Avago Technologies Staff Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 5 reviews

2.5
Avago Technologies CEO Hock E. Tan
Hock E. Tan

"Avago's Purchase of LSI Really Trashed It"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

LSI had decent facilities, and I had my own dedicated set of a great deal of top-of-the-line test equipment. The best part about LSI was the benefits package. They had good annual bonuses, very good medical coverage, and LSI "contributed" $2K to cover any deductibles.

Cons

At least in the facility I was in (Mendota Heights, MN), there was an overly strict head-count for management and for the top technical ranks. So, people that were deserving could not get promotions, and there were "managers" that were having to do the role without really having the authority because they weren't official managers. But, the biggest problem with LSI now is that an overseas company: Avago bought... them out. Avago puts half the percentage of revenue into R&D as LSI did, plus they considered the business unit we were in as a "cash cow". As a result, they laid off essentially the entire R&D staff. A lot of really talented engineers were lost. Also, Avago is a very cheap company. Everything is done on the cheap, so the benefits administration is horrible, etc. (All my ratings are for the current setup (Avago), not for what LSI was like when I was there.)

Advice to Management

If you don't want to invest in LSI's disk preamps, then spin them off and let them thrive on their own, like they were before you bought it.

Avago Technologies2015-06-08

"Ruthless"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product line. Give out good stock options to employees

Cons

The CEO has absolutely no conscience and is only interested in money. Employees are just commodities, who can be disposed off at the expense of improving the gross margins by 0.1%. The rest of the folks end up working 60 hrs +, just so managemt can snooze in Hawaii. Not a place for employment if you want a peace of mind. The review process is a pisaing contest which pits colleagues against each other so that they... get ranked higher. During this time, the productivity really suffers and hurts the company profitability.

Advice to Management

Get rid of employee stacking. Reward employees with better health benefits

Avago Technologies2014-05-29
  3. "Good work place"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Pune

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life Balance. Fast growth in Stocks price.

Cons

Does not encourage Telecommuting. (WFH)

Advice to Management

None

Avago Technologies2017-08-01

"Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Variable pay (Annual bonus and RSUs) is very good and does not count in the CTC that is shown. Stock price has more than doubled in the 1.5 yrs since LSI acquisition. Good performers are paid extremely well and not-so-good ppl are shown the door. Very decisive management

Cons

India center is treated as an outsourcing office unlike in LSI where we were treated as equals. Work-life balance doesn't exist. Work from Home is discouraged but you have to work after official working hours.

Advice to Management

LSI India was an equal partner of LSI US, treat them as equals and not as outsourced contractors who know nothing. Lot of senior employees in India are feeling bored with the stupid work that comes here. The only reason they are staying is the crazy variable pay. If you reduce it after Broadcom acquisition, people are going to quit in droves.

Avago Technologies2015-11-07
  5. "good"

Staff Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Quality of work is good.

Cons

Employee benefits are some what less.

Avago Technologies2015-10-28