Avago Technologies Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Hock E. Tan
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice pay, bonus and work environment

Cons

Teams are spread too thin.

Advice to Management

Think long term and invest on future products

Avago Technologies2014-11-12
  2. "Firmware Engineer"

Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Avago Technologies for more than a year

Pros

Part of small team with good cooperation and purpose. Overall, company had profit sharing and was growing. My experience was good and I learned a lot, mostly because the team I worked with was supportive in giving their time.

Cons

Few extra resources for training or equipment. We got by, but it felt lean.

Avago Technologies2016-03-27

"Very aggressive, sole focus is stock price"

Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies for more than 3 years

Pros

very aggressive, highly focused on stock price, not always a bad thing. Good processes, very fast actions.

Cons

People don't matter. Buying lots of companies and laying off lots of people from bought and original company. Singapore based. There is no income tax there.

Advice to Management

Treat people as assets,

Avago Technologies2015-07-16

"Avago's Purchase of LSI Really Trashed It"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

LSI had decent facilities, and I had my own dedicated set of a great deal of top-of-the-line test equipment. The best part about LSI was the benefits package. They had good annual bonuses, very good medical coverage, and LSI "contributed" $2K to cover any deductibles.

Cons

At least in the facility I was in (Mendota Heights, MN), there was an overly strict head-count for management and for the top technical ranks. So, people that were deserving could not get promotions, and there were "managers" that were having to do the role without really having the authority because they weren't official managers. But, the biggest problem with LSI now is that an overseas company: Avago bought... them out. Avago puts half the percentage of revenue into R&D as LSI did, plus they considered the business unit we were in as a "cash cow". As a result, they laid off essentially the entire R&D staff. A lot of really talented engineers were lost. Also, Avago is a very cheap company. Everything is done on the cheap, so the benefits administration is horrible, etc. (All my ratings are for the current setup (Avago), not for what LSI was like when I was there.)

Advice to Management

If you don't want to invest in LSI's disk preamps, then spin them off and let them thrive on their own, like they were before you bought it.

Avago Technologies2015-06-08

"Uncertainty prevails after multiple mergers and sell offs"

Software Test Engineer

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

Decent benefits , work/life balance stable work force till the mergers and acquisitions last year Good variety of technology

Cons

No direction of where the company is heading. is it only about the stock price now? Employees not excited to work there. Fear of layoffs loom large Too much central control in decisions Benefits not as good as they were with LSI

Advice to Management

Need to build employee moral . All we hear is speculations and who is next to go

Avago Technologies2015-05-07

"Quality work but low quality middle management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The quality of work is good, especially if you get to work on the PCI-e side of storage. More and more semiconductor companies are moving towards NVMe, and especially with Intel's interest in it, PCI-e is the future of data center storage. 2. Company is doing extremely well. The stocks reached 148 USD/unit after the announcement of Q4 results. 3. As a consequence of point no.2, Avago is a a very good... paymaster. 4. The benefits offered by Avago are very good. Cab facilities, food card, medical insurance, security deposit, etc. are quite attractive.

Cons

1. Inept middle management. After the acquisition of LSI, hiring of managers from other companies was stalled for some time. During this period, some very incapable people were promoted as managers. Such managers not only have very limited technical expertise, but are also bearers of poor professional wisdom. 2. Talent retention. Avago is facing a hard time retaining good employees. Since acquisition of LSI, PLX... and Emulex, a lot of good people have left, mainly due to uncertainties associated with a M&A. 3. No extra-curricular activities. Apart from some outings few and far, there are hardly any recreational activities left any more in the Avago facility. Even if one starts going to gym or to play TT or foos-ball, eventually he stops due to non-supportive attitude of the management. 4. Work-life balance. If the manager is incapable, he is bound to make unrealistic schedules due to improper scoping. This in turn puts in a lot of pressure at the level of the engineer, since he has no choice but to adhere to them and this makes sure that the work-life balance goes for a toss. Even though there is no official Work-From-Home policy in Avago, it is very common to carry work home since the deadlines are too tight,

Advice to Management

Kindly weed out incapable and unprofessional managers. People don't leave companies, they leave managers. The senior managers should have more frequent all-hands and 1-1 meetings with the engineers, to get a general pulse of the team. Avago has lot of potential but for a company to grow, employee satisfaction is very important.

Avago Technologies2016-01-27