Availity Reviews | Glassdoor

Availity Chief Executive Officer Russ Thomas
Russ Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Weak senior leadership that isn't held to the same standards as the rest of the workers (in 8 reviews)

• One of the things that drew me to this company was the predominantly female leadership team (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the top 5 places to work in Jacksonville"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, good benefits, a software company culture in a central location next to two highways and an outdoor mall. Perhaps the nicest corporate office in jacksonville with multiple break rooms stocked with snacks, ping pong and pinball machines. Availity invests in their technology stack, personnel, processes and physical office to maximize teams effectiveness. The company is also invested in the community with mentors for school children and in charity with United Way and others. Nearly everyone is engaged, intelligent and happy to come to work every day which in I.T. is not always the case.

Cons

A company growing at nearly 20% per year is not for everyone. Flexibility and adaptation are critical competencies and some people cannot adapt at the pace needed for their own success. Teams are tightly aligned and occasionally realigned around getting projects completed with aggressive deadlines, but not any more so than any other growing software organization. People who do not like to be busy at work should not work for Availity (or any other growing organization)

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in best of breed management tools (like workday, achievers, JIRA etc), people, training, unique amenities and career paths to attract and retain top talent and scale with the high growth. Strong middle management will close any real or perceived gaps between individual contributors and senior leadership created by scaling up.

Availity Response

Jun 12, 2017 – Availity

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm and letting people know what’s great about working at Availity. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our leadership. Contact us at... More

2. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are a family. They promote from within and it's a great place to learn.

Cons

The company lacks an official training program so it can be difficult for new hires. They continue to cut staff and are working current employees way over capacity. Senior leadership boasts about their transparency but after 2 reorganizations and 2 reductions in force recently with no warning I would disagree.

Advice to Management

You can not support a product with a skeleton support crew. Developing is great but if your front lines can not successfully implement and support your awesome product it doesn't matter how great it is.

3. "EDI Specialist"

Former Employee - EDI Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - EDI Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These are some of the nicest folks around. I was welcomed with open arms and enjoyed talking to the people in the office. They treat their people well.

Cons

My job could be very repeatitive, and I got bored easily.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on streamlining the flow of processes!

4. "Client Service Rep"

I have been working at Availity full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, amazing co workers

Cons

Very busy and always changing- but changing for the better!

5. "Client services"

I have been working at Availity full-time

Pros

Good co-workers, good starting pay

Cons

People are terrible on the phone, hard to get help

6. "Client Service Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly staff and supervisors. Great improving training techniques.
    Overall, awesome place to work. Always enjoyed coming to work!

Cons

More focus on metrics, and not enough on call quality.

Advice to Management

Stay open for communication.

7. "Great place to get a jump start to your career"

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee centered employer with a strong relationship with its employees .

Cons

Has strong tendency to chance the shiny object but not completing past things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with the employee relationship and make that the top most priority rather than the next shiny object that can get you distracted from your real goals.

"Rewarding, fulfulling atmosphere; terrific people"

Current Employee - Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Availity is a great place for people who are hard working, who enjoy working with others, (teamwork is everything here) and can be adaptable to change. Almost everyone here has a great attitude.

THere's a lot of business coming in the door, which is awesome.

We have great amenities: food for purchase, a gym, a game room and flexible work hours. There's almost always left over food from meetings so I eat for free at least twice a week. And there's almost always a food truck outside.

Cons

We're growing fast so I've had some teammates leave my team for another where the need is more urgent - and that's not uncommon. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but as I said you have to be comfortable with change here.

Advice to Management

Nothing really. Maybe try to get a Starbucks food truck???

9. "Nice Job"

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great amenities, nice people

Cons

Not as technical as the job description described

"CEO protects senior leaders at all costs"

I have been working at Availity full-time

Pros

A decent pay structure but regardless of how you perform, you are disposable at any turn (if you don't report directly to CEO). If you are ok with being payed a decent salary but working long hours and treated horribly. This is an option for you.

Cons

The CEO, Russ Thomas, is a short timer. He wants to avoid turnover within his direct reports AT ALL COSTS. This means accountability always rolls downhill. If you are a direct report of SLT (senior leadership team) or a manager who reports at next level down then you know that you are facing the gauntlet every day because he will always look for the lower man on the totem pole to blame as not to have to take any actions himself with SLT. And the senior leaders know this so their behavior just gets worse every year.

It only further perpetuates the negative atmosphere that the senior leaders are all backstabbing each other as well as their teams while the CEO sits back and watches with a big smile. This Donald Trump leadership style does not bring out the best in people, surprisingly (insert sarcasm), nor does it lend to the most conducive environments for production.

When you spend more time in "cya" mode or trying to rationalize concepts with your irrational leaders who are doing their best to discredit you, it's not a recipe for success.

Advice to Management

They are too egotistical to actually listen to any. They are just wondering who wrote this review but I took steps to make sure they can't link this to me.

They will have a harder time finding someone who DOESN'T agree with this review within the Company. The CEO should show he's a respectable leader by taking some actions on his own team (but we all know he won't). Lead by example - if you know what that means.

And EVERYONE knows who the leaders are who should have been replaced by now. It's a running (and sad) joke that the leaders who are the worst would literally have to commit a federal offense and be held accountable externally before the CEO would deal with their maniacal behaviors appropriately. I've heard a few of our leaders referred to as "crazy" "bipolar" by so many people both internally and external to Availity that it's just become an embarrassment. We just hope they leave when he does at this point.