Avalara Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2020

3.8
Avalara CEO Scott McFarlane (no image)
Scott McFarlane
Pros
  • "Sense of team, amazing tool to sell, growing company, great self-marketing tools to use for prospecting(in 23 reviews)

• "Flexible work schedules with opportunities to work from home as needed provide excellent work/life balance(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is running this place in the ground(in 22 reviews)

• "Some growing pains, but the company is proactive with addressing these issues(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Invested leadership team, culture, employee perks

Cons

high growth has led to exposed issues with internal tools, but teams are always working to improve

2. COVID-19

"Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time for less than a year

Pros

I find my work to be very engaging, I enjoy my coworkers, and I have a lot of trust in leadership. They've really stepped up for Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter in showing genuine caring and concern for employees. One former con was a strict policy about working from the office, but it appears we will have flexibility for work from home after the Covid pandemic ends.

Cons

Some progress has been made in breaking down silos, but there's still a lot of work to do. Lots of systems and processes need to be updated and streamlined.

"Great Place to work."

Current Employee - Engineering Department in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Growing company ever changing. It's a fun place to work for a company this is growing at this pace.

Cons

Some growing pains, but the company is proactive with addressing these issues. Senior management is digging into issues and addressing.

"Love the Culture"

Current Employee - Engineering Director

I have been working at Avalara full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tremendous opportunity , great products , great leadership

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

"Incredible opportunity ahead of us"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales, Enterprise and SIG in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Avalara 3 years ago and I thank my lucky stars every day on my decision. The culture, pace and opportunity are incredible as well as the industry we serve

Cons

The pace is incredibly fast so you'll struggle if you're not organized and lack much needed energy!

6. COVID-19

"My favorite place to work so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience at Avalara has been incredibly positive. This has been my most favorite place to work so far in my career, which is saying a lot because I have worked with some amazing people in the past. I will highlight some of the things I particularly enjoy about Avalara below. The leadership team at Avalara is highly engaged, motivated, enthusiastic about the business and responsive to feedback from customers and employees. There is a clear leadership hierarchy, but at the same time it's not a purely top-down approach. Ideas from all levels of the org are encouraged and heard. Avalara has a growth mindset and they are always learning and improving. They are never satisfied with the status quo and it's clear this is a very ambitious company. Scott, the CEO, is very kind, empathetic and involved. His response to Covid-19 and systemic racism issues around the world in 2020 has been very impressive. The company has not been silent on these issues. Scott encourages and supports various employee resource groups and task forces, which allows everyone's voice to be heard on these very important topics. The people I work with on a daily basis are very passionate, intelligent, friendly, productive, driven and diverse. The culture at this company is not something I can even put into words, except to say it's amazing.

Cons

Prior to Covid, I would have said lack of physical office space was a con. The company has been growing quickly, which led to somewhat cramped and noisy conditions with little privacy. However, since Covid this is not a problem with so many people working from home.

Continue reading

"Fast growing company that cares about employees and customers"

Current Employee - Director in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture, great incentives, caring executive management with extensive communication, a company trying to do what they feel is right socially, long term viability and surviveability.

Cons

Multiple changes every few months to compensate for massive growth. Be ready for change and agile to adjust.

8. COVID-19

"A Supportive and Positive place to work everyday"

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leadership has shown a tremendous amount of care for their employees during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter movement. We've had open dialogues with Executives, received tools to make working at home easier, have activities each week for kids of Avalarians who are home from school that are educational and fun, a very thoughtful roll-out plan for moving back into offices when it is safe, and many other small items that have led me to truly feel valued. We work with very intelligent, competent people who all want to do the right thing every day. I am more proud of my company today than I have ever been.

Cons

We move very fast so it can be high-stress at times.

9. COVID-19

"Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are the best. Very smart, fun, hard-working, folks care about doing things the write way... I haven't met anyone who sucks yet. Leadership actually does seem to care about everyone, I've never worked somewhere where they've gone to this extent to make sure everyone is looped into the mission, happy with their work environment, etc. Great aesthetic in the offices. Free (good) beer on tap. And we're somehow growing in the middle of a global pandemic, so that says something about our business.

Cons

There are a lot of teams inside the building and they're still learning how to work together, but everyone seems to be moving in the right direction.

10. COVID-19

"I've drank the orange kool-aid"

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Avalara full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Avalara is an exciting company to be a part of particularly at this point in time. The growth and support from all groups has been amazing to witness. Compensation is more than fair, benefits are great, office culture is comfortable, collaborative, and overall upbeat. Management invests in resources and programs to grow their current employees professionally and personally. Feedback is openly welcome and typically acted upon. We may be a company that is spread across different offices and different countries but they do a fantastic job of making us all feel united and close. Upper management and C-Suite are involved, visible, and accessible. Additionally, they often have town halls or "ask me anything" events in all office locations. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon! In it for the long haul and largely invested in the companies short and longterm goals.

Cons

Aside from during Covid-19, remote of flex/remote work is not widely accepted. The majority of the company is expected to be in the office each day.

Found 396 reviews