Avago Technologies "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Avago Technologies Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 19, 2019

Found 278 reviews

2.9
Avago Technologies CEO Hock E. Tan
Hock E. Tan
Pros
  • "Fast work environment, smart people(in 19 reviews)

• "The company does support its employees and allow them freedom to do thier best work with a good work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is not a R&D or a cutting edge product development company any more; just focused on increasing margins(in 15 reviews)

• "Some excellent people left after the LSI acquisition and Broadcom acquisition(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great People, Iffy management decisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. They are fun to work with and not a lot of office politics. The company does support its employees and allow them freedom to do thier best work with a good work/life balance.

Cons

Good company to work for they support thier employees well but have made some poor management decisions on staffing that forced a later decision to layoff about 15% of the people working in my business unit.

Advice to Management

When a group is slipping on its comittments try in getting more help or slowing down the project schedule and look beyond the near commitments. This will keep you from laying off people in large quanties.

Avago Technologies2017-03-05
  2. "Good company"

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time

Pros

Good 401k compensation plan, good bonus, work-life balance, great working environment and decent people from old HP-Agilent to work with.

Cons

Health plan not very competitive, especially with spouse covered, salary ok,

Advice to Management

Less meeting and give more time for Engineer to work

Avago Technologies2015-11-11

"Focused Entirely on Profit, not People"

Marketing

I worked at Avago Technologies for more than 8 years

Pros

Profitable, good products. Staying power.

Cons

Management focused only on bottom line. Acquires other companies and then initiates massive layoffs. Only back-stabbing yes-men survive as managers in this company. CEO is a tyrannical dictator where it's "my way or the highway". Telecommuting is strictly forbidden. Work-life balance tilted heavily towards work, work, work.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most important assets -- remember that. They are not chattel to be squeezed dry and discarded.

Avago Technologies2015-07-06

"Uncertainty prevails after multiple mergers and sell offs"

Software Test Engineer

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

Decent benefits , work/life balance stable work force till the mergers and acquisitions last year Good variety of technology

Cons

No direction of where the company is heading. is it only about the stock price now? Employees not excited to work there. Fear of layoffs loom large Too much central control in decisions Benefits not as good as they were with LSI

Advice to Management

Need to build employee moral . All we hear is speculations and who is next to go

Avago Technologies2015-05-07

"IT Application Engineer"

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time

Pros

Stock price has appreciated temporarily after recent acquisitions

Cons

Workforce is exploited for short-term profit by Senior Management (employees are basically told this in Quarterly Review meetings for all employees). IT Department is run by a pro-Indian CIO, while males/females can forget about getting hired in the Bay Area or elsewhere (blatant discriminatory hiring preferences which skirt around US diversity laws (Indians are not classified as a distinct Ethnic group under US... Federal Law and they know they can get away with it). Company has dumped US workforce in order to hire cheap offshore labor (Penang, Singapore, India). Compensation and Benefits are minimal to below-average Work/life balance is low as they exploit their exempt (full-time) workforce with overtime hours across all functions/roles and world geographies Constant acquisition/divest and re-organization means constant layoffs across all functions/roles (expect to be layed-off)

Avago Technologies2015-05-19

"Best gig in town"

Current Employee - Unit Process Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Compensation is above industry averages * Product is exciting and compelling * People are very friendly and helpful * Work / Life balance is by far the best out of any previous companies I've been at

Cons

* Slow pace of work * Management / Politics can be frustrating * CEO never visits Ft Collins and has no idea of how we really operate the FAB powering the company (honestly this may be a pro...)

Avago Technologies2015-02-25

"Not the place to work as a young engineer"

ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Good company to work for if you want a an engineering job where you do next to no work and collect a paycheck. There's amazing work/life balance because you'll likely work only 25-30 hours per week since there is no work to do.

Cons

The business model of Avago Technologies is to purchase mature businesses and then drive them into the ground through extremely aggressive layoffs, R&D cuts, and project cuts. The CEO has said himself that he does not care what we sell, he does not care about his employees, and he does not care about engineering. All he cares about is making the AVGO stock price go up. Avago does this by purchasing mature... businesses and then running them 40-60% cheaper, effectively running them into the ground but turning massive operating profit. How do you run a successful and established business 40-60% cheaper? You layoff half the work-force, you cut all projects, you cut benefits, and you put a "hold" on promotions and raises. My company LSI was purchased by Avago about a year ago now. I've been told that I have absolutely no opportunity to move up in the company and that I will not get a salary raise for the next 3-5 years. This is because I make significantly more money than other entry level engineers in Avago, so they need to "even me out". I would not recommend working for Avago under any circumstance, especially if you're a new engineer like me. This is not a company that is established on cutting edge products, hard work, and good engineers. It is established on cannibalizing businesses and conglomerating them into one company to make the magic investing equation "1+1=3" work.

Avago Technologies2014-12-20

"CMOS ASIC Design Center in Ft. Collins"

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Comfortable office with a few nice bene's. Dates for deliverables clearly identified. Yearly bonus is generous.

Cons

Performance review is a joke - does not reflect employee's (required) self-evaluation; does not include goals set by employee. No salary increase for (5+) years citing "industry standards." But after a recent merger, it was learned that Avago paid well under what other companies paid. Forced to take new assignment well outside of field of expertise. Middle management are simply the ditch-diggers for upper management... who don't value employees as persons. Layoffs involve persons over 50 almost exclusively. Work-life balance is a catch-phrase (only). Emails from customers, coworkers and managements at all times of the day, night, and weekends, suggest that 100% dedication weekdays is not nearly enough. Middle management does not have an independent thought - merely reflecting what upper managers dictate without any pushback. Outsourcing many jobs.

Advice to Management

Consider an employee's background and interests when making assignments. Listen to employee's suggestions during performance review. Worst HR of any company I've ever worked for and not effective. Taking HR-mandidated training several times per year is not a replacement for a staffed HR department. Staff up HR and make it a real investment instead of token place-holder for handling layoffs.

Avago Technologies2014-11-10
  9. "Avago Technologies is a good place to work, and the schedule is flexible"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning quickly interactively, training, work-life balance

Cons

Management sending and receiving communication with employees is poor

Advice to Management

Supervisor's need to spend more time with operators and in the Clean Room

Avago Technologies2014-08-12
  10. "Good Tech Company"

Current Employee - Expert IC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life Balance and good compensation

Cons

No telecommuting and not much vacation for new employees

Avago Technologies2014-06-08