KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Avalara and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Wonderful Company

Jun 15, 2022 - Customer Success Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people, lovely work environment.

Cons

Wonderful people, lovely environment! Great company

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing about your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback and we’re grateful that you’re part of our orange team.

2. 4.0

Great Company Overall but We Can Do Better

May 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, this is a great company. However, a recent change in policy (see below) and lack of communication was disappointing.

Cons

They recently changed their remote worker policy and have decided to group work from home/flexible work arrangements with remote. They are not the same. Those of us that were hired as remote employees were hired under that work agreement because we do not have the ability/choice to commute into an office. We also were provided with a stipend as part of our compensation to offset expenses that other employees do not incur because they report to an office (ie. office supplies and etc.). They announced without any previous communication with remote employees that this will be taken away at the end of this year even though it was discussed in salary/benefit discussions when an offer of employment was made. The communication before the announcement was not existent and very poorly handled. I thought we were better than that. This was very disappointing and not representative of the kind of company that Avalara has been and says it wants to continue to be. It was very disappointing.

2 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about the remote work stipend and we're cross sharing it internally. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used To Be Great, Declining

May 8, 2022 - Sales in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are smart, good people My manager has my back Office Perks WFH Option for Remote Employees Good Health Benefits Relevant Product, Good Niche

Cons

* Very long ramp up period learning all the acronyms and how to navigate cross-functional teams for help. Salaries under par for current, tenured employees. New hires enter at much higher salaries causing long-time, loyal employees to feel disgruntled. *Heavy churn across all departments currently due to below-market salaries and slow adoption of improvements other tech companies offer such as fully remote positions and 4-day work weeks. Company response is to point to "culture" upgrades such as Employee Resource Groups (based* on military service, race and sexual orientation), an extra personal day off, and expanded maternity/paternity leave (not a benefit for those of us no longer having children). Company has not increased paid holidays as other tech companies have to include MLK day. Based on many complaints, Company improved stock vesting schedule. However instead of improving salaries, company pays raises in RSU's, which are taxed twice and not worth it considering stock price has crashed.

6 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about salary and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Company - but they could be great and choose not to be

Mar 28, 2022 - Tax Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance, collaborative efforts cross-team, many self-driven and engaged employees, many interesting projects to lead. Good benefits, and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Biggest con: This company loves to brag about how great our numbers are while not backing it up with pay. Company meeting was all about "record breaking years" and "first time made a profit" yet raises couldnt even match inflation. They bring new hires in at a higher pay than tenured employees, and then refused to bring talent that has been loyal to the company up to the new market rate.

5 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about pay and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good culture . under market pay . good benefits . hard to move up

Mar 9, 2022 - Tax Analyst in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working at Avalara with the Denver office team. My manager and colleagues were amazing! Good benefits . lovely culture . flexible depending on who your manager is. Good PTO (just make sure not to take it during the filing cycle). Loved the diversity and team events. The Denver is so awesome and it made it hard to leave.

Cons

Some managers have micro management perspective. Hard to move up. Only if you know some higher management, you could move up The pay is not great and they are not willing to adjust to meet inflation and other circumstances. Not willing to match external offers. They keep bragging about numbers they're achieving but not willing to pay more. They're hiring new people with same position but paying new hires more instead of their current employees who already have the needed experience.

3 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience. We strive to offer competitive compensation packages and are sorry to hear you feel we missed the mark. If you’d like to share more information so that we can improve for the future, please contact avalisten@avalara.com.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worst company to work for

Jun 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

No Pros ... check their reviews on customer service for products.

Cons

The managers are not good to work with. All the SVP,VP and Directors are new to Avalara and they don't have any training in how to conduct an interview. They behave as if they are doing a favor in conducting your interview. Senior people don't waste your time and energy on their stupid length unorganized interview process. The managers forget what they ask in interview and again conduct an interview.

1 person found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to write. We want all Avalarians and prospective Avalarians to feel supported and valued, and we are sorry to hear you feel we missed the mark. We’d like to learn more about your experience if you’re open to sharing. Please contact avalisten@avalara.com to continue the conversation with us.

7. 3.0

Amazing People - Terrible Execs

Jun 29, 2022 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at or below the Director level is amazing

Cons

Benefits Salaries Top-down decision making

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Culture, culture, culture

May 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is top notch

Cons

Bring remote. In Houston, we no longer have an office so I get jealous of the office get togethers that the offices do have.

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about office activities, especially from the perspective of remote employees, and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Doesn't value their employees (unless you're on the sales team)

Jan 18, 2022 - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Recently improved some employee benefits (brought them up to industry standard). -Great business potential in the industry, and a great product too. -They seem serious about improving diversity & inclusion, which is awesome. That isn't going to work long term though if they don't address the issue of politics in business decisions.

Cons

-It's all about politics here. There are several people in senior leadership that make decisions based on what they want instead of basing it on data and what's best for the company. -The company hands out expensive gifts to clients, board members, and senior leaders, while having the most basic benefit and compensation packages. The money goes to what they care about (so not employees). The only exception to this is the sales team because they are seen as the ones who bring in business. -Just announced they are having everyone come back to the office in the first half of 2022 while covid numbers are at an all-time high. Again, they make decisions based on what they want, not based on data. Leadership seems tired of the pandemic. -Basic compensation & benefits packages. They pinch pennies when it comes to low and mid level positions. -CEO is out of touch with employees and kind of rude.

11 people found this review helpful