Avalara Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott McFarlane

Pros
Cons
  • But they are drinking buddies in the "good ol' boy club" with upper management (in 12 reviews)

• The commute to the Bainbridge Island office in addition to a drive and bus ride makes for a long day (in 11 reviews)

1. "Growing Company - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to express your entrepreneurship and innovative traits.

Cons

Issues with talent retention.

Advice to Management

Embrace your existing talent.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time

Pros

Growing company domestically and internationally. Great energy. Automates compliance for businesses of all kinds; ultimately, every business will do that, just like payroll. People care.

Cons

Usual operational challenges due to growth. Requires passionate people given the lofty goals so not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Set one strategy and stick to it. Focus on simplifying operational aspects of the business.

"Good people but frustrating environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people, interesting challenges to solve, competitive benefits and salary

Cons

Culture of overwork, communication issues between teams with such fast growth, management struggles to maintain consistent direction that allows you to feel you accomplished something

Advice to Management

Don't burn people out

"If you're in sales, just stay away"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free beer after hours, if you don't have a life and no one to go home to. That's about it.

Cons

Worst micro-management I've ever experienced. Which might not be SO bad if the sales managers actually knew what they were doing. Completely clueless. Their entire philosophy is "dial more numbers", "send more emails" and by default, you'll just magically make more money. A couple years ago, the company thought they were growing a lot faster than they really were and over hired sales reps. By a long shot. The entire sales organization has been struggling ever since. They had to let a bunch of people go, and created new (worthless) positions for other people they didn't want to can right there on the spot. But ultimately, it was a position where management hoped people would just weed themselves out. It worked. People were quitting left and right, while those that hung on (miserably) were given more and more restrictions, month after month, systematically guaranteeing their failure. Then they hold "team meetings" where managers berate their entire team for missing quota. If anyone mentioned the restrictions and how they made it very challenging to hit quota, they would literally get screamed at and told to "find employment elsewhere, if you don't like it". On top of that, we were consistently given fake leads then we would get yelled at for "not working them". We were trying to sell sales tax calculation software, but we were expected to work leads for non-profit organizations, government entities, utility companies, and a laundry list of other businesses that had no use for our software. For the handful of leads that were actually good, the majority would say they weren't interested, then their contact information would go into a list that was called ad emailed over and over, day in and day out by two dozen desperate sales people, until they demanded we never call again, blocked our phone numbers, and registered our email domain as spam. If people asked me what I did for a living, I literally told them I was a telemarketer. Morale couldn't possibly get any lower across the entire sales team.There are a few "superstars" there, who are force fed all the high quality, big $$ opportunities and are raking in the cash. But they are drinking buddies in the "good ol' boy club" with upper management. If you don't spend all your "free time" (what little is given to you) drinking and partying with upper management, then you are just given the leftover scraps that the managers BFF's couldn't close. While these few sales reps are blowing their numbers out of the water, the entire rest of the sales force was struggling to even come close to quota. Customers were constantly furious, because they were sold products they didn't want or need, but were sold them at a highly discounted rate and the only way to get the "great deal" was to purchase multiple products as a "bundle package". Everything would seem great, and we'd get them into this fully automated system, then when their automatic renewal comes around, their cost for using the products would increase 200%. Customers would be irate and threaten to cancel, but it was so difficult to undo the automation, and go back to a manual process, that they were practically stuck with the product. Either pay full price, or cancel and deal with months of difficult work to undo everything and get back to the manual process and get your books back in order. I could go on and on about all the cons and negativity, but you can just scroll down through all the other reviews to see everything else that's wrong with this company. As stated many times before, the majority of the positive reviews are clearly fake.

Advice to Management

If entire sales teams are failing en masse, maybe you should look at the source of the problem, rather than the result. Poor management that doesn't care about their employees and puts zero effort into training them unless they're drinking buddies.

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Reliable Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reliable Engineering in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Idid not find any pros there

Cons

I worked in Ops team. Horrible team members. No team work. no team help at all. Needed to make schedule to just to know a simple thing as new hire. Was given tasks and not help from senior team mebers. All by yourself.

Advice to Management

Fire those type of employees. as per offcer, supposed to get 10% bonus, not given at all.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned something new, met some good people. Great for type A's.

Cons

Marketing department was competitive and uninviting. Growing quickly. Some good people but most were out for themselves

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work-life balance, great people, relaxed environment

Cons

Poor planning and delivery of operations processes

Advice to Management

Improve internal processes and communication

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Open and creative work environment, everyone there seems to love their job and be passionate about the product

Cons

No major downsides to be noted except a low salary for a software company. I had a great experience as an intern here and would reccommend it to anyone

"Inside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were helpful and willing to get you up to speed. They also provided great training and information about the product once you start.

Cons

Definitely a boy's club type of environment. Also, the commute was not great (though I think they have moved their offices to Downtown Seattle so this might have changed). You could also see that some people were favored over others and thus got more leads or better opportunities to advance.

"Mediocre exec leadership and blown opportunities"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Avalara is in a market with a lot of opportunity but this can work for and against you. Even with poor execution, the business has managed to stay afloat.

Cons

To begin with, I’ll second the reviewers who have spotted the obviously fake reviews posted by HR.

There was a time, around 2015 to early 2016, when Avalara had a reasonably talented engineering team with a lot of energy, motivation, and determination working on pretty exciting tech but a lot of that group has since moved on to other opportunities. I guess the CEO and engineering leadership have decided that retaining talented engineering resources is not a top priority. In my opinion, this was one shot they had to be a legit tech company, now they’ll probably end up as a second tier sales company.

Coming from engineering, you have the usual problems that plague a lot of large or growing companies.
    Lots of date driven waterfall exercises, political infighting and legacy/outdated tech. Thats less than ideal but manageable in my opinion.

The deal breaker for me was the leadership. Their strategic vision could not have been executed more poorly. This, coupled with key leadership departures and talent drain on the engineering side makes for a bleak outlook for the company.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO