avoid real work. I've never worked for a company where there are so so so many Directors with no direct reports. Just sayin....

Advice to Management

Cut out the politics and wise up... maybe some of those acquisitions will actually work to the company's benefit.