Autotrader Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sandy Schwartz

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a good work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Competition is catching up and upper management seems to be caught with their pants down (in 20 reviews)

1. "Operations"

I worked at Autotrader full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance; opportunities within the Cox companies

Cons

Digital sales cycle needs improvement.

2. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - BI Senior Data Analyst/Process Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - BI Senior Data Analyst/Process Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great community service

Cons

Groups work in silo that reduces productivity

"West Division Employee Perspective"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am a District Sales Manager in the West Division and do not agree with the prior assertion that our VP is a bully. Amanda McCord is direct and sets the bar high; who wouldn't want that in a VP? She is fair and honest, and does a fine job walking that very difficult line between advocating for her people and advocating for the organization. I have found her to be empathetic and supportive, and also to have high expectations for the people who report up line to her. Cox Automotive has very open channels for addressing and resolving grievances, and it's my opinion that bringing the fight to social media, if your real goal is to resolve outstanding frustrations (rather than to malign someone personally), is a mistake. I do not share the opinions of our VP, and would feel comfortable addressing her in person if I had differences of opionion with her.

Cons

None for the context of this entry.

Advice to Management

Keep evaluating our value proposition and our place in this very competitive landscape. Solicit feedback from the field (markets across the country) and feedback as to how to address the day to day challenges we encounter in the field.

"Additional West Coast Review"

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for. I am currently going through something tough medically and the leadership has been so supportive. The VP Amanda McCord has been especially supportive. There are not many companies out there that look out for their employees the way Cox/AutoTrader does. Most managers wouldn't encourage you to take more time to heal. Usually they want to know how quickly you will come back. Ms. McCord isn't even my direct manager. She is 3 levels above me and still took the time to make sure to offer to help in any way. We make our own schedule, have lots of paid time off, great pay, and supportive leadership. There are high expectations, but I understand them. Of course this is somewhat in response to a previous review. I feel it is important to know many employees' perspective.

Cons

There are a lot of changes coming that will cause some growing pains. For the right person this is an exciting time, but it is a lot to handle.

Advice to Management

Train the ACs on everything! We want to learn our new products quickly.

6. "Great parent company, stressful goals"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cox auto is a great company to work for, great vacation and 401k and healthcare.

Cons

High pressure sales jobs- if you don't make your goals you are under scrutiny

7. "Pricing Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Pricing Research Analyst in Union City, GA
    Former Employee - Pricing Research Analyst in Union City, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Dress code is relaxed and they take care of their employees

Cons

Pay has been known to be on the low end

"AC Sales"

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant

Pros

Flexible hours if your boss isn't emailing you at all hours, Pension if you can make it that long, always changing but not in a good way.

Cons

For a company that claims and speaks of values and culture they have none. Management and HR are bullies. There is no tenure in sales any longer due to the high turn over. No chance of advancement. Mind numbing environment of working with broken systems and people that don't care enough to even try to make an excuse. Comp plan changes every 6 months. Charge back system that makes you financially responsible for money you didn't sell or were ever paid on. Sr. management up to Sandy are clueless. They see the media business as a cash cow and its people including the clients as nothing more than expense or profit. AutoTrader.com is a print company pretending to be a tech company and stopped innovating when they found they could just cash checks. Dealers are cancelling at a high rate due to this so there is no way to hit the high budgets they set fort. Work life balance is a 0, and I mean you can take an office day if you want but you are on call 24/7 and if you aren't expect an upset boss or client. AC's are working on nights, weekends and holidays. Watch out when they say no nights, weekends or holidays.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your people and I mean your field people.

"Manager Sales Strategy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time

Pros

The parent company Cox Communications had above average company benefits. While employed I has an opportunity to work on multiple projects impacting multiple departments.

Cons

Career advancement was heavily shaped by political alignments and "yes men/women" faired better than those who preferred a "tell it like it is" approach to problem & opportunity solving.

Advice to Management

Consider the views Japanese model where your solution and problem identification starts by weighing heavily the views and opinions of the people in the field and customer interface positions. Too much executive decision making without the facts resulted in various product changes and sales roll outs that ultimately hurt the company through depleted dealer confidence and negative impact on profitability.

10. "Advertising Consultant"

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be very lucrative. Benefits okay and time off nice as well.

Cons

Management from top down disconnected with front line employees. Lack of communication and failing to stay competitive.

Advice to Management

Be more open minded and know that your veterans old school way of thinking can hold you back.

11. "Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company with generally good management. Environment is generally stable with occasional upheaval. Low turnover in development team. Contractors are treated fairly.

Cons

Like many organizations this size there is politics. If you end up under the proper manager and director life can be good. Otherwise things can be tough.