Availity Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Availity Chief Executive Officer Russ Thomas
Russ Thomas

Pros
Cons
  • Weak senior leadership that isn't held to the same standards as the rest of the workers (in 6 reviews)

• No career advancement or exposure to technology as agreed during interview, (in 3 reviews)

"One of the top 5 places to work in Jacksonville"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, good benefits, a software company culture in a central location next to two highways and an outdoor mall. Perhaps the nicest corporate office in jacksonville with multiple break rooms stocked with snacks, ping pong and pinball machines. Availity invests in their technology stack, personnel, processes and physical office to maximize teams effectiveness. The company is also invested in the community with mentors for school children and in charity with United Way and others. Nearly everyone is engaged, intelligent and happy to come to work every day which in I.T. is not always the case.

Cons

A company growing at nearly 20% per year is not for everyone. Flexibility and adaptation are critical competencies and some people cannot adapt at the pace needed for their own success. Teams are tightly aligned and occasionally realigned around getting projects completed with aggressive deadlines, but not any more so than any other growing software organization. People who do not like to be busy at work should not work for Availity (or any other growing organization)

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in best of breed management tools (like workday, achievers, JIRA etc), people, training, unique amenities and career paths to attract and retain top talent and scale with the high growth. Strong middle management will close any real or perceived gaps between individual contributors and senior leadership created by scaling up.

2. "Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed, positive growth, good work life balance

Cons

Long hours if you're not engaged.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees informed.

3. "Fast Pace"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Availity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always changing, learning new information. Relaxed environment, Good people

Cons

Poor communication, lack of support at times and management communication

Advice to Management

Try to retain contractors rather than finding a reason to get rid of them

"Developer II"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Availity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snazzy office, and its easy to collaborate, especially when you have no room or personal space to work in. Devs in team rooms are almost sitting on top of each other.

Cons

Its like going back to highschool, if you're not in the cool kid clique you will most likely get fired or they will make you miserable until you leave.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, the company would be better off.

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Availity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work with some smart people, facilities are nice, standup desks, decent hardware, daily food trucks, and discounted self-service cafes on each floor.

Cons

Weak senior leadership that isn't held to the same standards as the rest of the workers. The environment can be cliquish with people that have been there for 8 or more years. Poor hiring lately with people that are not qualified for their roles, this puts more work on others which doesn't help when meeting corporate goals. Benefits are not that great and have gone up again this year. More layoffs are probably coming.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people quickly that are not making the cut. The Sr. leadership team is not very strong, and changes should be made at that level. Mr. Thomas has been a big disappointment.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The work culture at Availity is very collaborative and empowering. Everyone is willing to contribute positively to the team and it makes for such a wonderful work environment.

Cons

No Cons at this time.

"not a healty place to work ... position titles do not match work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Availity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some good people work there

Cons

job descriptions and titles not what you end up doing.

"Yet another year of lay offs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Availity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Once was a great company for a career
    The company has good PTO benefits
    The hours are great

Cons

The new leadership team consistently does a huge lay off each year, job insecurities, no career. People wonder when their team will be let go or who is next.

Advice to Management

Consider repositioning good employees and offering the choice of the lower paying jobs verses the lay off when there are multiple openings within the company. Be more considerate of the great employees you already have verses turning lives upside down.

10. "acs representative"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

relaxed environment. no scripts calls. approachable management

Cons

it's cold. no paid holidays as contractor. 1 yr "no promotion" lock after being hired from contracted

Advice to Management

keep on keepin on

"Great place to work if you are very smart, very nice and a hard worker"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Availity (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are very smart, very nice and a hard worker because they fire people who are lazy, mean or unpleasant which is great. You don't have useless co-workers taking up space and making other people's jobs harder. Sometimes they let people go for other reasons though, so you really can't judge too much. But it's great to have pleasant, smart, hard working co-workers. Their benefits are quite good too, great Health Insurance (they are self-funded) cheap Dental and Vision, they match 5% on 401K. I have been there a long time so I get 28 days PTO per year which is great. They have offices in Jacksonville, FL, Indianapolis, IN, Dallas, TX and recently Montana and a few Remote positions here and there. If they are desperate for your skills they will hire you Remote to work from home but that is rare. Sometimes they let you work from home now and then if you have like the Cable guy coming or something like that. It is Manager discretion. Most Managers are pretty nice. The mean ones are not there long, 1-2 years tops before they get rid of them. The company does seem to care about employees, they've gotten a few awards for best place to work or something like that. They have a gym in the Jax office and offer lots of healthy webinars and classes to learn to be healthy. They have lunch rooms, microwaves, refrigerators, free coffee, tea and filtered water. They have food trucks that come almost every day and snacks for purchase in the lunch rooms. The day before a holiday they let you go home at 3pm, so that's 2 hours early which is very nice. They have company wide meetings once a quarter to let you know what's going on in the company, and how the bonuses are looking for the year, which is great.

Cons

You are expected to get a lot of work done. Over half of the IT positions have to work some weekends and evenings, but that's normal for IT people. They don't have hardly any IT Part Time jobs, and if they do its because that person has a hardship situation and has to ask/beg for it in a compelling way. Like they just had a baby, or their parent is in hospice, or they have a severe health problem. As soon as that situation resolves they expect you to get back to full time. And if a Part Time person leaves, that job goes right back to Full Time. I've heard that if you work at least 30 hours you still get benefits at a proportional reduction. Whether you are allowed to work part time or not is again, Manager discretion. So even if your spouse is dying of cancer, your Manager could still say no you cannot work part time, and HR would not override that. HR pretty much does what the company wants them to do. Don't expect HR to stick up for you too much. The company used to let people work from home several times per week, but now they don't, which is a shame. That was a great benefit that they took away a few years ago because a handful of people abused it. They should have just fired those people and not punished the rest of us. I really, really miss that since my commute is over 45 minutes each way.

Advice to Management

Let people work part time if they want to. HR should not leave it up to the Manager. Why does it have to be a hardship situation? It's not fair that one person may have a very driven Manager that will say "no" and another person has a laid back Manager that says "yes". I am seriously considering leaving this wonderful company because I'm at a point in my life where I need to work part time for personal reasons which I do not care to share with anyone. I should be allowed to do that and keep my great job. I feel like no one there is on my side about this work/life balance issue, not HR, and not my Manager. I shouldn't have to divulge my personal life to work part time. It should just be a normal choice and not held against you.