Autotrader Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sandy Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a good work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Competition is catching up and upper management seems to be caught with their pants down (in 22 reviews)

1. "Dealer Success Consultant"

Former Employee - Dealer Success Consultant in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Dealer Success Consultant in Mobile, AL

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Product, Great people to work for.

Cons

Allowed competition to sneak up on them.

Advice to Management

Never stop listening to the people in the field.

"Advertising Consultant"

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, benefits, earning potential, upgraded technology, home office supplies provided. Make your own schedule. Timely expense reimbursements. Excellent on boarding process and training program. They roll out the red carpet for new hires.

Cons

Forecast driven, the needs of the employees are no longer a priority for the company every since Chip Perry left. They have been through 5 different CEO's, and have lost client trust. Tough product to sell because company is struggling with identity but continue to acquire other technology companies. No opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to uproot and move to another region.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites with dealer accounts it diminishes value. Learn to manage personalities not people and make the job fun. Sales is a highly stressful environment, the unnecessary added pressure only creates frustration. Be open to your ACs concerns. Don't bleed "Green" by dismissing market climates because the company says so. Fight for realistic expectations for your self as a DSM, and for your team as a region.

"My experience"

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good upper management latest technologies good work life balance

Cons

Middle management is really bad poor managers and management style made a lot of good employees to leave.

"They do not appreciate good employees"

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

used to be pay but too many acquisitions and the now cutting jobs to save money

Cons

decisions made so high they don't understand impact on employees or dealer customers. pay used to be good until this year, they keep changing pay plans and paying out less and less. putting too much work on those that are in the field.

Advice to Management

take more time to evaluate how your quick decisions are affecting your customers, you just got rid of a lot of great employees just to save money when they could have made you a lot of money

"Director"

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Compensation is above average

Cons

Revolving door executive leadership, with no strategy. Frequent acquisitions and mergers result in changes of direction and additional layers of management with no clue about the business

6. "Service Consultant"

I have been working at Autotrader full-time

Pros

Great PTO and benefits program

Cons

Company is in disarray currently

7. "cliquish"

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits for all employees

Cons

Don't appreciate dedicated employees

Advice to Management

Stop being cliquish and start valuing the resources that do the work, it's not all about money, it's about caring for your employees. Get ride of the bad weeds in product and program management .

"I started from 1998. When no one knew what Auto trader was"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love working with the dealers. I worked with them for 15 years

Cons

No matter how lucritive this job was the trade off was simply not worth it. Management wanted and did replace any employees over 30 did replace those that did not have blonde hair. Did replace those who did not drive New BMW s like they did. Once you get past that managent did not focus on the product and the client, it focused on spreadsheets and reports that were simply ridiculous. The focus was never on the product failure the focus was on who is getting targeted next from management to get them to quit. I watched more than 30 systematically get driven crazy then terminated for made up stories from management. I liken my many years with Auto trader to Scientology.

Advice to Management

There is nothing one could say to change that nightmare. Managers who need diversity training continually and who stalk female employees and threaten all the time and lure to hotel rooms simply cannot understand advice from
    Normal hard working honest people.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits are second to none.

Cons

The company has gone down hill continually since Chip was ousted as CEO back in 2012. Since then there has been too much focus on Cox Automotive and the individual brands have suffered. I hope things turn around for Autotrader the business, but I fear Autotrader's culture is long lost and people are just cogs in a machine nowadays. There's no loyalty to people that killed themselves and sacrificed family time to help get the company to where it is. . If you produce and are cheap/new to the company, you're probably safe for a little while longer.

Advice to Management

Wise up! Lose your egos and admit that the project failed. Autotrader thrived as a startup and set the standard for online automotive advertising. The company is now over-encumbered by bureaucracy that slows ingenuity. It's time to cowboy up once again.. and take some chances. Break away from the mothership (Cox) and create a new site for testing new stuff.. on a new lightweight platform.

10. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company culture is amazing. Employees are valued and treated like human beings. Everyone that I have encountered (a lot of people) have been so nice and courteous. The benefits are amazing including a month of vacation the first year and 9 paid holidays off. The management has been amazing and I can not say enough nice things about this company. I hope they stay this way.

Cons

Have not seen any yet.

Advice to Management

Please keep your treatment of employees going. It breeds loyalty and harder work.