Avago Technologies Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Hock E. Tan
  1. "Good Tech Company"

Current Employee - Expert IC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life Balance and good compensation

Cons

No telecommuting and not much vacation for new employees

Avago Technologies2014-06-08

"The worst CEO centric company I have ever seen. CEO always talks about himself as the main reason for company success."

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You should feel good.If you survive the brutal business model of do more with less and less until CEO can buy another company and lays you off.

Cons

With Hack Tan as CEO, there is no passion for organic R&D since he is always looking to buy mature companies where he can cut cost and milk it as long as he can.

Avago Technologies2016-01-30

"Stingy, but competitive"

Senior IC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies for more than 5 years

Pros

Good, skilled people to work with. Company is growing. Stock awards have grown. Donuts and coffee are provided at work. Local recreation center (shared with HP).

Cons

Base salary seems low. Poor planning of physical placement of people. Cuts to workforce are deep during acquisitions. Too many requirements for people left.

Advice to Management

Low-level management has little say in anything, which should change. Division-level management accepts top-level requirements with little push-back.

Avago Technologies2015-11-19

"very political environment"

Former Employee - Senior IC Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time

Pros

the stock price is good and the company is growing

Cons

1, Benefit is bad. There's no perk other than 401k 2, very political and finger pointing environment. If you are unlucky and led by a bad manager, life will be very tough and uneasy. Job security is not high. If the manager is unhappy about you, you may be let go. 3, lots of old people in wireless division. Other than the filter technology, circuit design knowledge is very old. the main design team is at Korea... and not many profitable projects at San Jose In a word, if you have a better opportunity at apple, google, join them.

Avago Technologies2015-11-22

"I'm so happy that I'm moving on to another (better) job very soon!"

Current Employee - IC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only if you or your dad is a big investor to this company -- their stock prices are moving up these days.

Cons

This is a company that considers R&D professionals as liabilities instead of assets. It doesn't work like a technology company. Instead it is like an Asian sweat shop run by ruthless accountants.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say about the management. Don't work here if you are an engineer!

Avago Technologies2015-03-28

"Avago masquerades as a tech company"

Current Employee - IC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good bonuses. A lot of good people haven't left yet.

Cons

Avago wants to be a private equity firm: buy up companies, rip them up, squeeze all the profits out, and ignore the long term. No investment in future technology, no investment in employees' careers.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing - I'm sure Wall Street will love it and you'll be very succesful. My advice to employees wanting a career in technology: get out now.

Avago Technologies2015-01-04

"Not the place to work as a young engineer"

ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Good company to work for if you want a an engineering job where you do next to no work and collect a paycheck. There's amazing work/life balance because you'll likely work only 25-30 hours per week since there is no work to do.

Cons

The business model of Avago Technologies is to purchase mature businesses and then drive them into the ground through extremely aggressive layoffs, R&D cuts, and project cuts. The CEO has said himself that he does not care what we sell, he does not care about his employees, and he does not care about engineering. All he cares about is making the AVGO stock price go up. Avago does this by purchasing mature... businesses and then running them 40-60% cheaper, effectively running them into the ground but turning massive operating profit. How do you run a successful and established business 40-60% cheaper? You layoff half the work-force, you cut all projects, you cut benefits, and you put a "hold" on promotions and raises. My company LSI was purchased by Avago about a year ago now. I've been told that I have absolutely no opportunity to move up in the company and that I will not get a salary raise for the next 3-5 years. This is because I make significantly more money than other entry level engineers in Avago, so they need to "even me out". I would not recommend working for Avago under any circumstance, especially if you're a new engineer like me. This is not a company that is established on cutting edge products, hard work, and good engineers. It is established on cannibalizing businesses and conglomerating them into one company to make the magic investing equation "1+1=3" work.

Avago Technologies2014-12-20

"CMOS ASIC Design Center in Ft. Collins"

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Comfortable office with a few nice bene's. Dates for deliverables clearly identified. Yearly bonus is generous.

Cons

Performance review is a joke - does not reflect employee's (required) self-evaluation; does not include goals set by employee. No salary increase for (5+) years citing "industry standards." But after a recent merger, it was learned that Avago paid well under what other companies paid. Forced to take new assignment well outside of field of expertise. Middle management are simply the ditch-diggers for upper management... who don't value employees as persons. Layoffs involve persons over 50 almost exclusively. Work-life balance is a catch-phrase (only). Emails from customers, coworkers and managements at all times of the day, night, and weekends, suggest that 100% dedication weekdays is not nearly enough. Middle management does not have an independent thought - merely reflecting what upper managers dictate without any pushback. Outsourcing many jobs.

Advice to Management

Consider an employee's background and interests when making assignments. Listen to employee's suggestions during performance review. Worst HR of any company I've ever worked for and not effective. Taking HR-mandidated training several times per year is not a replacement for a staffed HR department. Staff up HR and make it a real investment instead of token place-holder for handling layoffs.

Avago Technologies2014-11-10
  9. "Ok company, ok outlook, ok benefit and compensation"

Current Employee - Senior IC Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Midsize to big company, will not go bankrupted anytime soon

Cons

Subpar benefits, company too focused on operating margins rather than retaining employees

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the compensation they deserved!

Avago Technologies2014-06-25

"Since Avago took over LSI, it's a mess. It's a bad fit for such different technology companies (Avago and LSI)"

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Bonuses of original Avago rumored to be OK in good years. Since people are put off with the new no working from home rule, everyone is only working 8 hour days, including night calls, and that has created a lot more family time and less email.

Cons

Hock Tan acts like a spoiled kid with a god complex. His first move was to 100% eliminate all work-from-home. He didn't realize the number of extra hours that LSI employees put in dealing with work groups spread round the-world and in multiple time zones. When it seemed that employees didn't adopt the new policy right away, he asked HR to begin daily reports of employees badging in versus vacation days. You'd... swear he thought he was running some Singaporean Sweat Shop or something instead of a leading edge semiconductor company with salaried professionals. Vacation cutbucks of about 5 days for ex-LSI people are imminent. He stopped all LSI sabbatical benefits earned but not used. He's giving them cash instead of time off. Pay is frozen for ex-LSI. All of the management is afraid to contradict him. Employee moral is way lower since the takeover. People's extra work hours are rapidly scaling back affecting schedules. I predict a large exodus if things don't change within a month. It looks like our organization may be sold off. We're hoping for that so we can get out of here. What an great place LSI was!

Advice to Management

Hock needs to go. All levels of management fear him and can't say anything (or he'll fire them). Best move would be to have the board can Hock and put a real "leader" in charge of the company. All other senior managers need to take a stand for their employees. Otherwise there won't be any experienced employees to fulfill the future workload. You can't run a technology company with just cheap new college kids that... can't find another job.

Avago Technologies2014-06-21