Avago Technologies "lsi" Reviews | Glassdoor

Avago Technologies Employee Reviews about "lsi"

Updated Sep 19, 2019

2.9
Avago Technologies CEO Hock E. Tan
Hock E. Tan
Pros
  • "Fast work environment, smart people(in 19 reviews)

• "The company does support its employees and allow them freedom to do thier best work with a good work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is not a R&D or a cutting edge product development company any more; just focused on increasing margins(in 15 reviews)

• "Some excellent people left after the LSI acquisition and Broadcom acquisition(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "lsi"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Electrical Engineer"

in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies for more than 10 years

Pros

CEO is very very competent. The stock price goes up. How many CEOs have we seen that have laid off thousands of employees and drive the stock price down to zero. Health Benefit was upgraded this year to lower price and make it simpler for employees. 401K, RSUs, Bonus, ESSP We work hard and long hours but this is the first time in my career where I feel I am being compensated for my.

Cons

Vacation balances were ended. Not sure how this will work in the long run. Many Excellent people were laid off. Some excellent people left after the LSI acquisition and Broadcom acquisition. Great company to work at if you don't want to get promoted. Our Workforce is aging and we are not recruiting younger employees. I think this is very dangerous.

Advice to Management

We need to invest in younger employees

Avago Technologies2016-05-31

"Name keeps on changing, but nothing else does"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Great compensation and benefits - Great co-workers - Office politics rare

Cons

This company used to be part of Hewlett-Packard before spinning off into Agilent Technologies and then spinning off again into Avago Technologies. Recent acquisitions of LSI and Broadcom gives the appearance of growth and change, but behind the scenes it's business as usual. Engineers are promoted into leadership positions and there are very few, if any, really groundbreaking ideas being generated. Most people... are just coasting through their careers, collecting paychecks, and turning the engineering crank. If you are interested in an exciting, high energy, high growth environment where you are doing meaningful work, this is not your company. If you want to spend the next 20 years getting paid really well and become really good at doing one thing over and over, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

No sense in giving advice to people who appear successful on the surface. My only question would be, "Do you REALLY enjoy the work you are doing?"

Avago Technologies2016-02-03

"Avago Detailed Review"

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Avago is one of those companies, you either love it or hate it. As of writing this review Avago is rated very low, but I have learned to appreciate Avago model. If you are a B+ or A player, can manage high workload, without pat on the back and hugs from management, Avago is place for you. If you are just average, or slightly above average, well, then it comes down to your luck! Avago key to success is getting work... done with as little overhead (i.e. Headcounts) as possible. It is process-lite company with fastest decision making I have ever seen. The same holds true for firing decisions.. Management tries to see if next year they can get by with 5-10% less head count than last and same goes on every year... so if you can survive cuts, go for it. I must say, it get's tiring though, and you question why are you still with Avago and then you look at your pay check and unvested equity and then you go back to work. Pros include: Excellent RSU and Bonus program and RSU matching - likely in top 90% for tech industry, not many companies can come close to Avago total compensation. That being said, it's managed like a cheap start up, so you can't expect much goodies, other than solid pay check and excellent variable compensation. A bright future lies ahead for Avago, at least for next few years.

Cons

It's managed like you would manage a private business, very cheap, but extremely efficient, very lean, no complex org hierarchies, fastest decision making, things move fast here, but you work your *** off to get things done, fast! This is not a company you can call home or get comfortable with, Avago keep you on your toes. Coming from LSI that was major difference, all tools and processes are based on one... criteria, keep cost low, regardless of user experience. No focus on training, career development etc, if's up to you to manage that. Despite all that, because of great stock appreciation and a superb bonus plan/pay outs, there is extremely limited voluntary turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep driving stock up! I don't think Exec mgmt read comments to get any advice ;)

Avago Technologies2015-07-15

"Below Average Place To Work"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good 401k plan, decent benefits, good co-workers.

Cons

Avago management is all about bottom line and does not really care about employees. They buy companies (LSI, Emulex and now Broadcom) and remove (70% or so, or more) their employees (layoff) and then only keep "key" staff. Everything is micromanaged from the top down.

Advice to Management

Wake up!!!

Avago Technologies2015-05-30

"Avago's Purchase of LSI Really Trashed It"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

LSI had decent facilities, and I had my own dedicated set of a great deal of top-of-the-line test equipment. The best part about LSI was the benefits package. They had good annual bonuses, very good medical coverage, and LSI "contributed" $2K to cover any deductibles.

Cons

At least in the facility I was in (Mendota Heights, MN), there was an overly strict head-count for management and for the top technical ranks. So, people that were deserving could not get promotions, and there were "managers" that were having to do the role without really having the authority because they weren't official managers. But, the biggest problem with LSI now is that an overseas company: Avago bought... them out. Avago puts half the percentage of revenue into R&D as LSI did, plus they considered the business unit we were in as a "cash cow". As a result, they laid off essentially the entire R&D staff. A lot of really talented engineers were lost. Also, Avago is a very cheap company. Everything is done on the cheap, so the benefits administration is horrible, etc. (All my ratings are for the current setup (Avago), not for what LSI was like when I was there.)

Advice to Management

If you don't want to invest in LSI's disk preamps, then spin them off and let them thrive on their own, like they were before you bought it.

Avago Technologies2015-06-08

"Uncertainty prevails after multiple mergers and sell offs"

Software Test Engineer

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

Decent benefits , work/life balance stable work force till the mergers and acquisitions last year Good variety of technology

Cons

No direction of where the company is heading. is it only about the stock price now? Employees not excited to work there. Fear of layoffs loom large Too much central control in decisions Benefits not as good as they were with LSI

Advice to Management

Need to build employee moral . All we hear is speculations and who is next to go

Avago Technologies2015-05-07

"Positive outlook for stockholders, negative outlook for employees"

in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Great bonus and equity potential, good co-workers, was a better company prior to merger. Stock price is increasing rapidly.

Cons

Culture split between legacy LSI and classic Avago is stark - classic Avago staff seem to go out of their way to be unhelpful. Frequent layoffs and skeleton crew staff levels. East coast is expected to be on a west coast/asia schedule for meetings.

Avago Technologies2015-03-18

"Improvements at xLSI"

Middle Management in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Within the first few months of acquisition of LSI the new management ferreted out the VP & GMs of poorly performing divisions of LSI and took decisive action to rid itself of non-performing leaders and BUs. These were critically necessary and bold decisions to remove the Executive VPs that were running political fiefdoms draining the company of precious R&D funding

Cons

Due to market demands of quarterly growth results, often the focus tends to be short term

Advice to Management

Continue to identify and pursue long term growth drivers for the company to gain market leadership in key focus segments. Never rest on past laurels.

Avago Technologies2015-03-08

"Not a nice company any more"

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

LSI used to be very good company to work for. Good working environment. Good product and profit margin. Work and life balance

Cons

Since acquired by Avago, it is a completely different company. New management only care about sheet balance and paper number. Force everyone come to office no matter if the work can be remotely done or not

Advice to Management

keep talent people not only look at the paper sheet balance

Avago Technologies2015-01-29

"Focused on test storage system with a directly on performance measurement MegaRAID Products."

Current Employee - Systems Performance Analyst/Software Test Engineer in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Avago Technologies is a global company and semiconductor industry. It is over 10,000 employees in world wides.

Cons

After the transition LSI merged to Avago, The company work style is terrible. Many people had feeling insecurity about their personal info may be shared to outside.

Advice to Management

The management system is unclear. The management levels are driving for project so confusion. workload sometime got overlap to other teams.

Avago Technologies2015-01-24